copperband butterfly white spots with heavy breathing

smmarano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this copperband around 3 days ago, first day didn’t notice anything, second day I noticed white spots but no difficulty breathing. He would NOT eat on both days. Now on the third day he ate one mussels. On the fourth day, today he ate a mussel a little bit but is heavily breathing.

All parameters are within range, including ammonia. And using UV sterilizer in tank. No medications yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got this copperband around 3 days ago, first day didn’t notice anything, second day I noticed white spots but no difficulty breathing. He would NOT eat on both days. Now on the third day he ate one mussels. On the fourth day, today he ate a mussel a little bit but is heavily breathing.

All parameters are within range, including ammonia. And using UV sterilizer in tank. No medications yet.
Only spot I see is on its tail and looks to be lymphocystis which is common with butterflies and lg species angel. Often this is associated with poor water quality and/or diet deficiencies. The water quality could have been that of the LFS where you got it.
If eating mussels, offer it clam which is more desired but the CBB needs more than that. Mine is an eating machine and first food was LRS Herbivore diet then went to Ocean Nutrition clam on the half shell and now eats everything including flakes and pellets.
How are you testing ammonia?

OP
OP
S

smmarano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only spot I see is on its tail and looks to be lymphocystis which is common with butterflies and lg species angel. Often this is associated with poor water quality and/or diet deficiencies. The water quality could have been that of the LFS where you got it.
If eating mussels, offer it clam which is more desired but the CBB needs more than that. Mine is an eating machine and first food was LRS Herbivore diet then went to Ocean Nutrition clam on the half shell and now eats everything including flakes and pellets.
How are you testing ammonia?
I have a seachem ammonia badge, I gave him a clam yesterday and he ate some. I gave him another today and has no interest whatsoever in it. And would the lymphcytis explain the breathing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a seachem ammonia badge, I gave him a clam yesterday and he ate some. I gave him another today and has no interest whatsoever in it. And would the lymphcytis explain the breathing?
Breathing - Assure your water is not elevated in nitrate or ammonia. I do not trust a $7 badge to determine water quality for a $50-6-70 fish
I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at. I suspect ammonia is higher that you are seeing. Also increase oxygen via an air stone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on finding out what your ammonia level is at. I would also add some aeration, that can only help things. Then, if the ammonia is <0.25 and there is good aeration and the fish is still breathing fast, you need to consider treating it with praziquantel for flukes, and/or copper for gill protozoans.

Jay

OP
OP
S

smmarano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on finding out what your ammonia level is at. I would also add some aeration, that can only help things. Then, if the ammonia is <0.25 and there is good aeration and the fish is still breathing fast, you need to consider treating it with praziquantel for flukes, and/or copper for gill protozoans.

Jay
I found out the ammonia was high .5 and did a 50p water change, and added ammonia remover both a floss like and chemical remover. The fish has had aeration for a while, but now after everything he’s still breathing heavy; the only difference is now he’s only breathing heavy on one side?
image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing on one side is an oddity I usually see on emperor angels, never saw it on this species before.

At this point, I think you need to consider dosing the tank with copper or prazi - I don't have any indication as to which to try first, so it is a bit of a guess.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back