Copperband butterfly wiping out pods ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are guessing but you are assuming.
Disagree. His tank is over 50 years old, most "experts" don't have that kind of first hand knowledge.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to seed pods in my sump. Will they make it through the sponge filter into the return?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about the copperband? Didn't you start this thread by stating the copperband has already wiped out most of your pods?

Just about every fish in my tank, other than tangs, eat pods. My anthias love pods, my royal gramma loves pods, wrasses love pods, even my damsels eat pods. OK, maybe not my clowns either, but all my other small fish seem to eat pods.

I've dosed pods to my tank a lot before I started culturing them.... never was able to maintain high enough numbers without adding them. culturing them is free and super simple.
I did but according to some people, the copperband shouldn’t be eating the pods. It can’t even see them. I took a look at your thread. You think it’s pretty easy to keep a culture going ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had 6 dragonnets in a 29g/20? Hex with 20g fuge. I moved and took the tank down but my oldest mandarin was 5 years with me at the time. I did not buy pods other than when I set the tank up.

I have seen starving mandarins in 100g. Tank was too clean guess.

The pods will breed based on the amount of food available.

In my case, my tank was a macro algae dominated tank and I fed the pods in the tank pellets. Was very easy to keep the fish fat. They eventually starting eating frozen and pellets too.

You can see Paul’s tank isn’t sterile. I see some algae, no biggy. The pods probably enjoy it.
You fed the pods regular fish pellets ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never understood why people buy pods. I never bought one and I have a breeding pair of mandarins, breeding pair of ruby red dragonettes and a breeding pair of blue stripe pipefish. Those fish live in my tank for many years and I never run out of pods.

I am not sure why that is but I am glad I don't have to spend money and time on them when they multiply so fast.
I think many tanks are just to clean. But I am guessing. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gorgeous. I am struggling to keep tank dirty. Can’t even turn skimmer on. Just waiting for these fish to get out of qt. That should help with pods. Do you add phytoplankton ?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are guessing but you are assuming.
Semantics. :)

Gorgeous. I am struggling to keep tank dirty. Can’t even turn skimmer on. Just waiting for these fish to get out of qt. That should help with pods. Do you add phytoplankton ?
I don't add phytoplankton and I don't quarantine. By the way, Don't call me Gorgeous. :anguished-face:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did but according to some people, the copperband shouldn’t be eating the pods. It can’t even see them. I took a look at your thread. You think it’s pretty easy to keep a culture going ?
Very easy. nothing to it. I haven't had to touch mine other than adding a little food every now and again, or topping up with a little water.

Get a container, fill it with used tank water. Add a banana peel or some live phyto, then wait a few days for the water to really turn green, then just add some starter pods and wait. In a few weeks the bins will be teaming with pods. just scoop out whatever you need. I used tigger pods and they reproduced like crazy.
Now I kind of wished I would have put a different variety pod in the second container.... I'll probably do that next year.
I'd like to try the tisbe or apex pods too.

Back