Copperband Butterflyfish in a reef tank?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one or two in the past, great for eating aiptasia. But they also develop tastes for lps and clams. IMO feather dusters shouldn't be sold. If you can get one that eats prepared foods and keep it fed well you might have luck. They are not aggressive eaters and timid so if you have aggressive eaters in your tank they may not get any food and search for something else to eat

jaa1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for around 4 months now, It ate the few aptasia that I had and all of the tiny white feather dusters in the tank. It has not once gone after anything else except my nassarus snails, it picks at their eyes and breathing tube. Mine is on the aggresive side I would say when it comes to feeding. I put in a cube of PE mysis and it takes the entire cube. It even chases my purple, yellow and Barine tang away from the mysis, and 2 of the tangs are bigger than the copperbanded. It took almost a month to get him to eat mysis steadily and to get the eye to mouth thing figured out, for picking food out of the water. It will also occasionaly eat the smaller pellets as well. I also have 3 clams in the tank 2 were added after the copperbanded and it just swims right past them and picks at the rocks all day. I do have a nice stockpile of pods though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back