Copperband Damaged Beak

jknorr23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone. I received a fully QT’d Copperband Butterfly yesterday and noticed last night it has a damaged beak. I’m not sure if it occurred during shipping and I just didn’t notice it at first or if something happened as soon as it was introduced to the tank. It was being bullied for about a half hour by a yellow tang, but everything calmed down pretty quickly. It showed no interest in eating this morning, which I know can be common for the species. I just wasn’t sure if there’s anything I could do to improve the chance of survival, since I know an injury like this can affect the eating of an already picky fish. Thanks for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone. I received a fully QT’d Copperband Butterfly yesterday and noticed last night it has a damaged beak. I’m not sure if it occurred during shipping and I just didn’t notice it at first or if something happened as soon as it was introduced to the tank. It was being bullied for about a half hour by a yellow tang, but everything calmed down pretty quickly. It showed no interest in eating this morning, which I know can be common for the species. I just wasn’t sure if there’s anything I could do to improve the chance of survival, since I know an injury like this can affect the eating of an already picky fish. Thanks for your help!
Can you post a picture and a short video taken under white light? Copperbands certainly have an issue with damaged snouts during shipping/handling but the degree of damage has some bearing on their potential for recovery.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jknorr23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture and a short video taken under white light? Copperbands certainly have an issue with damaged snouts during shipping/handling but the degree of damage has some bearing on their potential for recovery.

Jay
I couldn’t get a clear video, but I managed to snap a couple quick pictures. When it looks straight on at you there’s red marks visible at the tips and from the side, it seems to have a small upturn. It’s not shy and otherwise seems quite healthy, but I don’t have a good feeling about getting it to eat something.

Attachments

• 0D5004E5-EA0C-4A97-B69F-573A25A41A76.jpeg
    0D5004E5-EA0C-4A97-B69F-573A25A41A76.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 38CFF8B3-34A8-4E12-8752-6963DA96218C.jpeg
    38CFF8B3-34A8-4E12-8752-6963DA96218C.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 70

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look infected, at least not severely. That means the damage is more mechanical. Unfortunately, there isn't any "treatment" for mechanical damage other than time, and of course that is a problem with it not feeding. Does it show any interest in food? I see that it was pre-quarantined, have you contacted the dealer about this? While snout damage isn't unheard of during shipment (like if the delivery people tossed the box around) I wonder if it had some damage prior?

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back