Copperband feeding issue and redish spot on tummy

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish hate you. :eek: There "was" nothing wrong with that copperband, but there is now unfortunately.

I am not sure why I have been putting fish into my natural tank for over 40 years and never once had to medicate or dip in anything. I think that copperband in a natural tank would be eating and putting on weight and in a week would be looking for a date. :p

We never think about the fishes state of mind. We need to read their mind and they are easy to read, look into their eyes, even though they have small eyes. :rolleyes:
Remember, they can see you, they can see your living room, look out your door and see the nerdy looking guy across the street washing his car. They see all those open spaces in your home but they can't get there.
A copperband especially needs real hiding places in real rock with real copperband food, not bloodworms which are freshwater anglefish food.
That fish would flourish in a natural tank and there would be no needs for medications of any kind. All I have is Alka Seltzer, but that is for me when I disagree with Humblefish even though we love each other. In a very Manly sore of fishy way. :rolleyes:

I'm only giving you a thumbs up because I love the way you and Humblefish bicker back and forth. You're kind of like the Odd Couple. Good thing you love each other (in a manly way). Keep at it; it makes my day. [emoji225]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There "was" nothing wrong with that copperband, but there is now unfortunately.

You can't know that just by looking at the fish. Maybe he could have dropped that CBB straight in his DT and been fine. Or maybe it would have been a disease disaster. Still love ya, Paul. ;)

@Humblefish @aykwm
Also would another fw dip help? Or just straight cp furan kana GC after a wc
I would just focus on CP + antibiotic treatment for now.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, you can do FW dip, but you already have CP on hand so you can add it directly. How many gallons is your tank? You want to add 500 mg tablet for every 5 gal (@60 mg/gal) to 7.5 gal (@40 mg/gal) of water. Remember that 500 mg tablets contain roughly 300 mg of pure CP.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you never treat for disease??

That is correct. Not in maybe 40 years.
Fish come to us with a working immune system, I just make sure the fish keep it. No matter what they have, they get cured in a properly functioning, natural tank with no medications.
I have no medications and no hospital tank.
I added 4 fish this week. Two purple Queen Anthias and 2 flasher wrasses. 2 weeks ago I added a possum wrasse.
2 of my yellow wrasses jumped out in the last 6 months and a flasher wrasse.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't know that just by looking at the fish. Maybe he could have dropped that CBB straight in his DT and been fine. Or maybe it would have been a disease disaster. Still love ya, Paul. ;)

It just seems odd that I never have to treat a fish for anything. Maybe it's my good looks. :p

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems odd that I never have to treat a fish for anything. Maybe it's my good looks. :p

But new fish do still die in your aquarium from disease, correct?

It's just that your established fish never show any symptoms, because presumably they have developed immunity?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, you can do FW dip, but you already have CP on hand so you can add it directly. How many gallons is your tank? You want to add 500 mg tablet for every 5 gal (@60 mg/gal) to 7.5 gal (@40 mg/gal) of water. Remember that 500 mg tablets contain roughly 300 mg of pure CP.
Total water volume is aporox 15gal (20x12x15" =16g)

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @aykwm
So guys finally for approx 15g water volume:

500mg x 3 tablets of cp
General cure
Kana 500mg
Furan2

Correct??
I just got vitamin c,can I dose that??

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan, but make sure to have good oxygen in tank and watch for bacterial bloom.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But new fish do still die in your aquarium from disease, correct?

It's just that your established fish never show any symptoms, because presumably they have developed immunity?

No, that is not correct. In all the years I have been posting on this board and 6 others did you ever see me post that any one of my fish died of "disease?"
No, you did not.
They may starve to death because I got a fish that I can't feed correctly like an orange spotted file or a twin spot gobi that I should not put in my tank because they require special foods that I don't feed. I sometimes buy or get for free a fish that is severely diseased and I try to cure it, and some of the time they live. But the normal fish I buy for my tank " never" die from disease.
As I have been saying, and although I still love you (in a fishy way) I know you don't believe me and I know you can't believe me because of all the disease diagnosis you give out to all the fish that "seem" to get sick on here, but my fish "never" but "Never" die from disease. I explained why many times and even wrote a book to explain it. You know my theory, fish come to us completely immune. All we have to do is put it in a normal, natural tank with no medication that screws up it's immune system and feed it foods with bacteria in them that allows the fishes immunity do what it is supposed to do. You can come here and throw a fish in my almost 50 year old reef with any disease you can find and see what happens, which will be nothing.
This month because some jumped out and one large Bangai Cardinal died of old age I added about 5 or 6 small fish. They are fine and will be fine for years. It's just a matter of food and bacteria.
I don't remember how old my present copperband is and you know some of my fish are 26 years old, some are 18 and the 20 or so others I have no idea how old they are because I totally forgot when I got them and I lost their birth certificate.
All of the paired fish are spawning which is a great sign of a fish being as healthy as it can be. I posted them with their eggs many times.
I think my method is much simpler, cheaper and safer than the other method because I get 100% disease free fish with 100% assurance that they will not get sick. I was going to say 99% but I can't remember ever having a fish die from disease as it probably must be 40 years ago and I can only remember 39 years.
I may soon take down my tank because my wife is not doing as well as I had hoped and she requires more help from me and possibly a smaller home. If that happens I probably will not have a tank because I am a "little" older than you. (but better looking) :eek:

I added two more of these and a couple of flasher wrasses that like to jump on to the light or the algae trough or the floor. They find the smallest place to jump because, unfortunately healthy fish or spawning fish can jump higher than sickly, weak fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is not correct. In all the years I have been posting on this board and 6 others did you ever see me post that any one of my fish died of "disease?"
No, you did not.
They may starve to death because I got a fish that I can't feed correctly like an orange spotted file or a twin spot gobi that I should not put in my tank because they require special foods that I don't feed. I sometimes buy or get for free a fish that is severely diseased and I try to cure it, and some of the time they live. But the normal fish I buy for my tank " never" die from disease.
As I have been saying, and although I still love you (in a fishy way) I know you don't believe me and I know you can't believe me because of all the disease diagnosis you give out to all the fish that "seem" to get sick on here, but my fish "never" but "Never" die from disease. I explained why many times and even wrote a book to explain it. You know my theory, fish come to us completely immune. All we have to do is put it in a normal, natural tank with no medication that screws up it's immune system and feed it foods with bacteria in them that allows the fishes immunity do what it is supposed to do. You can come here and throw a fish in my almost 50 year old reef with any disease you can find and see what happens, which will be nothing.
This month because some jumped out and one large Bangai Cardinal died of old age I added about 5 or 6 small fish. They are fine and will be fine for years. It's just a matter of food and bacteria.
I don't remember how old my present copperband is and you know some of my fish are 26 years old, some are 18 and the 20 or so others I have no idea how old they are because I totally forgot when I got them and I lost their birth certificate.
All of the paired fish are spawning which is a great sign of a fish being as healthy as it can be. I posted them with their eggs many times.
I think my method is much simpler, cheaper and safer than the other method because I get 100% disease free fish with 100% assurance that they will not get sick. I was going to say 99% but I can't remember ever having a fish die from disease as it probably must be 40 years ago and I can only remember 39 years.
I may soon take down my tank because my wife is not doing as well as I had hoped and she requires more help from me and possibly a smaller home. If that happens I probably will not have a tank because I am a "little" older than you. (but better looking) :eek:

I added two more of these and a couple of flasher wrasses that like to jump on to the light or the algae trough or the floor. They find the smallest place to jump because, unfortunately healthy fish or spawning fish can jump higher than sickly, weak fish.

Wow.. IV never qt my new fish before, but when I went through velvet and lost many, I had to qt all be fishes. However I lost more fishes in qt, I don't know for what reason,but I did.

What do u do if ur fish is suffering through flukes? It's a killer. Would u mind sharing your system? 50 years old system is great.. I'm 29..lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you did not.

My mistake; I guess I was not accurately remembering this conversation we had on here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-qt-method.233325/page-4#post-2745991

I thought you said you bought a sick fish once, it developed white spots & died, but your existing fish remained unaffected? :p

That is true. That is how I get a lot of my fish because most things are curable in a couple of days and the store is glad to get rid of them. Most of them live, but of course they don't count. :rolleyes:
I recently got a copperband for five bucks because most of them in the store already died or were getting last rites. I cured his flukes, in a day or two and he was a great fish. I gave him away because my old copperband doesn't like competition. I also recently got these 3 shrimpfish covered in ich. One died the next day. No problem as I like parasites, they keep up the immune system. But that is a secret and I don't like to let it out. :cool:
I think way to much ink is wasted on parasite problems as they are so simple to cure but your fish should not get them in the first place. But you know how I feel about that so I don't want to get into it as I am trying to eat some fantastic stuffed calamari.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All ribbing aside Paul, I sincerely hope this does not happen. If I lived closer it would be my honor to help you maintain that tank for as long as possible. I would just need to wash my hands really good before sticking them in my tank. ;)

I'm also very sorry to hear that your wife is not doing well old friend. I love you, man. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Bobby, I appreciate that. She wants "needs" to downsize as my house used to have me, Her, our Daughter and I built it as a Mother Daughter so her Mother lived here also, but her Mother died last year so we have a lot of stairs and she has trouble with them. She is also usually in pain, especially today when it is almost 100 degrees.

My mistake; I guess I was not accurately remembering this conversation we had on here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-qt-method.233325/page-4#post-2745991

Yes I do remember that conversation. I bought (very cheap) 3 shrimpfish. They all had ich but one was "covered" in ich as you remember I mentioned that. I immediately put all three in my reef. One died in a few days, the others lived for a few months completely free of disease but with 2 spawning ruby red dragonettes, 2 spawning mandarins, 5 queen purple anthias, 2 spawning bluestripe pipefish and 2 dragon face pipefish I couldn't hatch enough shrimp every day for all of them, so the shrimpfish died, but not from disease.

You can see many of those fish here all of which I still have except the shrimpfish. Look at how many shrimp they eat and they are not all in this video as the rest are at the movies.
Notice the pipefish and ruby red are pregnant. The mandarin just gave birth because she is always pregnant.
You can see one shrimpfish at the end near the top right.

And here

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just need to wash my hands really good before sticking them in my tank. ;)

Don't you quarantine your hands for 72 days before you stick them in your tank? :p

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u do if ur fish is suffering through flukes? It's a killer. Would u mind sharing your system? 50 years old system is great.. I'm 29..lol

This thread is not supposed to be about my tank and there is a many years long thread about it on here. (Humble reads it every day)
I don't know about flukes because my fish don't ever seem to get them as I have never seen them or dipped anything in anything for any reason unless as I said, I got a very sick fish for free and I am experimenting.
Maybe fish immunity also takes care of flukes. I also don't find flounders although I have often added small flounders that I caught in the sea.
Experimenting is how I discovered that I could cure ich in a day with a combination of copper/formalin and quinicrine hydrochloride.
The only medication I have is this bottle of copper/formalin which is from the 70s, it is still almost full and was made in Brooklyn. I only use it as I said for experiments or if I get a sick fish for free.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the treatment would be Kanaplex + metroplex + Furan-2.

Have you done a fw dip on him yet to check for flukes?

I have api general cure (has prazi and metro) which ill mix with food

antibiotics will give it the kick it need to heal faster

but what do u think about titanium dioxide??

I just got vitamin c,can I dose that??

However I lost more fishes in qt, I don't know for what reason,but I did.

I am sorry but that copperband now has absolutely no working immune system. "If " he lives you will need to be very careful to keep any bacteria or other pathogens away from him for the rest of his life.
Humble will totally disagree and is even now turning bright red with rage and wish a Supermodel would come to my house and stick a long spined urchin in my left eye :eek:

He is typing so fast that I can smell the smoke coming off his keyboard now even though I live 1,000 miles from him. :rolleyes:
I also would like to see some spawning fish after they went through all this medication. :cool:
He is typing even faster now so I have to get off of here before he burst into flames. :confused:
I don't want that to happen because he is my BFF. :p

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back