Copperband keeping mouth open after second dose of Praziopro

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I have a medium sized copperband that has been in 20g long QT with 4 black mollies and 1 strawberry pseudochromis. Wood airstone on 24/7 and using a Tidal 35HOB filter. Copperband has been in for 6 weeks. First dose of Prazi done 12/21 and second dose 12/28 based on Marine Parasite website recommendation. CBB has been eating well both black worms and fresh clams and is nice and plump. First dose of Prazi was 4.8ml in 20g water. I did 25% W/C and added carbon on 12/26 then removed carbon and added another 4.8ml on 12/28. Since starting the second dose, CBB mouth stays partially open and appears to have difficulty feeding. Taking some black worms but not able to "slurp" them as well as before and seems to be missing them when he tries. Getting about 20% of what I am feeding him. All the other fish seem perfectly fine. Water is a bit cloudy but that happened after the first time I dosed the Prazi as well. Other than the eating, the CBB seems perfectly fine, no blemishes, maybe breathing a bit faster, seems hungry and wants to take food. Any suggestions? Thank you for any advice.

Greg

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my prazi bottle says to do 1 tab per 20L then 25% water change after 48hrs and can do it 7 days later again. If anything goes wrong they say to do a 50% water change and discontinue use. its 100mg of Praziquantel per tab (BluePlanet brand probably australia only) i used it recently but imo copper seems to be the shotgun approach. Did it have flukes to beginwith?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prazi pro is known to curb appetite and reduce oxygen levels
Increase O2 if you can as simple as an air pump and air stone
Also test and verify your ammonia, nitrate, salinity and temperature aren’t elevated

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I have a medium sized copperband that has been in 20g long QT with 4 black mollies and 1 strawberry pseudochromis. Wood airstone on 24/7 and using a Tidal 35HOB filter. Copperband has been in for 6 weeks. First dose of Prazi done 12/21 and second dose 12/28 based on Marine Parasite website recommendation. CBB has been eating well both black worms and fresh clams and is nice and plump. First dose of Prazi was 4.8ml in 20g water. I did 25% W/C and added carbon on 12/26 then removed carbon and added another 4.8ml on 12/28. Since starting the second dose, CBB mouth stays partially open and appears to have difficulty feeding. Taking some black worms but not able to "slurp" them as well as before and seems to be missing them when he tries. Getting about 20% of what I am feeding him. All the other fish seem perfectly fine. Water is a bit cloudy but that happened after the first time I dosed the Prazi as well. Other than the eating, the CBB seems perfectly fine, no blemishes, maybe breathing a bit faster, seems hungry and wants to take food. Any suggestions? Thank you for any advice.

Greg
Can you attach photos of the CBB now?

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding.
1. I have an air stone running.
2. My ammonia is 0 on the hang on monitor.
3. Salinity is 1.023.
4. Temp 78 degrees F.
5. I will get a picture today when the lights come on.
6. I plan to do a 50% water change and add new carbon this evening (that will be 48 hours for the 2nd dose).

Greg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding.
1. I have an air stone running.
2. My ammonia is 0 on the hang on monitor.
3. Salinity is 1.023.
4. Temp 78 degrees F.
5. I will get a picture today when the lights come on.
6. I plan to do a 50% water change and add new carbon this evening (that will be 48 hours for the 2nd dose).

Greg
Did you dose prazipro or some other form? I’m worried that the prazi is a red herring here, and has nothing to do with the fish’s issue. Can you get a respiration rate on it? Just count the gill beats in 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Do that a couple of times and average the results.
Jay

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose prazipro or some other form? I’m worried that the prazi is a red herring here, and has nothing to do with the fish’s issue. Can you get a respiration rate on it? Just count the gill beats in 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Do that a couple of times and average the results.
Jay
Hello Jay:

thanks for responding.
1. I am using PraziPro ready to use liquid concentrate.
2. Respirations counted on 3 separate times average 68 rpm.
Here are several images:
IMG_3246.JPEG

IMG_3247.JPEG

here is a 17 second video:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish actually looks pretty good - much fatter than the ones I usually see pictures of here! Breathing rate is spot-on perfect. I really do think the prazi is a red herring, and something else is going on. CBB have very delicate snouts of course, perhaps it banged it? Or maybe it has something stuck in it?

You know, the more I look at it - that is one REALLY fat CBB. Has it always had that much bulk? I'm wondering if there could be some edema going on here....

Jay

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not always been as fat. He was thinner when I purchased him 11/25/2020 and I have been feeding it live or fresh frozen clam shavings in addition to live brine shrimp and the live black worms. One other event I thought about was I fed it a fresh black mussel for the first time to give it some variety a day before his feeding changed. I usually split the calm, rinse with RO and then just drop it in the tank. As of this afternoon, he seems to be eating better - more normal as far as the eating of black worms. I thought I would try the fresh clam and see if he can pick at it as usual after I do a 50% water change and add some poly filter pad and carbon to my HOB filter.

Lastly, this AM 3 of my 4 black mollies were dead. Also saw several dead black mollie fry which is the first time I have seen the mollie fry in the tank. The lone left over mollie seems fine and is eating well.

I am encouraged that he seems to be stable but not sure what went on with the mollies. The strawberry pseudochromis seems absolutely fine.

Greg

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re read your last reply. He is such a voracious eater for the clam shavings, I note sometimes that he tries to gulp down shavings that might be a bit thick (shame on me) and maybe one got stuck at some point. Maybe I should not feed the frozen clam shavings or at least make sure they are very thin and easier for him to pick at. I usually hold them in a long forceps and he will pick at them, I open the forceps and he will pick off whatever residual is left. He will only eat live brine or the worms out of the water column.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jay, that CBB seems bulged. I've had my CBB for a year now. He's grown in diameter. Probably an inch in the last year and is a model citizen. I've never seen his gut bulged and he eats like a pig. Sometimes he'll eat more than my tangs in a 5 minute period. My tangs are twice his size. But he never gets fatty / bulged. I feed homemade frozen food. -- Freeze dried mysis mixed into the blend of Scallops, Tuna, and large shrimp (all grated while frozen and mixed into some bottles of selcon, max aminos for fish, and green and red powder for coloration and nutrition. My CBB can't get enough of it. Eats it out of my hand. He has a white at the center of both of his eyes, which led me down your path of flukes. I'm on my first 72 hour period of dosing. So far, he's eating more than usual. Tomorrow afternoon will be 48 hours and NYD will be 72 hours since I dosed Prazi pro.

I don't see any eating issues or open mouth issues that you're seeing. If anything he's more hungry than before.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not always been as fat. He was thinner when I purchased him 11/25/2020 and I have been feeding it live or fresh frozen clam shavings in addition to live brine shrimp and the live black worms. One other event I thought about was I fed it a fresh black mussel for the first time to give it some variety a day before his feeding changed. I usually split the calm, rinse with RO and then just drop it in the tank. As of this afternoon, he seems to be eating better - more normal as far as the eating of black worms. I thought I would try the fresh clam and see if he can pick at it as usual after I do a 50% water change and add some poly filter pad and carbon to my HOB filter.

Lastly, this AM 3 of my 4 black mollies were dead. Also saw several dead black mollie fry which is the first time I have seen the mollie fry in the tank. The lone left over mollie seems fine and is eating well.

I am encouraged that he seems to be stable but not sure what went on with the mollies. The strawberry pseudochromis seems absolutely fine.

Greg
The 3 black mollies dying is worrisome since we don't really know why. 75% mortality always makes me sit up and take notice! I just don't know what could have happened to them....

Jay

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my 50% water change, added carbon and poly filter. Seems to be eating fine now. I plan on keeping him in QT for another 3 weeks at least. I will give an update tomorrow.

OP
OP
Quiverfull

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Seems to be fine - healthy, fat and acting normally. The lone Molly is doing fine without evidence of ich. The only problem I have is getting him to eat frozen/prepared foods. Does great with fresh and fresh/frozen clam and black worms. Thanks to all of you for your advice and support.

Best for a New Year.

Greg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Seems to be fine - healthy, fat and acting normally. The lone Molly is doing fine without evidence of ich. The only problem I have is getting him to eat frozen/prepared foods. Does great with fresh and fresh/frozen clam and black worms. Thanks to all of you for your advice and support.

Best for a New Year.

Greg
Thanks for the update!
Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back