Copperband Post-Qt Lethargy

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I need some fast help. I have a copperband who has been eating like a pig, anything I put into the tank. He went through a 40 day QT, with prophylactic treatment of Copper Power, Metroplex, and API GC (Metro + Prazi).

I him to my DT 2 weeks ago. No issues have been noted. He was still eating and has been peaceful. He usually greets me at the front tank glass when I approach.

Today, I put some frozen food into the tank, per usual, and the copperband literally laid on the sand right infront of my eyes.

He seems lethargic , maybe breathing a little fast, but switches from swimming around the tank to lying on his side breathing rapidly. I am bringing up the salinity in my QT To transfer him but I need some ideas. I have no idea what’s wrong with him. No spots, no injury, no red marks. All tank parameters are normal as always for me. Doesn’t make sense for him to act like this after having him for 2 months..

thanks In advance.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT REGIMEN is 30 days of copper power near 2.5 with frequent testing.
Then I dose metro and GC concurrently.
Day 1: Metro
3:GC
5:Metro
7:Metro
9:GC
11:Metro

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any suggestions really, but other fish are present and ok?

If only fish, I would look at elemental things... electrical current, poisoning, something weird.

Laying down is something I've never seen my CBB do. I did have one just give up eating for no apparent reason and wither away... Not what you have going though.

Edit to add: O2 depletion?

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. All other fish in the display are acting fine. His behavior is isolated. No stray current. No possible contamination that I’m aware of. O2 should be fine. Have good surface tension being broken and skimmer is working fine.

Video of Behavior

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said it's been eating like a pig but he looks a little thin to me. Especially at the end of the video when you see it head on. It should be meatier up top I think. What were you feeding and how much do you think it ate every day?
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I couldn't see the vid on my phone but I've seen it now. That guy is way underweight. He has no strength which is why he's unable to stay upright.

Whether he just isn't eating enough, or has a parasite I couldn't say... unfortunately he has a serious uphill battle. I would transfer him out so there isn't any competition for food. Honestly I doubt it will survive though, terribly sorry. As I mentioned before, I had one that was in great shape and then just decided to go on hunger strike. Strangest thing and nothing I could do to entice him. They are notorious for being difficult to feed, don't take it personally.

It did look like a little clouding of the fins, which might be ich. I know that doesn't make sense given the QT, but perhaps it's snuck into your DT some other way and he's since been re-infected during the 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. He ended up passing. He would consume tons of frozen when I put it in the tank and was actively foraging. I feed 2-3 cubes of frozen a day. Disappointed in my ignorance. I can see how you’d say he was thin, I just didn’t notice it. I examined him post Morten and didn’t find any other signs of illness. Thanks for the help guys.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. Always sucks to lose them when you’ve obviously put a lot of time and energy into their well being.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. He ended up passing. He would consume tons of frozen when I put it in the tank and was actively foraging. I feed 2-3 cubes of frozen a day. Disappointed in my ignorance. I can see how you’d say he was thin, I just didn’t notice it. I examined him post Morten and didn’t find any other signs of illness. Thanks for the help guys.
Sorry to hear. It was eating so you thought things were ok, don't be too hard on yourself. I've just seen mine fatten up over the last year and seen the change, so I had a good comparison. How many fish do you have and what size is your tank? 2-3 cubes is a bit more than I feed mine and they are all thick. I'm feeding about a cube and a half in a 280 with a bicolor angel, hippo tang, cbb, 2 maroon clowns, royal gramma and lemon chromis. That seems like a lot of food unless you have a lot of fish. Your other fish are ok? No ammonia? Is something else eating all that food?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back