Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
291D5055-6D0A-42A8-BE64-5B217C2D983C.jpeg
E2588EC6-9102-4A0C-962F-36703CD71E20.jpeg
E6FBAB04-8979-462A-B301-3EEF9E94DBA8.jpeg
Hey everyone, looking for Qt help. This is my copperband in qt with a quoyi.He has had full cupramine treatment for 3.5 weeks and is day 2 in the second treatment of prazipro. Both fish had flukes and possibly black ich. When I initiated second treatment I noticed rubbing and he has some sort of sore or wear mark above his eye area .Is this a reaction to prazi? Or uronema? Pre signs of brook or just a bacteria infection from rubbing probably from the worms leavinghis skin.

I plan on doing a large water change tomorrow and pulling all meds to see. Thoughts? He is still eating very well but Quoyi is on a hunger strike since the second treatment of prazi.

I need to get the quoyi out of this 30g he’s sad.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fairly nondescript lesion, not definitive for anything, making it really tough to offer any treatment plan.

I doubt it is uronema. Could be a reaction to the flukes leaving the fish, but it also could be Brooklynella.

How did you confirm that your fish have flukes?

Remember, You need to aerate well (not just circulate the water) when dosing Prazipro.

Jay

OP
OP
Unorthodox_Reef

Unorthodox_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fairly nondescript lesion, not definitive for anything, making it really tough to offer any treatment plan.

I doubt it is uronema. Could be a reaction to the flukes leaving the fish, but it also could be Brooklynella.

How did you confirm that your fish have flukes?

Remember, You need to aerate well (not just circulate the water) when dosing Prazipro.

Jay
Thanks I did have and aerator in the tank also 2 power heads and a trickle filter. I fresh water dipped the cpb 2 times already and also saw one crawling on the nose of the quoyi. The cpb looked like it had lympho but it disappeared with the first treatment of prazi. I also saw what looked like 1/16” or longer hair like black worms leave the cpb at this spot. The fish in Canada have been so bad lately.
I actually did a 100% water change added some live rock and a bag of carbon. Cpb perked up and is picking and eating like a pig. Quoyi is sad and sitting on the bottom in a slime ball. Lol

So it’s a waiting game now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks to me what is known as hyphae. These are a fungus which typically consists of a mass of threadlike filaments that grow together in clumps to form mats. These spores which get released into the tank water and the sporangia matures and ruptures. The fungus feeds on all kinds of organic matter, and fish waste is one the most common foods that they ingest along with uneaten fish food. this fungus will also exhibit parasitic qualities feeding on the bodies of fish that have already been damaged by stress, injury or disease.
In many cases, fungal infections are precipitated by a drop in water quality or an increase in stress. Test the water in your tank to make sure the water parameters are in line and make adjustments if necessary.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me what is known as hyphae. These are a fungus which typically consists of a mass of threadlike filaments that grow together in clumps to form mats. These spores which get released into the tank water and the sporangia matures and ruptures. The fungus feeds on all kinds of organic matter, and fish waste is one the most common foods that they ingest along with uneaten fish food. this fungus will also exhibit parasitic qualities feeding on the bodies of fish that have already been damaged by stress, injury or disease.
In many cases, fungal infections are precipitated by a drop in water quality or an increase in stress. Test the water in your tank to make sure the water parameters are in line and make adjustments if necessary.
Just to be clear, Saprolegnea fungus doesn’t occur in marine aquariums, I’ve only seen one external fungus in marine fish over the years...
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just to be clear, Saprolegnea fungus doesn’t occur in marine aquariums, I’ve only seen one external fungus in marine fish over the years...
Jay
Hmmm- this was something expressed at Macna 3 years ago. Youre saying FW specific ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm- this was something expressed at Macna 3 years ago. Youre saying FW specific ?
Yes, Saprolegenea, the fungus with the hyphae that looks like cotton wool only grows in freshwater, the common treatment for it is salt. Marine fungal infections are internal. The only one I’ve seen that was external looked like a huge wound, I never would have thought it was fungal, but our vets did a biopsy and it came back fungus, some odd species. It responded well to formalin dips.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading the link, that does look visually similar to your fish. It isn’t hemorrhagic septicemia, that is characterized by redness which isn’t present that I can see. Additionally, that can be caused by a virus, so antibiotics won’t help. Vibriosis can’t be ruled out, but it could just as easily be other gram negative bacteria. In terms of this being an aggressive infection or not, you will know by today- if the lesions are larger, then it is, if they haven’t grown, then it isn’t, and you have more time.
So you don’t have access to any true antibiotics? Avoid using any of the fake tonic meds they sell, they don’t work, they only seem to because a number of these cases will resolve on their own...
Jay

OP
OP
Unorthodox_Reef

Unorthodox_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading the link, that does look visually similar to your fish. It isn’t hemorrhagic septicemia, that is characterized by redness which isn’t present that I can see. Additionally, that can be caused by a virus, so antibiotics won’t help. Vibriosis can’t be ruled out, but it could just as easily be other gram negative bacteria. In terms of this being an aggressive infection or not, you will know by today- if the lesions are larger, then it is, if they haven’t grown, then it isn’t, and you have more time.
So you don’t have access to any true antibiotics? Avoid using any of the fake tonic meds they sell, they don’t work, they only seem to because a number of these cases will resolve on their own...
Jay
Thank you, I will do a full inspection today. No meds in Canada... I have been lucky and ordered from the US but sometimes customs catches the order. I will ask around the local forum. But I’m pretty confident he just has an irritation from rubbing the parisites off as he was in rough shape at the lfs. In that area it looked like large cysts left also.
How long do I have before I can rule out brook? I’ve never had it before in 23yrs and have read the copper can suppress the symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will do a full inspection today. No meds in Canada... I have been lucky and ordered from the US but sometimes customs catches the order. I will ask around the local forum. But I’m pretty confident he just has an irritation from rubbing the parisites off as he was in rough shape at the lfs. In that area it looked like large cysts left also.
How long do I have before I can rule out brook? I’ve never had it before in 23yrs and have read the copper can suppress the symptoms.
Copper may suppress Brook, I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem to control it 100%. I can't really tell you how long until you can rule out Brook. It doesn't have a resting stage, but it is able to simmer along at a chronic stage for some time.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
517C266E-6CE7-45EA-A0BE-457C5F18CDDE.jpeg
B44F9E7A-3D1C-4824-B30A-787CAFFB959C.jpeg

He seems a lot better today, thank you so much for the talk. Still eating like crazy quoyi still sits on the bottom hating life. I need to get him in the 400g so he can graze.
I've been focused on the issue with the CBB, but the parrot is certainly a big concern - not sure what to tell you about that fish though. If the parrot can be moved, I think that might be best.

Jay

OP
OP
Unorthodox_Reef

Unorthodox_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thanks he is on a hunger strike now well 1.5 days. He looks good besides that and a little skinny. I’m only going to wait out 4 more days and then move him to my reef, or frag tank. I may attempt to force feed, it would be an easy fish with the parrot type mouth. But need to research the negatives. He was eating brine/ mysis and krill. But they need algae and he won’t touch nori or any other dry seaweed. He is literally depressed. Supper sad.. it’s not a good fish for qt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a peroxide dip and fuzz is gone temporarily.
Whoa, that fish has gotten really skinny since Friday. Is it eating o.k. still? Did it go through a move from low to high salinity?
Jay

OP
OP
Unorthodox_Reef

Unorthodox_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he is eating like a pig about 5 times a day I’m he gets Mysis/brine/roe bloodworms mixed with selcon and some homemade frozen. But he does mostly eat the brine...

I siphon the tank out every night about 5g water change on a minimum.

he’s been basically only eating brine though for 5weeks I think. My notes say March 27th

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back