Copperband stuck on power head now damaged swim bladder

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

cut a long story short. only yesterday did i purchase a 25litre HT for a sick wrasse. now this morning i came to feed the fish and check up on the wrasse and my copperband who was normal the day before was stuck on the power head, i turned it off and he was just floating around like he has swim bladder damage. i took him out and placed him in the hp which i have just dosed once with cauprimine. how can i treat for this? i tried to feed him, normally he's a good eater but no appetite, could i have a case on internal parasite which i believe is wrong with my wrasse. i've had no issues at all. got back from holiday 1 day ago and now this. tested water before i we t away and when i got back, all normal ..
i'm going to dose the hp with api GC.. any help appreciated

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a quick update, he can swim, it looks like he's exhausted. he swims a bit, then just lays on the floor. not eating

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copperband is a delicate fish in its own manner and unless it was swimming sideways before this power head mishap, i say it’s damage from being sucked into power head. Recovery will be difficult unless you can get it to eat in which you can add vitamins to food and monitor its health.
If it was sideways and weak already, swim bladder is treatable with neomyacin or teramyacin based medication

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
just a quick update, he can swim, it looks like he's exhausted. he swims a bit, then just lays on the floor. not eating
Good. If you can get it to eat, there’s a good shot to building its strength

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in the UK we can't get API GC but i did manage to get some before and i had 5 sachets left.
i have made some food mysis and brine shrimp with api GC and garlic mixed it, using agar to bind it all, hoping this will entice them.
The meds is have
2 sachets of api GC
Seachem Cupramine
Aqua Care Marine anti-fluke & Wormer

i was told by lfs i could dose the Cupramine and Aqua care together, i have dosed all three, but i will do a WC tomorrow

this is my first time doing this, with what i have what would you recommend?
my issue is the Cupramine states external parasites. Once i get a bit of time i need to find good alternatives that we can get here in the UK to what the USA gets

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Being in the UK we can't get API GC but i did manage to get some before and i had 5 sachets left.
i have made some food mysis and brine shrimp with api GC and garlic mixed it, using agar to bind it all, hoping this will entice them.
The meds is have
2 sachets of api GC
Seachem Cupramine
Aqua Care Marine anti-fluke & Wormer

i was told by lfs i could dose the Cupramine and Aqua care together, i have dosed all three, but i will do a WC tomorrow

this is my first time doing this, with what i have what would you recommend?
my issue is the Cupramine states external parasites. Once i get a bit of time i need to find good alternatives that we can get here in the UK to what the USA gets
Garlic extract is what we use. When added to food st a couple of drops boosts the immune snd nervous system

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Beautiful Barry the Copperband died. The Wrasse is still fighting. I hate loosing fish, especially when it could have be avoided. You feel responsible for it. The reason i say this is, if i had chose to equip myself with a QT/HT earlier and carry good QT practise this could have been avoided. So lesson to anyone newish to the hobby, don't avoid on getting a good QT set up because the money you save on not purchasing one will cost you lot more in the future.

now to get a good QT habit sorted.....

Back