Copperbanded butterfly

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Need some copperbanded advice.
My closest fish store that is 5 hours away has one and for a good price.
My tank is very new but it will be QT’d for a month if I were to get it.
My question is, if the fish is eating well.
should I buy it and if I do, what are therapeutic copper levels for copperbanded butterfly fish. I know they are pretty sensitive but how sensitive

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t treat fish unless they need it . If you get it ,check it out really good and definitely make sure you see him eat and more than just casually. He should eat somewhat aggressively . Then quarantine . And while he’s in quarantine observe him and only treat if he developed a issue .

Last edited:
OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t treat fish unless they need it . If you get it ,check it out really good and definitely make sure you see him eat and more than just casually. He should eat somewhat aggressively . Then quarantine . And while he’s in quarantine observe him and only treat if he developed a issue .
I’m new but can they not have dormant ich and other parasites/diseases that would show up later if they’re stressed?
I would like to atleast get general cure in there with them

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new but can they not have dormant ich and other parasites/diseases that would show up later if they’re stressed?
I would like to atleast get general cure in there with them

They can have parasites you won't see.

Keep in mind you are driving 5 hours (oh god gas prices) and these fish are difficult. It is made more difficult in a new tank with nothing to forage and for the unexperienced aquarist. So you may certainly not be successful. I just want to stress that.

They should be offered a diet ideally of live worms, fresh clam, and quality frozen like LRS. In the perfect world you would be cultivating live white worms (very easy but takes time to get it going) in preparing for a copperband. As a healthy copperband should always recognize these as food and eat them. If that LFS has live black worms, buy them for sure. You just change the water with fresh tap every day and keep them in the fridge. A large wide tupperware is best as they can drown so you want them in shallow water. Also have a lid as they can climb out (gross).

I don't think copperbands are particularly sensitive to medications. It is more they can be damaged internally in transport to the LFS, they are finicky eaters, and sometimes half starved already (pinched head). Cyanide caught fish will have bright colors, be hyperactive, and not eat. A healthy fish will at least be searching for food and inspecting. Although sometimes stress can put them off food.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only treated my cbb with prazipro and metro+. Cbb love to graze on live rock. They pick worms, pods, anemones off of live rock.

If you only have dead rock, may not be enough. These fish are similar as tangs. Very high metabolism and need a lot of feedings or places to graze.

If he's eating a variety of foods at pet store. I say go with it. You need to get a battery power air pump or a very large bag filled with oxygen.

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only treated my cbb with prazipro and metro+. Cbb love to graze on live rock. They pick worms, pods, anemones off of live rock.

If you only have dead rock, may not be enough. These fish are similar as tangs. Very high metabolism and need a lot of feedings or places to graze.

If he's eating a variety of foods at pet store. I say go with it. You need to get a battery power air pump or a very large bag filled with oxygen.
I’m hopefully going to have chaeto and copepods by the time he’s out of quarantine

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m hopefully going to have chaeto and copepods by the time he’s out of quarantine
He wont survive qt if not eating a lot of prepared foods. These fish don't hold a lot of body weight.

Its why I said a variety of food. Sliced clam, shrimp, bloodworms, mysis. Or even clam on shell. But, other fish are much faster eaters.

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wont survive qt if not eating a lot of prepared foods. These fish don't hold a lot of body weight.

Its why I said a variety of food. Sliced clam, shrimp, bloodworms, mysis. Or even clam on shell. But, other fish are much faster eaters.
If he’s not in the store heavily. I won’t buy him

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure its concave and not convex (underweight) above eyes.
cbb copy.jpg

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all for the great advice! I most likely will not purchase him. I want to very badly but from these comments, I feel like I am not ready
I feel the same. I'd love to give one a home as I think they're a stunning looking fish. But with their reputation as difficult feeders, and the newness of my tank -and of course my own lack of experience - I'll wait a couple of years. I've no intention of buying an animal knowing I'm very likely to kill it.

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we got our guy nearly 3 weeks ago now, and was eating well in QT but was very thin as just shipped in, we have been feeding 2-3 times a day on a variety of foods and he is smashing it down, really starting to see some good weight on him now and very happy with how its going, in saying that our tank has a monster amount of live rock for him and the Butterflies to graze on, I have on occasion seen a good eating fish in QT refuse to eat when bought home, and if the tank is new and not seeded well you may have issues

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not call them pod eaters. They eat worms. The beak is designed to get them out of the rock crevices. Like feather dusters and spaghetti worms.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great tip, can happen even on a healthy eating specimen.
I'm feeding mysis alternatively to keep mine in shape, on a lrs diet he was losing weight.

thats weird. Mine is huge fat fat fat on LRS diet. LRS is amazing stuff. Full of clam and fatty things. Mysis is like half shell.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry not trying to be too critical but realistic.
You should wait.
Hope is not a plan its random.
Copperband is not a rare fish you will always be able to get one so getting in a hurry when you and your system are just not quite ready is just asking for disappointment and most likely a dead fish.

Back