*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about a week into ramping up copper (Coppersafe because I had it in my meds to keep on hand kit) for suspected ich, I've ordered the Checker but it's on backorder so I'm currently using the API kit. Can I switch to copper power if I can get it ordered now or is it best to stick with Coppersafe since that's what I started with? I'm dosing small and testing often. I still think I'm below 2 and I've been dosing slowly for a week now.

I would just get close to 2.0ppm. When your checker arrives you will know! You can switch if you want. I would only change products if you are going to do a 100% water change and re-dose.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just get close to 2.0ppm. When your checker arrives you will know! You can switch if you want. I would only change products if you are going to do a 100% water change and re-dose.

Thanks. I'll stick with copper safe for now then as I don't want to try and do a 100% change to switch products and try to match copper levels in the process. And I'll cross my fingers that my checker backorder isn't too long. How much wiggle room is there above 2.0 before it's lethal to the fish as well? So far the fish, 3 tangs and a blue throat trigger are all still eating with gusto and it's been a week of ramping up and I'd say I'm over 1.0 but not yet to 2.0.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I am all stocked back up on reagents I did some additional testing today and have to agree with @Humblefish copper safe is all over the board, and should probably not be used, definitely not without a Hanna tester. I tested my other new unopened bottles today. Results below, pics show batch number and related test. I did test each one twice with no variation in results. Tests were performed with 1 gallon of RO, and 1.25ml of copper safe.

IMG_20180415_122456106_LL-4008x3006.jpg
My bottle that was the cause of all this matches this batch # as well^^^. It's the one that reads 3.0ppm.

IMG_20180415_123336952_LL-4008x3006.jpg

Copper Power seems to be much more consistent. I have tested several bottles with the lowest reading of 2.42ppm and highest of 2.53ppm.

I have one of the same batch, I can't wait to see if those even match... The 2.86 pic of yours. Mine arrives Thursday.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll stick with copper safe for now then as I don't want to try and do a 100% change to switch products and try to match copper levels in the process. And I'll cross my fingers that my checker backorder isn't too long. How much wiggle room is there above 2.0 before it's lethal to the fish as well? So far the fish, 3 tangs and a blue throat trigger are all still eating with gusto and it's been a week of ramping up and I'd say I'm over 1.0 but not yet to 2.0.

I'd say 2.5 is still relatively safe. Depends on the specific species to some degree if I had to guess. You have to remember, I was intentionally dosing higher than the manf instructions due to the older potency when I was encountering all the issues.

I also suspect based on my bottle concentration, and the amount dosed I was north of 4.0ppm when fish were dying.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the same batch, I can't wait to see if those even match... The 2.86 pic of yours. Mine arrives Thursday.
I'm very interested to know as well!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 2.5 is still relatively safe. Depends on the specific species to some degree if I had to guess.

My Coppersafe overdose was at 2.80 ppm until I got my Hanna Checker. Darned API Copper Test kit is worthless IMO: sure looked like 2.0 to me. The only fish in the QT that was starting to decline at that dosage was my wrasse. A Toby puffer, Dispar Anthia, and 3 Saphire Damsels were eating and acting fine. So at that concentration there was damage going on with a "copper sensitive" fish.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coppersafe overdose was at 2.80 ppm until I got my Hanna Checker. Darned API Copper Test kit is worthless IMO: sure looked like 2.0 to me. The only fish in the QT that was starting to decline at that dosage was my wrasse. A Toby puffer, Dispar Anthia, and 3 Saphire Damsels were eating and acting fine. So at that concentration there was damage going on with a "copper sensitive" fish.
Which is why the checker is so great! It has been so easy to maintain 1.75-1.85 with the checker and copper power in combination. Fish don't care at all, so far.

I also would not recommend going north of 2.0ppm, with the use of the checker, unless you encounter the rare copper resistant strain of ich/velvet.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arrives Thursday

Can I ask when you placed your order and got the back order confirmation? I'm still waiting to hear from Hanna.
Thanks!

Okay...an edit and update to my post above. I did hear from Hanna today answering my email request asking for an update on my order. I was offered, for a second time, partial shipment of my order. I responded back, a second time, I would like them to send partial shipment. I guess my order got lost in the shuffle of back orders. Disappointed...but typical of my luck.

Hopping that the checker comes soon! I really need to check my tanks to see if what my eyes tells me is therapeutic using the API test kit is correct. I'm halfway through their copper treatment and it will be heartbreaking to find out I have to start over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask when you placed your order and got the back order confirmation? I'm still waiting to hear from Hanna.
Thanks!

Okay...an edit and update to my post above. I did hear from Hanna today answering my email request asking for an update on my order. I was offered, for a second time, partial shipment of my order. I responded back, a second time, I would like them to send partial shipment. I guess my order got lost in the shuffle of back orders. Disappointed...but typical of my luck.

Hopping that the checker comes soon! I really need to check my tanks to see if what my eyes tells me is therapeutic using the API test kit is correct. I'm halfway through their copper treatment and it will be heartbreaking to find out I have to start over.

What was your order date?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered on March 23rd, got backorder email on the 24th

Thanks, Josh. I ordered a day earlier on March 22nd and received the back order notice on the 24th. I'm sure Hanna is doing their best to keep up with the many orders as fast as possible. I'm guessing the ability of individual sales reps to keep up with their workload also played a part in how quickly each order is filled. In any event, my sales rep said she could get my order out in two days if I wanted partial shipment. I forwarded my first email sent on March 24th, again, requesting partial shipment. LOL

Eagerly...awaiting shipping confirmation.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Josh. I ordered a day earlier on March 22nd and received the back order notice on the 24th. I'm sure Hanna is doing their best to keep up with the many orders as fast as possible. I'm guessing the ability of individual sales reps to keep up with their workload also played a part in how quickly each order is filled. In any event, my sales rep said she could get my order out in two days if I wanted partial shipment. I forwarded my first email sent on March 24th, again, requesting partial shipment. LOL

Eagerly...awaiting shipping confirmation.

What do you think partial shipping will be? Did you order the meter and the reagents?

Do any of you use the FedEx and UPS apps? Those apps notify me when I have packages otw before the vendor does... It's pretty cool.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your order date

Just a day earlier than the date Josh ordered: March 22. I requested an update on my order on April 13th and received a response 3 days later: Below is the email I received: The tip about "distilled or deionized water" is helpful, so I thought I would share the email. :)

"Good morning ...,

Thanks for reaching out! It looks like the cuvette cleaning solution is currently on a back order and is the reason for the hold up on your order. We can, however, do a partial shipment of the rest of your order so that you can get that within 2 days. As soon as we get the cleaning solution back in stock we will ship it out to you. In the meantime you can use distilled or deionized water to rinse out the cuvettes in between uses.

Let me know if you’d like to go ahead with the partial shipment.

Thanks!

Micayla Plante
Sales Consultant

Office: (401) 765-7500 Ext. 114

Cell: (617) 910-8167

[email protected]

hannainst.com

"

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a day earlier than the date Josh ordered: March 22. I requested an update on my order on April 13th and received a response 3 days later: Below is the email I received: The tip about "distilled or deionized water" is helpful, so I thought I would share the email. :)

"Good morning ...,

Thanks for reaching out! It looks like the cuvette cleaning solution is currently on a back order and is the reason for the hold up on your order. We can, however, do a partial shipment of the rest of your order so that you can get that within 2 days. As soon as we get the cleaning solution back in stock we will ship it out to you. In the meantime you can use distilled or deionized water to rinse out the cuvettes in between uses.

Let me know if you’d like to go ahead with the partial shipment.

Thanks!

Micayla Plante
Sales Consultant

Office: (401) 765-7500 Ext. 114

Cell: (617) 910-8167

[email protected]

hannainst.com

"

Eep... I hope they kept a checker for you while your other stuff comes in!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think partial shipping will be? Did you order the meter and the reagents?

Do any of you use the FedEx and UPS apps? Those apps notify me when I have packages otw before the vendor does... It's pretty cool.

Well, I'm hoping everything I ordered will come in except what Ms Plante indicated was "holding up my order," the cleaning solution. I ordered the high range copper checker, 3 of the 25 packs of regents, an extra set of Glass Cuvettes and Caps for Checker, the Cuvette Cleaning Solution, and the Microfiber Cloth for Wiping Cuvettes. These items were recommended by, I think 4FordFamily or HotRocks, I can't remember which of the two members provided the list of supplies (sorry). I looked for the back post, but I couldn't find it.

I just used the Hanna web site to order. I don't use the phone apps? because I don't get good cell service where I live. I tend to do most ordering with my laptop. Can I use the apps with my computer?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm hoping everything I ordered will come in except what Ms Plante indicated was "holding up my order," the cleaning solution. I ordered the high range copper checker, 3 of the 25 packs of regents, an extra set of Glass Cuvettes and Caps for Checker, the Cuvette Cleaning Solution, and the Microfiber Cloth for Wiping Cuvettes. These items were recommended by, I think 4FordFamily or HotRocks, I can't remember which and I couldn't find the post.

I just used the Hanna web site to order. I don't use the phone apps? because I don't get good cell service where I live. I tend to do most ordering with my laptop. Can I use the apps with my computer?

Yes, just register on their site and put your address and it shows all shipments to that address, even email notifications.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Josh. I'll do that right now. :) Thanks!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Josh. I'll do that right now. :) Thanks!

Did you order from Hanna direct? They have always sent me a detailed invoice on a separate email following my shipment confirmation.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and BTW. Topped off my QT tonight. Seems as if though I am through with the slight absorbtion.
Holding steady. Level rising slightly as evaporation occurs. Topped off, prob 1.5gal or so (Didn't measure) dropped back to where expected. I haven't added any copper in a few days now.
Test was done after top off.
IMG_20180416_220252666_LL-3006x4008.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and BTW. Topped off my QT tonight. Seems as if though I am through with the slight absorbtion.
Holding steady. Level rising slightly as evaporation occurs. Topped off, prob 1.5gal or so (Didn't measure) dropped back to where expected. I haven't added any copper in a few days now.
Test was done after top off.
IMG_20180416_220252666_LL-3006x4008.jpg
Are you sure you are reading the color on your hanna checker correctly? o_O

How high over the comparator chart are you holding the checker when you try to read it? o_O

It could be the color of my computer screen, but I'm not sure I would call that 1.80ppm. It looks a little dark to me. ;Facepalm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back