*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is awesome!

0ab66facf6c227ac8c5bc57b005efd33.jpg

I didn’t do too shabby with a little extrapolation and the Seachem test kit. I thought I was around 1.8, but was actually at 1.94.

Warren

It's great isn't it? I'd say you did pretty good figuring your low level concentration from the seachem test and taking it up from there.

Just curious, how many gallons is your QT, and were you using copper power or copper safe? I'm sure you mentioned previously, but I apologize as this thread has gotten large!

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great isn't it? I'd say you did pretty good figuring your low level concentration from the seachem test and taking it up from there.

Just curious, how many gallons is your QT, and were you using copper power or copper safe? I'm sure you mentioned previously, but I apologize as this thread has gotten large!

20 G from the Petco $1 sale. Copper Power for me. I checked the copper level of an LFS that does 2 week QT and they were at 2.13. Nice to see they are in the right range.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 G from the Petco $1 sale. Copper Power for me. I checked the copper level of an LFS that does 2 week QT and they were at 2.13. Nice to see they are in the right range.

They let you test their water? I've been thinking about asking, they use cupramine in a row of tanks.

Tomorrow my meter and copper power arrive. I'll be posting numbers from my 2 bottles of coppersafe and the new copper power.

I was going to dose 1ml so that it's easy to multiply and figure out where it's at concentration wise, is that right?

Lastly, is that rock in your QT?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like your bottle also carries a 2.5ppm concentration.

If I read your tank correctly you dosed 22.5ml

23.6ml should have gotten you 2.0ppm. So that is very consistent with your dosing vs test result of 1.94ppm. I'm surprised your rock didn't absorb any copper, is it artificial?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They let you test their water? I've been thinking about asking, they use cupramine in a row of tanks.

Tomorrow my meter and copper power arrive. I'll be posting numbers from my 2 bottles of coppersafe and the new copper power.

I was going to dose 1ml so that it's easy to multiply and figure out where it's at concentration wise, is that right?

I'm looking forward to your results!

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I asked for a bag of QT water. I don’t want to treat fish a second time if they’re in the right range. Just observe.

Regarding the rock, it’s super dense. It’s Stax from TLF. I think it is basically Marco Rock (literally from Marco) that has been cut flat with some voids filled. I put it in to make QT less sterile looking and maybe more natural for fish. Doesn’t seem be be absorbing anything significant. If anyone wants some, ping me. I bought gobs thinking I would like it in my main display, but I don’t.

I have a bunch of Matrix in the Seachem Tidal 110 too. That thing is massive overkill on a 20. I may have gone overboard... it makes the tank buzz due to vibration [emoji30] I should have done more research. The Tidal 55 is supposedly silent.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your bottle also carries a 2.5ppm concentration.

If I read your tank correctly you dosed 22.5ml

23.6ml should have gotten you 2.0ppm. So that is very consistent with your dosing vs test result of 1.94ppm. I'm surprised your rock didn't absorb any copper, is it artificial?

Stax from TLF. Ping me if you want some. I bought 2 huge boxes...

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I rec'd a "shipping confirmation" email from Hanna about a half hour ago. Order was placed 4/11.

Second, I'm at the 13-day mark treating Cupramine in QT with one dose of Metro, for what was diagnosed as Velvet and/or Brook. All fish look and seem great with one exception. I observed the Canary Blenny "flashing" at the PVC occasionally, as if he had Ich. I do not see anything on the fish, even under actinic light in the evening, which allowed you to see the Velvet/Brook 10+ days ago. Suggestions?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I rec'd a "shipping confirmation" email from Hanna about a half hour ago. Order was placed 4/11.

Second, I'm at the 13-day mark treating Cupramine in QT with one dose of Metro, for what was diagnosed as Velvet and/or Brook. All fish look and seem great with one exception. I observed the Canary Blenny "flashing" at the PVC occasionally, as if he had Ich. I do not see anything on the fish, even under actinic light in the evening, which allowed you to see the Velvet/Brook 10+ days ago. Suggestions?
Thats great! The backorder gap is closing!

Your fish could very likely be flashing still from irritation due to parasite infestation. Even though you are therapuetic, irritation from insertion still possible.

Also metro should be dosed every other day for 10-14 days. Even if you see improvement, you still want to treat the full 10-14 days.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your fish could very likely be flashing still from irritation due to parasite infestation. Even though you are therapuetic, irritation from insertion still possible.

Also metro should be dosed every other day for 10-14 days. Even if you see improvement, you still want to treat the full 10-14 days.

Thanks. I need to do a small WC today, so I'll dose Metro again too.
Remind me how many days of Copper treatment?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I need to do a small WC today, so I'll dose Metro again too.
Remind me how many days of Copper treatment?

30 days. Then observation only for 7-14 days to make sure fish are "clean" before releasing them into DT population.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He may not be therapeutic yet. He will know soon!

Does anyone always dose an antibiotic with copper?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may not be therapeutic yet. He will know soon!

Does anyone always dose an antibiotic with copper?

Correct, and I only use antibiotics with copper if necessary. Otherwise I try to do each med separately. For two reasons, to be easier on the fish, and less chance of a bacterial bloom from mixing meds.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Glad to hear that. My order was placed on 4/12 so hopefully mine will be coming shortly.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this all turned out to be very timely for me. I've used Cupramine with the Seachem test (The Salifert test may technically work, but is way to inaccurate, IMO) and the owner of my LFS said she had switched to Coppersafe some time ago as she felt it was easier/less toxic on the fish, so I picked up a bottle of Coppersafe. I overdosed and killed some fish in the past following the instructions on the bottle for Cupramine, so I waited to dose my QT until I found an adequate test kit. BRS actually directed me to the Hanna checker and after reading a few pages here I ordered one last night. Very glad I didn't empirically dose Coppersafe!

From what I can tell:
  • There appear to be some questions regarding the concentration/dosing of Coppersafe.
  • Copper Power appears to be more consistent. By my (and other's) experience
  • Cupramine needs to be dosed conservatively.
  • The therapeutic window on any copper treatment is relatively narrow, so you should never dose copper without testing and following.
As I already have Coppersafe and would have to mail order Copper Power, I'm planning on using the Coppersafe I have (Lot 2937FID101, Exp 10-20-19), dosing conservatively and following the levels with the Hanna checker.

One question I have with using the Hanna Checker is whether we actually know how the measurement corresponds the therapeutic levels? Many people have done checks with it and it appears to be consistent (i.e. gives similar readings when doing different checks on the same sample.) That I've seen, no one has done any checks to see how accurate it is or verified the relationship to the measurements given and therapeutic/toxic levels of copper; those have just been assumed. Am I missing anything here?

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered mine on the 4/9...... still no word. Last I talked to them, the sales rep said they are waiting on the checker and the calibration check set that's still out of stock. Order still says processing on the website.

:( bummed!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back