*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 has about 200 gallons, sand & rock. From my calcs it should take 38mL to get to 0.5, but I had 72 mL when the hanna read 0.28.
If you are dosing a FOWLR it's probably the rock/sand and possibly media you have absorbing the copper.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm sure it's being absorbed. It's just crazy how the other test looked close to the correct levels when they were really only about 1/2. Like the others said, it's a game changer, no more guessing. If I hadn't stumbled on this thread, I'd still be guessing.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of my fellow Canucks can find a Copperpower source in Canada, I will .. be very happy!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the people that may have stumbled onto this thread, or have been reading from the start and are still on the fence about the Hanna Checker..

32days
by Kyl, on Flickr

This is day 32, I have been testing this QT tank every day for the ramp up period, every two days once it hit ~1.75ppm for the ~first week and then every three days till completion.
  • May 28th - 1.73ppm
  • May 30th - 1.72ppm
  • June 1st - 1.72ppm
  • June 3rd - 1.74ppm
  • June 5th - 1.73ppm
  • June 9th - 1.74ppm
  • June 13th - 1.72ppm
  • June 16th - 1.71ppm
  • June 19th - 1.69ppm
  • June 23rd - 1.72ppm
  • June 26th - 1.73ppm
  • June 29th - 1.74ppm
I would never have been able to track something like that with the API kit, as I've noted with an earlier post, what looked to be ~2.0ppm was in reality reading at 0.97 ppm for my leopard wrasse's initial copper stint. This tool is invaluable for those utilizing copper quarantine methods, and if it even saves one decent fish the cost is already repaid.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the people that may have stumbled onto this thread, or have been reading from the start and are still on the fence about the Hanna Checker..

32days
by Kyl, on Flickr

This is day 32, I have been testing this QT tank every day for the ramp up period, every two days once it hit ~1.75ppm for the ~first week and then every three days till completion.
  • May 28th - 1.73ppm
  • May 30th - 1.72ppm
  • June 1st - 1.72ppm
  • June 3rd - 1.74ppm
  • June 5th - 1.73ppm
  • June 9th - 1.74ppm
  • June 13th - 1.72ppm
  • June 16th - 1.71ppm
  • June 19th - 1.69ppm
  • June 23rd - 1.72ppm
  • June 26th - 1.73ppm
  • June 29th - 1.74ppm
I would never have been able to track something like that with the API kit, as I've noted with an earlier post, what looked to be ~2.0ppm was in reality reading at 0.97 ppm for my leopard wrasse's initial copper stint. This tool is invaluable for those utilizing copper quarantine methods, and if it even saves one decent fish the cost is already repaid.

Thanks for sharing! That is consistent with both rounds of QT I have completed since this came about!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this thing is awesome. It is a must have.

I have a jawfish in QT and just hit therapeutic level. I'm was able to add some chunky sand to the QT tank to keep the jawfish happy and comfortable and not have to worry about unknown absorbtion rates of the sand. This is a giant leap forward for this hobby.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to start copper safe treatment on Saturday and I'm getting super nervous about it now. I have the hannah checker, so that helps some, but I'm really confused on how much to dose per day. I want to ramp up super slowly (over 10 days?) because I have two wrasses included in the treatment. I have a 10g and 29g that will both be getting the treatment. What would be a safe starting dose to use the first day in each of those? Then I can test and figure out the rest I think. I'm just scared to way overdose on the first day.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing a test. Dose the instructed amount to 4 gallons of water. Test with Hanna and that is the base line.

I can help you with the math if you need me to.

I would ramp up over 5-7 days.

I wouldn't be nervous about the first dose even if you were dosing as instructed split over a 10 day ramp as you had suggested, you would not be anywhere near the therapuetic level, let alone near a toxic level.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the middle of two tanks of fish being qt’d. Did a 10gallon water change last night using my older bottle of coppersafe. Dosed 4 ml. Per bucket and got 1.67 and 1.60 . The amount of water in each bucket was not specific other then they are 5 gal. buckets.
The checker, as many stated, is the ticket. Just buy a large box of reagent with the checker. Quite easy to use and very consistent.
Running copperpower in my bigger tank and it’s been quite easy to dose as well.
Jim

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing a test. Dose the instructed amount to 4 gallons of water. Test with Hanna and that is the base line.

I can help you with the math if you need me to.

I would ramp up over 5-7 days.

I wouldn't be nervous about the first dose even if you were dosing as instructed split over a 10 day ramp as you had suggested, you would not be anywhere near the therapuetic level, let alone near a toxic level.

I test 1.25mL in 1 gallon and got a result of 2.23ppm. That’s obviously way to high, so how do I do the math to find the correct amount to achieve 1.75ppm?

Would I be better off ordering copper power from amazon? Or is copper safe still okay since I know the potency?

Also it’s really hard to get all the regeant from the little packets into the test vial. Is there some trick to it?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test 1.25mL in 1 gallon and got a result of 2.23ppm. That’s obviously way to high, so how do I do the math to find the correct amount to achieve 1.75ppm?

Would I be better off ordering copper power from amazon? Or is copper safe still okay since I know the potency?

Also it’s really hard to get all the regeant from the little packets into the test vial. Is there some trick to it?

How many gallons is your QT?

1ml per gallon should get you very close to 1.75ppm

Yes there is a trick for the reagent watch this video which is also on the 1st post of this thread. It will help you out with that.

Screenshot_20180708-131158.png

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your QT?

1ml per gallon should get you very close to 1.75ppm

I have one QT that is 29g and one that is 10g. For the 29 gallon I should treat about 4.8mL per day to ramp up over 6 days, correct? 1 * 29 / 6? And the 10g about 1.7mL per day? 1 * 10 / 6

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one QT that is 29g and one that is 10g. For the 29 gallon I should treat about 4.8mL per day to ramp up over 6 days, correct? 1 * 29 / 6? And the 10g about 1.7mL per day? 1 * 10 / 6
Looks good to me.

I would split your daily amounts and do half in am other half in pm.

Test daily until you get to the therapuetic level. Then I test every 2 or three days now that I have repeated it more than once with same result.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back