COR-20 and tank size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the COR-20 work for 220 gallon tank, with 75 gallon sump? I have 1.25 PVC until I get to the tank, 2 returns, but drops to 3/4 when it goes into the tank.

Would I need a larger pump?

Thanks

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the turnover you are looking for. If you want 10x turnover or more like the triton method calls for you may need a little more depending on the height of the returns. I like a lower flow through my sump as it results in less water flowing back into the sump when the return is turned off (I like 5-6x)

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 100% with that plumbing I would say so. I run a 425g tank with 1150gph (actual). I would bet that you will likely turn about 6-7x the total water volume (probably about 200g).

kurtsnape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon tank and a 100 gallon sump in the basement. The head is 10 ft. I have 1 inch PVC returns all the way to the tank. Will the COR-20 be sufficient? This is a reef tank.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon tank and a 100 gallon sump in the basement. The head is 10 ft. I have 1 inch PVC returns all the way to the tank. Will the COR-20 be sufficient? This is a reef tank.
I would not have plumbed it that way and if you can change it, you should. Run one 2" line from the sump up to the top of the tank and then split to multiple 1" or 3/4".

I do not exactly understand when you say 1" PVC returns - do you have more than one return line coming from the sump up to the tank.

The real answer to your question is how much flow you want to get. The COR-20 plumbed the way you have it now - assuming one 1" return will mean that you get about 300-600gph actual flow - depending on all the fittings, etc. With a 2", that will likely improve to about 400-800. Again many variables.

Another option - one that I really like (try not to be cynical and think I only say this to sell pumps - hehehe) - is to run two pumps to the tank and you likely will never have an issue with zero flow to the tank due to a blocked or failed pump. You can also take one offline to clean it while the other keeps the tank circulating.

If you are looking to get crazy flow through your sump, you will need to up to a much larger pump or one that is a pressure pump.

kurtsnape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have plumbed it that way and if you can change it, you should. Run one 2" line from the sump up to the top of the tank and then split to multiple 1" or 3/4".

I do not exactly understand when you say 1" PVC returns - do you have more than one return line coming from the sump up to the tank.

The real answer to your question is how much flow you want to get. The COR-20 plumbed the way you have it now - assuming one 1" return will mean that you get about 300-600gph actual flow - depending on all the fittings, etc. With a 2", that will likely improve to about 400-800. Again many variables.

Another option - one that I really like (try not to be cynical and think I only say this to sell pumps - hehehe) - is to run two pumps to the tank and you likely will never have an issue with zero flow to the tank due to a blocked or failed pump. You can also take one offline to clean it while the other keeps the tank circulating.

If you are looking to get crazy flow through your sump, you will need to up to a much larger pump or one that is a pressure pump.

Haha. I do like the idea of 2 pumps. I get it.
Here is my sump. 1 1/2 coming out of sump. Then splits into two return lines up to tank. One on each end of tank. The third one you see in pic goes to house drain for water changes. My pump now is a baldor motor with a reeflo hammerhead pump. I want to replace it wit a COR-20. Or 2?
81865c0e1c07273a20f81a1d44ce06ca.jpg
58b4270c2df633faffafd6b1e8cf8b4b.jpg

You can see the return in the one picture of the tank. There is one on each end.

kurtsnape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I do like the idea of 2 pumps. I get it.
Here is my sump. 1 1/2 coming out of sump. Then splits into two return lines up to tank. One on each end of tank. The third one you see in pic goes to house drain for water changes. My pump now is a baldor motor with a reeflo hammerhead pump. I want to replace it wit a COR-20. Or 2?
81865c0e1c07273a20f81a1d44ce06ca.jpg
58b4270c2df633faffafd6b1e8cf8b4b.jpg

You can see the return in the one picture of the tank. There is one on each end.

The tank is still cycling and I'm fighting off some Cyno right now

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammerhead is a good choice. Trade offs are noise and power consumption of course.

If you already have an apex, put a 2” flow sensor and FMM on there and see what you get now and then decide what you would be happy with.

Good thing is if you wanted to go the two pump solution, you have it plumbed that way already for the most part.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 100% with that plumbing I would say so. I run a 425g tank with 1150gph (actual). I would bet that you will likely turn about 6-7x the total water volume (probably about 200g).

Thanks for the reply and info. It sounds like then I might be better off using COR on my smaller tanks, and buy larger pump for my bigger tank.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after more consideration, I really want to use the COR's that I have bought. What if I re-do my returns coming out of the sump, the only option I have is 1" or 3/4". I was thinking if I go with 1", should I go up to the returns with 1" or up to 1.5" or more? The bulkheads going into the back of my tank for the returns are 1"

Thanks

U

User1

View Badges
Hmm...now you got me second guessing my purchase. If the 20 isn't enough for your tank then maybe I'm in a wee bit of trouble. I purchased a Cor 15 that is being delivered tomorrow for my 210 gallon I'm setting up. I've already plumbed it too since the tank used 1" bulk heads for return lines. If the 20 is in question for your tank then I'm thinking the 15 may not be enough for me.

Maybe not matter though since I'm soft and lps coral. I wanted that one due to the link port.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even for a 210 the COR-15 will be more than enough flow for the purpose you are intending and especially because you seem to have plumbed it the right way with 1” returns.

U

User1

View Badges
@Terence Thanks! I'm looking forward to it honestly. I just finished watching the video in another thread with the introduction which they used the 20 model. I like the idea of the 2nd pump for the manifold. Could be used for an emergency should something happen and makes cleaning / maintenance tasks a breeze without taking it offline longer. Great video.

Thanks again for the reply. Have a good evening.

Back