Coral 1, ID Please

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to figure out what SP is this Prickly coral, to find the proper info about, Pleae help, because I think I'm loosing it (the small red bristles 2/3 drop off of it :( , not sure that's good or no), it's still with coming out almost all the polyps "flowers" on it..., but most of the time it stay "shrink", usually stay tall and a bit longer like on the photos, now it look half of it size. New reefer here and still have allot to learn, so sorry if I'm done big mistake with it.

DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Also and it look to me like it move on that peace of LR .

Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that clothes pin in the tank? Won’t it rust?
I’d have the same concern. The salt water would corrode it and leach metals into the water. Even if it doesn’t look like it’s rusted it would slowly be deteriorating.

Btw what type of lighting do you have for the corals. Majority are photosynthetic

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Prickly coral, but can't find which one exactly. I got the same question in another topic here, and no, at the moment the metal spring isn't corroded, it's fine I check it morning and evening, because I'm waiting new glue for the peace of coral which it keep UP (it's in the thread "Coral 2, ID Please")
Want to find more info about this particular PRICKLY. On it I found one Snapping shrimp, which I take off from it, and don't know is it good to leave it on the coral or no...

Where did you get the coral?

LFS (in UK)

Btw what type of lighting do you have for the corals. Majority are photosynthetic

It's cheap 7500K white/blue LED for the QT tank only (temporary light), and it's very bright :( (some corals there don't like it)

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: you said a prickly coral. Look up Prickly alcyonarian.

It look really close to this one, and here are new photos, I left it for few hours under very low light and it expand it self..., really too much, it look like a tree during the spring xD

DSC_0006.jpg

Sorry, but it start to close the polyps immediately after I turn on the light, to can take the photos, so has to do it fast...
DSC_0008.jpg

More photos xD: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jgT3FVYxWo4aTLQq9
the polyps have really 8 tentacles each, and isn't like most popular polyp - soft or stony hard corals
Beautiful "flower" ;)

Just can't figure out why 90% of the bristles fall off, it was on the same position for few days, but for under 8hours they just gone from it. :( (if some one know the reason..., please let me know)

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a dendronephthya coral?

They're a challenge from what I'm given to understand . . .

~Bruce
If it’s opening under low light I’d say dendro too. I have one...a carnation. Can’t glue it down as it likes to let go of the coral glue. And it opens during low light and thru the night. They generally only feed at night and are very hard to look after.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s opening under low light I’d say dendro too. I have one...a carnation. Can’t glue it down as it likes to let go of the coral glue. And it opens during low light and thru the night. They generally only feed at night and are very hard to look after.

Everyone say they are hards to look after xD, I'll try to adapt it a little bit to some light, to be able to feed it not only when it's completely dark, or probably I'll put it under complete shade (have cave like in the DT), and now during the daylight and under low light it's open.
Thank you everyone xD
About the glue..., IDK, but it look like I say the base of it to change the position on the peace of rock on which is attached now..., like some anemones do, when they aren't happy with them position. (but I can be wrong about)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back