coral Banded Shark Question

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO we hatched the Coral Banded shark below in our classroom touch tank, on November 8. 10 days ago. He had a yolk sack attached the size of my thumb. That has been absorbed and he is healthy looking. just a small half a bb size sack maybe smaller left hanging on. We are not sure when to try to feed him, LFS where we got the egg told us to not feed for 10 days after hatching but we are not sure he meant hatching with fully absorbed yolk sac or after sack is gone? What should we do?

312366899_823207012100536_132938379946614408_n (1).jpg
314028894_860260702078828_4495104302753646714_n (1).jpg
313922263_669239071243237_4299778028384045156_n (1).jpg

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You appear to have Chiloscyllium punctatum, more commonly known as the brownbanded bamboo shark outside the trade. They grow to 40-50 inches in length. Can’t say anything specific about their feeding, though these folks might be able to help:
@Aspect
@Jay Hemdal
@HankstankXXXL750

wow when I got this eg the LFS told me it was a coral banded and would stay under 2'. no way do i or will I have a tank for an animal that big.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can expect a mature growth of 3' or more. You can try to feed it PE Mysis after a week from the yolk being absorbed. If he does not go after that then you will need to get live food (Ghost shrimp/Feeder shrimp) to entice the feeding response. I see you said it's a touch tank, but I would not advise handling a baby as their structure is quite weak as a baby. Always do some research before an impulse purchase.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very common for baby bamboo sharks to not eat for the first few weeks. They still have an internal yolk sac that is providing them food energy. However, they can also have issues adapting over to aquarium food.

Two things to beware of: bumping the food into their face will make them shy away. Be sure that you remove all uneaten food so it doesn't foul the tank.

I have had the best success with this (slightly distasteful method): get a broom straw or really heavy nylon line. You need something that is rigid enough to use to stick feed the shark, but not be so large as to scare it. Then, impale a small guppy on the end of the stick. While the guppy is still wiggling, move it down to just in front of the shark's mouth, but don't touch it. The shark will move forward a bit when it senses the struggling and will take the guppy off the stick. If it doesn't, try again the next day with a new guppy. If this doesn't work after a week or so, then there is some issue in the tank that is causing the shark not to want to feed.

Jay

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have t hatched one, but have a marbles cat shark. Once eating she likes scallops. I thaw them and let them sink and she feeds there.

Although I’m not very happy with them right now, aquaculture nursery farms sells live saltwater feeder shrimp. I have had a lot of luck getting finicky eats started with them. Also called Rusalty.

Once eating especially a smaller one, PE mysis will work. Mine used to only feed after everyone was done. Now she comes out if I pour a small amount of mysis in kinda like chumming, but I have other fish that eat it. If just the shark do t so too much for water quality issues.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once he outgrows your classroom tank i would be happy to take him off your hands if you have trouble finding a local place. We could give him a good home in our lagoon.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shark is doing well yolk sack absorbed completely and he is eating. wondering how much rock vs open space I should have in the tank, floor is pretty full of rock currently and he stays under rocks

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Shark is doing well yolk sack absorbed completely and he is eating. wondering how much rock vs open space I should have in the tank, floor is pretty full of rock currently and he stays under rocks
Bamboo sharks don't need a ton of open space, just make an open outline around the tank and leave all of the rockwork in the middle. They will rarely come out of the rockwork when the lights are on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back