coral banded shrimp issues

tailoftwogobies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi y’all! another question.. we caught a coral banded shrimp literally red handed just now with our wheeler goby in his grip.. is this something that happens a lot with those shrimp? we’ve never seen one or caught one in this case doing this! he literally snatched our goby right up in his claw.. have any of you heard of the coral banded being aggressive like this? we have placed the wheeler in his own tank for the time being & hoping he ends up being okay.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CBS are opportunistic feeders and can be very aggressive and small fish are on the menu. This has been well documented with CBS. If you want a "safer" version, then buy the smaller cousin, Stenopus tenuirostris (blue banded). The stay small and are not aggressive. Btw, sorry to hear about your goby, it's not something we want to see happen in our tanks.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always picking on my bl shrimp. But he's so scared to come out from behind the rocks he never bothers my fish. Also my CBS is the blue type which says quite small.

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last CBS I kept was almost10 years ago. He was an absolute bully. Killed chromis, crippled all of the skunk cleaner shrimps I’ve ever owned or snipped all of their feelers, snails, the lot. I’d think twice about adding another to any future system I’ll ever put up unless it were a desktop pico and it had no competition whatsoever.

Back