Coral beauty angel on side

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I'm new to the saltwater world so please don't go hard on me if this is a silly question!
A couple of weeks ago I got my brand new dwarf angel and he's stunning
I also got a blood red fire shrimp and there was already two 1-1.5 inch clowns in
But I have seen that the angel keeps going over to the shrimps bit of rock and laying on his side next to the shrimp but swims and eats perfectly he seems happy I'm not sure if the shrimp has set up a cleaning station and the angel is going to get cleaned? He doesn't do this anywhere else in the tank and seems to be healthy
All tank prams are perfect too all fish eating corals thriving. Cheers appreciated any help guys.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible that it’s going for a cleaning. Do you notice any spots or discoloration on the fish? Is it being aggressive in presenting itself to the shrimp for cleaning?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what cleaner shrimp do. They will setup shop and start swaying back and forth. Saw a great video a while back where several cleaner shrimp had setup a cleaning "station"in the ocean. It was amazing watching all the fish come to get groomed. Wish I could find it for you.

My african flame back angel, will lay right down on it's side flare out it's gills all the while my shrimp picks at it's gills.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible that it’s going for a cleaning. Do you notice any spots or discoloration on the fish? Is it being aggressive in presenting itself to the shrimp for cleaning?
Thanks for your reply. No his colours are popping like mad electric blue on his fins and even colouration throughout his body. He seems to do his casual swim around the rock and tank and then every so often goes right next to the shrimp and lays on his side for a couple of seconds then goes to swim again. As I said he's eating and everything possibly as its an overhang he is grazing on the rock but it does seem he's getting cleaned

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also doesn't pick on the clowns or any of the cuc and he's significantly bigger at about 4-5 inch

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of you clown should morph into a female and grow larger than her mate. At this point the female clown may start letting the Coral Beauty know it's no longer welcome in her territory and the Coral Beauty will let her know it doesn't care and will continue to swim all about the tank exploring very nook and cranny for algae on which to pick. Don't worry, since the CB can stay put these last but a second or two.

Cleaner shrimp are some of the coolest things in the hobby. I love when my 2 clowns, coral beauty and green chromis line up near the cleaner shrimp and take their turns to visit the shrimp. Makes you think about the theories/theologies that got them to that point.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of you clown should morph into a female and grow larger than her mate. At this point the female clown may start letting the Coral Beauty know it's no longer welcome in her territory and the Coral Beauty will let her know it doesn't care and will continue to swim all about the tank exploring very nook and cranny for algae on which to pick. Don't worry, since the CB can stay put these last but a second or two.

Cleaner shrimp are some of the coolest things in the hobby. I love when my 2 clowns, coral beauty and green chromis line up near the cleaner shrimp and take their turns to visit the shrimp. Makes you think about the theories/theologies that got them to that point.
What I meant in the first comment is that the clowns are 1-1.5 inches meaning one is about an inch while the other is about an inch and a half she is noticibly bigger and I can see they have paired up sorry for making that first sentince muddled up lol. So ye the clowns are paired and very happy. Ye so I suppose he's just going for a clean and it is quite cool to watch. Also the clowns seem to have their territory at the mid level of the tank next to my torch coral but thankfully they don't host it I'm looking into getting a Duncan coral soon for them to try host it as I don't really want the trouble of an anemone. Thanks again

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I'm new to the saltwater world so please don't go hard on me if this is a silly question!
A couple of weeks ago I got my brand new dwarf angel and he's stunning
I also got a blood red fire shrimp and there was already two 1-1.5 inch clowns in
But I have seen that the angel keeps going over to the shrimps bit of rock and laying on his side next to the shrimp but swims and eats perfectly he seems happy I'm not sure if the shrimp has set up a cleaning station and the angel is going to get cleaned? He doesn't do this anywhere else in the tank and seems to be healthy
All tank prams are perfect too all fish eating corals thriving. Cheers appreciated any help guys.
It is impossible to completely rid a reef aquarium of parasites. Your fish is doing exactly what it would be doing if it were in its natural environment. I have observed many fish that will develop a cleaning pattern with shrimp that you could almost set your watch by. Some fish will even appear very much OCD about it and even harass the shrimp if it deviates from the scheduled maintenance.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is impossible to completely rid a reef aquarium of parasites. Your fish is doing exactly what it would be doing if it were in its natural environment. I have observed many fish that will develop a cleaning pattern with shrimp that you could almost set your watch by. Some fish will even appear very much OCD about it and even harass the shrimp if it deviates from the scheduled maintenance.
Yes Ive been watching him for a few days now he seems to be a compulsive cleaner lol but yes as he's healthy and thriving I don't think I need to worry just to continue what I'm doing. Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females typically have less blue on fins and no more than four bars from what I understand.
Thanks mate. If that's the case mines deffenetly male his fins are popping electric blue all the way around and more than 4 stripes, not that it really matters to me if they are male or female as I'm not here to breed or anything just to enjoy was just curious lol. Thanks again this form has the kindest most genioune people to help on it than all the other ones I've been on!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. No his colours are popping like mad electric blue on his fins and even colouration throughout his body. He seems to do his casual swim around the rock and tank and then every so often goes right next to the shrimp and lays on his side for a couple of seconds then goes to swim again. As I said he's eating and everything possibly as its an overhang he is grazing on the rock but it does seem he's getting cleaned

Sounds like completely normal behavior. In certain cases when a fish aggressively pursues a shrimp, it can be a sign of velvet or ich. What you are describing doesn’t sound like that. Just enjoy the show :)

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like completely normal behavior. In certain cases when a fish aggressively pursues a shrimp, it can be a sign of velvet or ich. What you are describing doesn’t sound like that. Just enjoy the show :)
Great, really fun to watch them have a somewhat relationship lol. Thanks!

Back