Coral Beauty Flesh Scars above eyes. HLLE? Something else?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was hoping @Jay Hemdal or someone else could help diagnose this and suggest treatment. I got this coral beauty around the beginning of December. It went through three weeks of copper and two weeks of prazipro treatment in QT. I did not notice ( and not sure how I could have missed) these scars above it's eyes during that time. The scars are similar and above each eye.

Its been in my tank since early this month and yesterday I noticed these scars. I believe it may be HLLE. I've cut the carbon I run off for now.

It's eating VERY well and VERY active. Does not seem stressed or injured at all other than
the scars.

Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated. Attached 3 photos and a video.

Thanks!

CB_1.jpg
CB_2.jpg
CB_3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I was hoping @Jay Hemdal or someone else could help diagnose this and suggest treatment. I got this coral beauty around the beginning of December. It went through three weeks of copper and two weeks of prazipro treatment in QT. I did not notice ( and not sure how I could have missed) these scars above it's eyes during that time. The scars are similar and above each eye.

Its been in my tank since early this month and yesterday I noticed these scars. I believe it may be HLLE. I've cut the carbon I run off for now.

It's eating VERY well and VERY active. Does not seem stressed or injured at all other than
the scars.

Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated. Attached 3 photos and a video.

Thanks!

CB_1.jpg
CB_2.jpg
CB_3.jpg

A few things noticed -
The treatment process. What copper level were you treating at? The typical protocol is treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Three weeks falls short.
Then praziquantel- How did you treat over the two weeks (number of days, etc) ?
The eye area: This looks like Head/face erosion and often stems from Poor water quality and diet. Prazi can cause this as well as suppress appetite.
You stated its eating- What foods are you feeding it ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

the scars.

Thanks!

CB_1.jpg
CB_2.jpg
CB_3.jpg

To me it looks like Possible HLLE - but it's somewhat off. it may be the lighting - but IMHO - the entire fish looks somewhat 'off', and it's hard to describe. This includes areas on the body. @vetteguy53081 is correct - 3 weeks is a little short - but most people would say it's 'enough' - or 'within range'. The dosing is indeed important - both for the praziquantel - and the copper. Did you have carbon in the tank when you dosed them. (I'm assuming not). I wonder about flukes here or something else in addition to possible HLLE. Hope this helps @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things noticed -
The treatment process. What copper level were you treating at? The typical protocol is treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Three weeks falls short.
Then praziquantel- How did you treat over the two weeks (number of days, etc) ?
The eye area: This looks like Head/face erosion and often stems from Poor water quality and diet. Prazi can cause this as well as suppress appetite.
You stated its eating- What foods are you feeding it ?
I treated based on Jay's QT protocol. I did not run Full 30 days due to QTing with a Flame Angel at the same time and them being a little aggressive due to tight quarters (10gal QT).

I use Hanna and the copper was at 2.4. Ammonia was monitored with Redsea kit. I used sponge bubblers as biomedia I had in my Sump and dosed with Dr. Tim's a few times before adding the fish and checked to make sure Ammonia was processed. At no time did the red sea kit show any ammonia after the Dr. Tim's addition was processed before adding fish or after.

I treated the prazipro as instructions suggest. One week dose, then another dose for next 7 days.

This fish also came from a someone getting out of the hobby who had them each for over a year.

I feed a frozen mix I make. Blood worms, mysis, fish, shrimp, squid, bit of nori, and squid with selcon added.

I have 8 fish, this and the angel being the last additions. Have had most of the others over a year. No others showing any issues.

Water is made with a BRS 6 stage RODI system. TDS 0 coming out.

I do have a ICP on the way and results should be in early this week.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I treated based on Jay's QT protocol. I did not run Full 30 days due to QTing with a Flame Angel at the same time and them being a little aggressive due to tight quarters (10gal QT).

I use Hanna and the copper was at 2.4. Ammonia was monitored with Redsea kit. I used sponge bubblers as biomedia I had in my Sump and dosed with Dr. Tim's a few times before adding the fish and checked to make sure Ammonia was processed. At no time did the red sea kit show any ammonia after the Dr. Tim's addition was processed before adding fish or after.

I treated the prazipro as instructions suggest. One week dose, then another dose for next 7 days.

This fish also came from a someone getting out of the hobby who had them each for over a year.

I feed a frozen mix I make. Blood worms, mysis, fish, shrimp, squid, bit of nori, and squid with selcon added.

I have 8 fish, this and the angel being the last additions. Have had most of the others over a year. No others showing any issues.

Thanks - assuming that the tests and doses are correct - perhaps its HLLE - to me - the entire fish looks 'ragged' - But - lets see what Jay says - it might just be my imagination!!!

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like Possible HLLE - but it's somewhat off. it may be the lighting - but IMHO - the entire fish looks somewhat 'off', and it's hard to describe. This includes areas on the body. @vetteguy53081 is correct - 3 weeks is a little short - but most people would say it's 'enough' - or 'within range'. The dosing is indeed important - both for the praziquantel - and the copper. Did you have carbon in the tank when you dosed them. (I'm assuming not). I wonder about flukes here or something else in addition to possible HLLE. Hope this helps @Jay Hemdal
As far as the fish looking off, I think that's just cause the pics are from screen shot cropped super close from the video. It looks super healthy otherwise.

No, no carbon in the QT. Was only exposed to carbon in the DT, and I had just changed it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I have reason to believe you have done everything the proper way but am in question of my suspect- the Prazi
With carbon not present, best method is to Dose Prazi One time for an 8 day period , , , Change water , , , , and dose one more time again for an 8 day period. Even 7 would be acceptable but was the dosage daily or one time for the 7 day period?
HLLE is likely what fish has

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - assuming that the tests and doses are correct - perhaps its HLLE - to me - the entire fish looks 'ragged' - But - lets see what Jay says - it might just be my imagination!!!
I think the ragged fish look yall are getting is cause I cropped the pics from the video and they are distorted some. She was moving to fast to take a good pic.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reason to believe you have done everything the proper way but am in question of my suspect- the Prazi
With carbon not present, best method is to Dose Prazi One time for an 8 day period , , , Change water , , , , and dose one more time again for an 8 day period. Even 7 would be acceptable but was the dosage daily or one time for the 7 day period?
HLLE is likely what fish has
It was one time for the 7 day period.

Then again one time for another 7 day period.

I did not do a large WC in between though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the scars.

Thanks!

CB_1.jpg
CB_2.jpg
CB_3.jpg

Yes, that’s minor HLLE. Stopping the carbon might help, but generally even stopping carbon won’t completely stop the progression.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankyou, what would you suggest?
Nothing else really, once the carbon dust gets in the tank there isn’t anything to be done. Hopefully the lesions will stop growing.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - for clarifying @Coxey81. Your explanation of the pictures makes sense - the others do not give the same impression to me. I think? @vetteguy53081 already gave you the correct information about how to hopefully - lessen/cure the HLLE - with pristine water/good nutrition, etc.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - for clarifying @Coxey81. Your explanation of the pictures makes sense - the others do not give the same impression to me. I think? @vetteguy53081 already gave you the correct information about how to hopefully - lessen/cure the HLLE - with pristine water/good nutrition, etc.

Feeding them some Nori now. My frozen mix is already pretty wide variety food wise. I dod have some pellets I could feed.

Planning to do a larger than normal WC this week.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sl
Nothing else really, once the carbon dust gets in the tank there isn’t anything to be done. Hopefully the lesions will stop growing.
Jay

So, I've been watching the beauty more closely and feeding a good bit of nori to everyone. She's had so long stringy poops the last two nights (greenish brown in color).

Is that normal with HLLE or could be because of the extra nori in her diet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE has no affect on feces, it is strictly an external issue. The feces could be from the nori, what you don’t want to see are white feces.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sl

So, I've been watching the beauty more closely and feeding a good bit of nori to everyone. She's had so long stringy poops the last two nights (greenish brown in color).

Is that normal with HLLE or could be because of the extra nori in her diet?
Greenish brown sums up my tang after nori.
Other than nori- what else have you added to diet ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back