Coral Beauty in QT issue

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening. I have a coral beauty at the tail end of a quarantine stint and I would like some opinions. I put this little guy along with a kole tang in QT a while back. Treated with CP for 30 days, no issues until the last couple days. A few days short of the 30 day, the CB developed popeye in one eye, I have seen this before and figured it was flukes which I confirmed with a FW dip.
I did some sizable water changes, ran carbon and proceeded to do 2 rounds of Prazipro which I though would clear it up, I didn’t. So yesterday, I decided to treat with erithromycin. Since I saw no reason to put the the kole through more treatment since he looks great, I went ahead and put him in the DT, did a water change in the QT to rid of residual prazzi and started the antibiotics. The eye looks terrible (been inflamed for almost two weeks) and he stopped eating 3 days ago. Is my course of action (continue antibiotics and hope for the best) good, or is there something different/better that I could be doing?
I though about putting him in the DT too as the superior water quality may help, but if it doesn’t it would be tough to catch him again in a 180G with 300 lbs of LR.
TIA

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s rubbing it on the glass a lot.
622D3019-F333-4D7B-8098-648813495385.jpeg
585DFD5E-D4D5-4E8B-9463-F7705F9BAD18.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you confirm that the angel had flukes? Neobenedenia is one common fluke that two rounds of prazipro won't clear up.

Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I confirmed with a FW dip and found sesame seed shapes flukes, thus the two rounds of Prazipro. Not sure which fish (or both) as I dipped one after the other in the same container. I hope it’s not Neobenedenia as I put the kole tang in the DT 3 days ago. He had always looked fine. @cancun, after 3 days of erithromycin perhaps a little better, but still not eating and listless. I don’t think he can see very well and the other eye now look bad. Should I FW dip him again? I have prazi, but am hesitant to mix the two meds. Thoughts?
this really stinks as we were so close to being done with QT. I would hate to lose him after coming this far
AC5133C1-76A7-4258-B67B-9A7CFBCBB546.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi has a hard time taking care of Neobenedenia, I use hyposalinity for 35 days. Trouble is, this fluke has sticky eggs that prazi doesn’t kill, and the eggs can take two weeks to hatch. That said, the eye issue is probably bacterial, and the erythromycin is a good choice for that. When did you last do a FW dip on this fish?
Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you last do a FW dip on this fish?
Jay
Thanks Jay. Right before I stated prazi, about 2 or so weeks ago. Funny you should ask, because I am preparing to do another now to double check for flukes. Would I see anything if it’s Neobenedenia?
If no flukes, I’ll keep on with the erythromycin. If I see flukes then I guess it’s back to prazi. I hope it isn’t, because I don’t know how many more changing directions the little guy can take.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any flukes, you’ll need to look closely as they are going to be smaller than the ones you saw last time, because they are younger.
Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be a flukes or two to me. I see two approaches. First it to continue the antibiotics to try and get the eyes cleared and then another two or so rounds of prazzi, or do a huge water chance and start prazi now.
My thought is the first approach since I have the antibiotics on board. Thoughts?

9F2E5274-6A8F-421E-BA05-103CCEC7FEF4.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree- first approach sounds best, a couple of flukes in a dip isn’t going to be fatal any time soon, so focus on the antibiotics for now.
Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 6 days into the antibiotics and things don’t look good. I think he lost one eye and the other is still inflamed. Hasn’t eaten in over a week, but is still chugging along somewhat. Since I found a couple of flukes on the FW dip 2 days ago, I’m thinking about a desperate move since I’m running out of time. If he’s still with us tomorrow, I’m thinking of another dip, massive water change and prazzi. I’m at a loss as I’ve had other fish in qt get popeye before and they’ve always responded to the antibiotic therapy.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it doesn't sound good. Antibiotics typically take 5 to 7 days to work, so if the Erythromycin was going to be effective, I think you would see some improvement by now. So often here, a post comes in that a fish "isn't doing well", but then it dies before anyone can even offer a suggestion...your fish has hung on so long, I was hoping that the Rx would work.

Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, I appreciate the help none the less! The crazy thing is that the first 30 days or so went so well. His tank mate has been in the DT for a week and is doing great. Crazy....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back