Coral beauty in reef tank

TSM Aquatics

Should I have a Coral beauty in a 40 gallon reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Prehistoric Reefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
With black Friday coming up, I am thinking of getting a coral beauty along with a leopard wrasse and a carpenter's flasher wrasse in a 40 gallon mixed reef tank. I have deresa clam and a maxima clam. I also currently have a
pj cardinal fish
a yellow coris wrasse
A tiny six line wrasse
Starry blenny
Wheelri prawn goby with pistol shrimp
Should this work out?

OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
40 Breeder or regular
I think it’s a lot more doable with the extra width from the breeder tank.
Mine was never a problem in my 40B - very beautiful and added a lot of life to the tank.
It is a regular (I think) the dimensions are 36 inches Length, 18 inches in height and 16 inches in width.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's definitely risky. Coral beauties are one of the most returned fish at my LFS. People read lots of stories about how they reef safe....and I am sure some get lucky and they are fine....however they also commonly are issues with clam mantles and zoas. Sometimes lps also.

OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's definitely risky. Coral beauties are one of the most returned fish at my LFS. People read lots of stories about how they reef safe....and I am sure some get lucky and they are fine....however they also commonly are issues with clam mantles and zoas. Sometimes lps also.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I have decided against a coral beauty. Is the flame angel any different? If it is the same is there any reef safe fish that can go in a 40 gallon reef tank that has the same body plan like a dwarf angelfish or tang?

argiBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I have decided against a coral beauty. Is the flame angel any different? If it is the same is there any reef safe fish that can go in a 40 gallon reef tank that has the same body plan like a dwarf angelfish or tang?
You run similar levels of risk with all dwarf species. I’ve had good luck with mine ignoring my SPS and clams (have previously had a flame, potter’s, multicolor and coral beauty), but I generally avoid keeping meat/brain corals (angels just seem irresistibly attracted to these).

For a 40, not sure there are any fish with similar body shape that would work. Any tang will certainly grow too large. Possibly a Starck’s damsel? They’re generally peaceful (for a damsel) and look much like a resplendent angel (my holy grail of the Centropyges) but are expensive and somewhat infrequently for sale.

1669340121924.jpeg

1669340108040.jpeg

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You run similar levels of risk with all dwarf species. I’ve had good luck with mine ignoring my SPS and clams (have previously had a flame, potter’s, multicolor and coral beauty), but I generally avoid keeping meat/brain corals (angels just seem irresistibly attracted to these).

For a 40, not sure there are any fish with similar body shape that would work. Any tang will certainly grow too large. Possibly a Starck’s damsel? They’re generally peaceful (for a damsel) and look much like a resplendent angel (my holy grail of the Centropyges) but are expensive and somewhat infrequently for sale.

1669340121924.jpeg

1669340108040.jpeg
I definitely agree. Flame angels are just as risky...I mean you can try... My neighbor actually has a flame that doesn't nip at anything in his frag tank but I have heard from numerous individuals that had to fish em out because of their destructive behavior.
I was on the fence too to get a flame angel once when I had a much much larger system but decided not to since I had couple clams in my tank.

TSM Aquatics

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 72 14.1%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 372 72.7%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 55 10.7%
AquaNerd