Coral beauty in reef tank

Should I have a Coral beauty in a 40 gallon reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With black Friday coming up, I am thinking of getting a coral beauty along with a leopard wrasse and a carpenter's flasher wrasse in a 40 gallon mixed reef tank. I have deresa clam and a maxima clam. I also currently have a
pj cardinal fish
a yellow coris wrasse
A tiny six line wrasse
Starry blenny
Wheelri prawn goby with pistol shrimp
Should this work out?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Breeder or regular
I think it’s a lot more doable with the extra width from the breeder tank.
Mine was never a problem in my 40B - very beautiful and added a lot of life to the tank.

OP
OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Breeder or regular
I think it’s a lot more doable with the extra width from the breeder tank.
Mine was never a problem in my 40B - very beautiful and added a lot of life to the tank.
It is a regular (I think) the dimensions are 36 inches Length, 18 inches in height and 16 inches in width.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely risky. Coral beauties are one of the most returned fish at my LFS. People read lots of stories about how they reef safe....and I am sure some get lucky and they are fine....however they also commonly are issues with clam mantles and zoas. Sometimes lps also.

OP
OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely risky. Coral beauties are one of the most returned fish at my LFS. People read lots of stories about how they reef safe....and I am sure some get lucky and they are fine....however they also commonly are issues with clam mantles and zoas. Sometimes lps also.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I have decided against a coral beauty. Is the flame angel any different? If it is the same is there any reef safe fish that can go in a 40 gallon reef tank that has the same body plan like a dwarf angelfish or tang?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I have decided against a coral beauty. Is the flame angel any different? If it is the same is there any reef safe fish that can go in a 40 gallon reef tank that has the same body plan like a dwarf angelfish or tang?
You run similar levels of risk with all dwarf species. I’ve had good luck with mine ignoring my SPS and clams (have previously had a flame, potter’s, multicolor and coral beauty), but I generally avoid keeping meat/brain corals (angels just seem irresistibly attracted to these).

For a 40, not sure there are any fish with similar body shape that would work. Any tang will certainly grow too large. Possibly a Starck’s damsel? They’re generally peaceful (for a damsel) and look much like a resplendent angel (my holy grail of the Centropyges) but are expensive and somewhat infrequently for sale.

1669340121924.jpeg

1669340108040.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback or cherub are on the smaller side - might fare better.
Otherwise I second some of the more peaceful damsels for a angel-like addition.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You run similar levels of risk with all dwarf species. I’ve had good luck with mine ignoring my SPS and clams (have previously had a flame, potter’s, multicolor and coral beauty), but I generally avoid keeping meat/brain corals (angels just seem irresistibly attracted to these).

For a 40, not sure there are any fish with similar body shape that would work. Any tang will certainly grow too large. Possibly a Starck’s damsel? They’re generally peaceful (for a damsel) and look much like a resplendent angel (my holy grail of the Centropyges) but are expensive and somewhat infrequently for sale.

1669340121924.jpeg

1669340108040.jpeg
I definitely agree. Flame angels are just as risky...I mean you can try... My neighbor actually has a flame that doesn't nip at anything in his frag tank but I have heard from numerous individuals that had to fish em out because of their destructive behavior.
I was on the fence too to get a flame angel once when I had a much much larger system but decided not to since I had couple clams in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back