Coral Beauty in trouble...please help!

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Please any help with my angel I would really appreciate any help.
It was in the tank fine for 2 days.
It was eating fine. Even ate today.
I go back to the tank an hour later and it's flipping around in the water.
It looks like it's almost paralyzed. There are pieces of frogspawn floating around and I wonder if the clowns beat it up bad???
It's pectoral fins are sticking straight out and it's body has a slight curve.
Do you think the coral poison got to it maybe from it taking a bite?

20190913_183638.jpg

Last edited:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell from video if it Is hiding or whatever.... Let a #reefsquad member take a look. Is it “flashing” at all (i.e. when it seems to seize is it trying to rub side on sandbed or rocks)?
Also report to them:
Is it swimming a lot during the day or does it tend to hide in caves a lot during the day?
Good luck. They can advise you if it is just a bit stressed as new addition or if they see an issue.

OP
OP
Goomba_BC

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks.
Thanks for the replies.
It hadn't been fed for 2 hours.
The tank haas been running since April as a tank upgrade.

It's not hiding or a swim bladder.
It's basically a full paralyzation, it get a slight curve and is stiff asa board with it's pectoral fins straight out.
No flashing or scratching.
When I scooped it up with a net, I had to wave at it to create a flow for it it to come off the bottom. It basically floats around with the flow created from the powerheads.

OP
OP
Goomba_BC

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works out for the little fella.
He is so active and is a fish that doesn't hide much. Ended up being a model citizen with no coral nipping.
I originally thought maybe he bit into a coral and the toxin affected it. But I've never seen it nip at any corals. None appeared closed either.

Not sure. Spinal injury or paralysis as possible. Out come are usually not very good. @HotRocks @4FordFamily ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have seen this in tangs, happens around feeding time in particular. I am unsure what causes it, people have hypothesized bad collection methods, medication poison, or just overwhelming stress. Seems to be seizure-like and then they recover. Unfortunately, in most cases it doesn’t improve. It happens more and more frequently until sudden death after an “episode”.

An otherwise healthy fish swimming, begins to eat, seizes all over the tank, lays at the bottom for 5-30 minutes, swims around like nothing happened.

Some report that fish recover but of the 3-4 times I’ve witnessed this with my own fish, I’ve never seen a recovery. Most on here I read about, same as my experience. Sorry :(

I also feel like I see ich on the fins?

OP
OP
Goomba_BC

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it but I think the spots are the white sand. You can see in the acclimation box it's resting in that there are no white spots.

I actually have seen this in tangs, happens around feeding time in particular. I am unsure what causes it, people have hypothesized bad collection methods, medication poison, or just overwhelming stress. Seems to be seizure-like and then they recover. Unfortunately, in most cases it doesn’t improve. It happens more and more frequently until sudden death after an “episode”.

An otherwise healthy fish swimming, begins to eat, seizes all over the tank, lays at the bottom for 5-30 minutes, swims around like nothing happened.

Some report that fish recover but of the 3-4 times I’ve witnessed this with my own fish, I’ve never seen a recovery. Most on here I read about, same as my experience. Sorry :(

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts about cyanide poisoning?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it but I think the spots are the white sand. You can see in the acclimation box it's resting in that there are no white spots.

Looks like it's got a sunken abdominal area. Internal parasites?

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Please any help with my angel I would really appreciate any help.
It was in the tank fine for 2 days.
It was eating fine. Even ate today.
I go back to the tank an hour later and it's flipping around in the water.
It looks like it's almost paralyzed. There are pieces of frogspawn floating around and I wonder if the clowns beat it up bad???
It's pectoral fins are sticking straight out and it's body has a slight curve.
Do you think the coral poison got to it maybe from it taking a bite?

20190913_183638.jpg
i have a yellow tang that was doing this today, i gave him a freshwater dip for 9 minutes and hes better now, could be some sort of parasite attacking the gills.

OP
OP
Goomba_BC

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting it ready for a freshwater dip. It has one when it went into the qt tank prior to being put in the display tank.
I'll do a 5 min dip, or is 9 mins better?

i have a yellow tang that was doing this today, i gave him a freshwater dip for 9 minutes and hes better now, could be some sort of parasite attacking the gills.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting it ready for a freshwater dip. It has one when it went into the qt tank prior to being put in the display tank.
I'll do a 5 min dip, or is 9 mins better?

It's iffy. 5mins but if there is anymore signs of distress, pull it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back