Coral Beauty Not Eating. Any Ideas?

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for any and all advice. I added a Coral Beauty 10 days ago to my 5 & a half month old system. The fishy had been at a trusted LFS for about 3 weeks & was eating mysis & pellets. I can not get this fish to show even a remote interest in food. She hangs out in the very top left corner of the tank in the same 6 inch square. I've tried multiple frozen foods (mysis, brine, reef frenzy etc)., pellets, live black worms, & even live brine shrimp. She went towards a black worm fire a split second but then nothing. I've also soaked foods in garlic. Nothing has worked.
When I first introduced her to my tank my Blue eyed Kole Tang aggressed on her for about an hour but then quickly ignored her. He hasn't aggressed since. The other fish are 3 Dispar anthias, 2 ocellaris clowns, foxface, & the kole tang. All are well & eat regularly. I'm going to pick up live brine shrimp tomorrow but, is there any advice or outside of the box ideas to spark appetite? It's honestly hard to watch her. I'm up to try anything!
Thanks in advance!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will get hungry, maybe she’s been snacking while your not looking.
She’s pretty new, my yellow tang went 2 weeks with no food when she got knocked down the peck order, but she got over it.
Be patient.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in seperate qt/ observation tank and get eating again as that tang probably did the job it set out to do and scared it.
Then after getting it back eating then put it back in an acliminastion box and if no aggression shown towards coral beauty in box release after few days.if tang or any other fish shows agression keep in box little longer.
Feed the tank through the acliminastion box and let food float out holes in side.this way other fish will come upto box to get food and get used to coral beauty.
Another way is to re- arrange rockwork so new territories would need to be established.but a healthy fish can go quite sometime without eating.hopefully yours is healthy, but fishes go through alot of hands before we buy them from a lfs so its had alot stress and us adding to our tanks is more stress
All this i say above is what ive read to get myself good info if ever have same problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It could be intimidated by another tank mate. Is the fish at least pecking on the glass and/or rocks?
Assure salinity is not elevated

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will get hungry, maybe she’s been snacking while your not looking.

It could be intimidated by another tank mate. Is the fish at least pecking on the glass and/or rocks?
Assure salinity is not elevated
She just started pecking at the glass by the out flows but, there's nothing there. she stays along the very top back of the tank. Never seen her anywhere else. I literally haven't seen her anywhere else. I also haven't see any other fish picking on her since the first day.
My salinity is at 35. Is that too high? How can elevated salinity play into her appetite?

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in seperate qt/ observation tank and get eating again as that tang probably did the job it set out to do and scared it.
Then after getting it back eating then put it back in an acliminastion box and if no aggression shown towards coral beauty in box release after few days.if tang or any other fish shows agression keep in box little longer.
Feed the tank through the acliminastion box and let food float out holes in side.this way other fish will come upto box to get food and get used to coral beauty.
Another way is to re- arrange rockwork so new territories would need to be established.but a healthy fish can go quite sometime without eating.hopefully yours is healthy, but fishes go through alot of hands before we buy them from a lfs so its had alot stress and us adding to our tanks is more stress
All this i say above is what ive read to get myself good info if ever have same problem
I may try an acclimation box but, I'm a little nervous that may add additional stress to her.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
She just started pecking at the glass by the out flows but, there's nothing there. she stays along the very top back of the tank. Never seen her anywhere else. I literally haven't seen her anywhere else. I also haven't see any other fish picking on her since the first day.
My salinity is at 35. Is that too high? How can elevated salinity play into her appetite?
35PPT (1.025) is good. Next time you feed, set your phone on video and record for about 20 , then walk away. Review recording afterwards and see if its eating when youre not present- may be bashful

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35PPT (1.025) is good. Next time you feed, set your phone on video and record for about 20 , then walk away. Review recording afterwards and see if its eating when youre not present- may be bashful
I'm definitely going to do that! That's a great idea!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible internal parasites, unless extreme bullying a healthy fish will eat in a short time, especially in a tank where other tank mates are eating.

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible internal parasites, unless extreme bullying a healthy fish will eat in a short time, especially in a tank where other tank mates are eating.
Everyone else is most definitely eating!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Live rock!! Yes I do. But she won't leave the very upper back of the tank so, she never goes anywhere close to the rock.
Shot 'in the dark' , but have you reduced lighting schedule at all? First few days of acclimation for an Eibli Angel to an existing Coral Beauty were agony. Dumped my lighting to about 4 hours on for a few days, it worked wonders.....

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot 'in the dark' , but have you reduced lighting schedule at all? First few days of acclimation for an Eibli Angel to an existing Coral Beauty were agony. Dumped my lighting to about 4 hours on for a few days, it worked wonders.....
I did but only on day 1. I'm going to try it again for a few consecutive days. I'm opened to try anything! Thank you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back