Coral Beauty not eating

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Coral Beauty on Thursday [4 days ago] and have not seen her eat. I have tried various foods, and have soaked them in garlic but haven't had any luck getting her to eat any of it. She picks on my rocks here and there, and on the glass but I don't have much [any] algae in my tank. I am worried that she may be starving?

She swims in and out of the live rock, but likes a spot in the back where she's not very visible. I haven't seen any signs of aggression from my other fish, and she sometimes swims around the open water with the others.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics attached
71dfca63c88c4838a04dcc6cb24fb720.jpg
694066df74aa278c7d89e93e8d2021bf.jpg
525ace402c915d3f8cf6987b7392e14f.jpg
cce2eaf3044d0ed65f1df31f7a98d953.jpg

8808d552c38f3816b3c30c80aee14184.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't observe ours eat for about a month (I'm sure it picked at the rocks while I wasn't looking) but started eating like a pig (will eat anything now). Pretty sure I was feeding Rod's at the time.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try clams on the half shell and keep everything calm around the tank. Drop in the clam and walk away.

Are clams in a shell supposed to be real enticing to Coral Beauty's? I was hoping to keep a few clams with the CB, or at least test/try it to see if she'd get along with them. I'm cautious that feeding clams might spur her appetite for clams if/when I add one in. The CB is my main focus however, so if that's what it's going to take to keep her [no clams in the tank] then I will forego adding clams.

I didn't observe ours eat for about a month (I'm sure it picked at the rocks while I wasn't looking) but started eating like a pig (will eat anything now). Pretty sure I was feeding Rod's at the time.

I'm not able to get Rods locally, though i've heard great things about it. Online shipping is just too expensive to get a pack or two of fish food.
I have seen her pick at rocks/back wall of the cube but i've just been worried that she hasn't shown an interest in the 'storm' of food soaked in garlic that I put into the tank. I historically have way overfed my tank, but lucky enough haven't had any water quality/algae issues. She comes out when I feed the tank initially but then just swims around paying the food no attention.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are clams in a shell supposed to be real enticing to Coral Beauty's? I was hoping to keep a few clams with the CB, or at least test/try it to see if she'd get along with them. I'm cautious that feeding clams might spur her appetite for clams if/when I add one in. The CB is my main focus however, so if that's what it's going to take to keep her [no clams in the tank] then I will forego adding clams.

I'm not able to get Rods locally, though i've heard great things about it. Online shipping is just too expensive to get a pack or two of fish food.
By their nature dwarf angels are grazers. So providing opportunities for it to graze, such as clams on the half shell will help.

A dead shucked clam is quite different from a healthy living clam. However, angels have been known to nip at clams.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen her pick at rocks/back wall of the cube but i've just been worried that she hasn't shown an interest in the 'storm' of food soaked in garlic that I put into the tank. I historically have way overfed my tank, but lucky enough haven't had any water quality/algae issues. She comes out when I feed the tank initially but then just swims around paying the food no attention.

I don't believe the brand to be important (I switched to LRS not long after and have used that ever since), just takes time for them to acclimate to the way food is being introduced to them.

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took about 5 days to start eating. Now it smashes mysis and pellets. Don’t worry about it just give it a little more time.

jenjen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats nori off the clip pretty well constantly throughout the day - might be worth a try if you haven't already.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats nori off the clip pretty well constantly throughout the day - might be worth a try if you haven't already.
I've been keeping an algae sheet in there every other day or so, but the CB and the Lawnmower Blenny don't touch it. It turns to mush and just flops around on the clip without any pieces taken from it. =(

She has been out and about more lately, I'm heading to the LFS tonight to get some clams on half shell to throw in there for her.

Chad6702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves rods original. It will also eat nori off of the clip as well. I would hang some of that in there as well. I have had clown go 7 days without eating and be ok.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty is another one that comes in frequently with parasites, i wouldn't be surprised if that's not what's inhibiting it's appetite. Looks like you've already put him in the display, that does make it more complicated. Since he's not eating, something like prazi pro woukd not be out of the question.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Coral Beauty on Thursday [4 days ago] and have not seen her eat. I have tried various foods, and have soaked them in garlic but haven't had any luck getting her to eat any of it. She picks on my rocks here and there, and on the glass but I don't have much [any] algae in my tank. I am worried that she may be starving?

She swims in and out of the live rock, but likes a spot in the back where she's not very visible. I haven't seen any signs of aggression from my other fish, and she sometimes swims around the open water with the others.

Any suggestions?
feed it some black worms , that will work

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back