Coral Beauty pacing front glass constantly

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put a coral beauty angelfish into my tank about a week ago and all it does is pace back and forth on the front glass every second of every day, it also hasn't eaten anything I've given it yet but I hear they usually take some time to adjust before they eat. I do almost always have a few pieces of nori wedged between rocks for it to graze on and it doesn't really pay any attention to that either. My real concern is the glass surfing it's got going on. It will occasionally stop to chase a damsel or two but then right back to surfing, It's in a 70 gallon tank with plenty of life rock with caves and tunnels and holes for it to swim through and all my water parameters are almost perfect and steady with the exception of my temp being a little high but I'm saving up for a chiller but I really doubt that's the problem. Anybody have a similar experience with coral beauty?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in there?

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just
What other fish are in there?

Just two clowns, two blue damsels, and two cleaner shrimp. The coral beauty lets the cleaner shrimp clean it so I really doubt they're the problem and the clowns are really good at keeping to themselves. The damsels are the only thing I could think of that would bully it but the even then the damsels only bully each other, they keep their beef between themselves lol

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is seeing its own reflection in the glass and is trying to dominate it. My Gold Rim tang will do it every evening, I find it funny as it looks like it is trying to flex in the mirror, lol!

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is seeing its own reflection in the glass and is trying to dominate it. My Gold Rim tang will do it every evening, I find it funny as it looks like it is trying to flex in the mirror, lol!

That's kinda what I figured it was doing, Every so often it'll get super close to the glass and just wiggle it's little heart out lol I haven't seen it stop and look at itself yet, little crackhead fish never stops moving!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn a light in the room on so the reflection is gone and see if it stops.

My tang and foxface do the same thing at certain times of the day when the light is right.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda what I figured it was doing, Every so often it'll get super close to the glass and just wiggle it's little heart out lol I haven't seen it stop and look at itself yet, little crackhead fish never stops moving!
The funny thing is that my Gold Rim tang doesn't do it on the length of the tank, it does it on the width which means it back and forth, back and forth and its almost comical, I'm like seriously, LOL!!! I have 2 mp40 pumps their so it does figure eights.

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn a light in the room on so the reflection is gone and see if it stops.

My tang and foxface do the same thing at certain times of the day when the light is right.

I've had just about every possible lighting scenario happen in my room and the little fella just keeps going lol

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is that my Gold Rim tang doesn't do it on the length of the tank, it does it on the width which means it back and forth, back and forth and its almost comical, I'm like seriously, LOL!!! I have 2 mp40 pumps their so it does figure eights.

That's pretty funny! It seems like tangs are either real goofy or just real uneventful, no in between lol my next purchase is gonna be a tang, I just haven't decided what I want yet given that my choices are limited due to the size of tank I have.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty funny! It seems like tangs are either real goofy or just real uneventful, no in between lol my next purchase is gonna be a tang, I just haven't decided what I want yet given that my choices are limited due to the size of tank I have.
The fact that you know that means you care, props for that!!!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank well established with algae growing? Dwarf Angels tend to prefer to graze when they first start out as it is what they are used to in the wild. I don't think mine did anything but algae grazing for the first week after I got it. Then it eventually started eating Nori and then LRS Reef Frenzy.

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank well established with algae growing? Dwarf Angels tend to prefer to graze when they first start out as it is what they are used to in the wild. I don't think mine did anything but algae grazing for the first week after I got it. Then it eventually started eating Nori and then LRS Reef Frenzy.

I wouldn't say well established, it's been running for about 4 and a half months. It does have a fair amount of algae growth though, I keep it that way because my urchin likes to grub on the algae as snack when he's not murdering the coralline population in my tank lol he's been grazing on the rock here and there, I've consistently had nori in the tank 24/7 for him, I have one piece on a clip and two more fastened to the rock where he hangs out the most on each side of the tank. I haven't seen him really touch the nori at all but he did go for a pellet or two when I fed the tank today. Didn't touch the flakes or mysis though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back