Coral Beauty Stringy Poo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Coral Beauty two weeks ago and noticed that it has some stringy poo. The poo can sometimes extend to 15-20cm stuck in its bottom before it breaks off. The colour of its poo is usually the colour of the food I just fed it. e.g. Nori would produce green stringy poo. Over the past two weeks, I have been feeding it spirulina enriched brine, Mysis, New Life Spectrum Marine pellets, Nori and it devours everything I place in the tank. The CB is active, fat and appears healthy and is currently in my QT.

I have done a bit of research and discovered that there are various schools of thought on the topic. Some say its related to stress, some say its diet and it will go away if the diet is improved or stress factors are removed. The CB is currently in alone my QT and water parameters are spot on so I dont think its stress related. As mentioned above, I am feeding him a varied diet.

Others believe its a parasitic infection. As my CB is still in the QT, I decided to purchase Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets (Prazi) as it is a good preventative as well. I completed the treatment on Saturday but the poop is still the same today. Upon further investigation, it appears that I may have purchased the incorrect medication as I should have gotten Levamisole which is sold as a pig and poultry dewormer.

Should I bite the bullet and treat my CB with Levamisole or should I wait till the 4 week QT period is finished and see what happens? I just dont want to treat if it may not be necessary.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
85C2C736-B0CB-4B44-A98C-50D1515DEADE.jpeg
BA42E1C5-0AC6-4CAD-B250-E37A07B0A69F.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White mucus feces is more of an issue, I’m less worried if they are the color of the food. Levamisole and praziquantel treat metazoan worm parasites, but most stringy feces are caused by protozoans or bacteria. Do you have access to anything with metronidazole in it?
Jay

OP
OP
Mielo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White mucus feces is more of an issue, I’m less worried if they are the color of the food. Levamisole and praziquantel treat metazoan worm parasites, but most stringy feces are caused by protozoans or bacteria. Do you have access to anything with metronidazole in it?
Jay
Hi Jay. I just did some research and it appears I could get a hold of metronidazole (Flagyl) in tablet form.

Based on another recommendation, I purchased Revolution Fish Nutrition+ today and I should get it in a few days time. Would you recommend I start adding the nutrition to his food and see how it goes or should I just buy the Flagyl and treat him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - we don't have Revolution in the US, so I can't tell you how that will work. With Metronidazole tablets, you need to know what percentage of the tablet is active ingredient. The dose is is 25mg active metro per gallon of tank water daily for 3 days.

Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Coral Beauty two weeks ago and noticed that it has some stringy poo. The poo can sometimes extend to 15-20cm stuck in its bottom before it breaks off. The colour of its poo is usually the colour of the food I just fed it. e.g. Nori would produce green stringy poo. Over the past two weeks, I have been feeding it spirulina enriched brine, Mysis, New Life Spectrum Marine pellets, Nori and it devours everything I place in the tank. The CB is active, fat and appears healthy and is currently in my QT.

I have done a bit of research and discovered that there are various schools of thought on the topic. Some say its related to stress, some say its diet and it will go away if the diet is improved or stress factors are removed. The CB is currently in alone my QT and water parameters are spot on so I dont think its stress related. As mentioned above, I am feeding him a varied diet.

Others believe its a parasitic infection. As my CB is still in the QT, I decided to purchase Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets (Prazi) as it is a good preventative as well. I completed the treatment on Saturday but the poop is still the same today. Upon further investigation, it appears that I may have purchased the incorrect medication as I should have gotten Levamisole which is sold as a pig and poultry dewormer.

Should I bite the bullet and treat my CB with Levamisole or should I wait till the 4 week QT period is finished and see what happens? I just dont want to treat if it may not be necessary.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
85C2C736-B0CB-4B44-A98C-50D1515DEADE.jpeg
BA42E1C5-0AC6-4CAD-B250-E37A07B0A69F.jpeg
My flameback and multicolor angels both have the same poo and I was worried about it too. I mentioned it in a previous post and apparently it’s normal for dwarf angels, I think it’s more like jay said you should worry if it’s white and stringy

OP
OP
Mielo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you jaganshi066!
The Reef Revolution Fish Nutrition + has arrived and I have started adding it to the fish food.
1571BBCB-6C93-4B4F-ADC5-2AF7F099B8BD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mielo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I persevere with the Reef Revolution Fish Nutrition + before considering treating with the Metronidazole (Flagyl)?

The CB is still eating like a pig, appears to be fat, healthy and very active.

OP
OP
Mielo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flameback and multicolor angels both have the same poo and I was worried about it too. I mentioned it in a previous post and apparently it’s normal for dwarf angels, I think it’s more like jay said you should worry if it’s white and stringy
The CB has now been over 6 weeks in the qt. All his food (mysis, brine, nori) has been soaked in fish nutrition + for the past two weeks. I even fed him skinless peas for the last week. He is still devouring anything and everything I place in the tank. Still very active and appears very healthy and fat overall.

He still, however is crapping the green stringy poo. Its still exactly the same from when I noticed it six weeks ago and there appears to be no improvement.

@jaganshi066 - How long did it take your flameback and multicolor angels to stop pooing stringy poo?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CB has now been over 6 weeks in the qt. All his food (mysis, brine, nori) has been soaked in fish nutrition + for the past two weeks. I even fed him skinless peas for the last week. He is still devouring anything and everything I place in the tank. Still very active and appears very healthy and fat overall.

He still, however is crapping the green stringy poo. Its still exactly the same from when I noticed it six weeks ago and there appears to be no improvement.

@jaganshi066 - How long did it take your flameback and multicolor angels to stop pooing stringy poo?
It stayed like that, all my angels are like that other than my Pygmy angel, I have two flamebacks and one multicolor and they all still do that. It’s been over a year but I heard it’s normal for them. Not too sure

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angel had white stringy poop when I first got him. Treated unsuccessfully with Metro and Prozi for about two months. Finally I gave up medicating and placed it into DT. Years later it is a healthy looking fish that eats well but still occasionally has a stringy poop. FWIW
E1E71379-C256-4F30-9D13-5360F2892E41.jpeg

OP
OP
Mielo

Mielo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angel had white stringy poop when I first got him. Treated unsuccessfully with Metro and Prozi for about two months. Finally I gave up medicating and placed it into DT. Years later it is a healthy looking fish that eats well but still occasionally has a stringy poop. FWIW
E1E71379-C256-4F30-9D13-5360F2892E41.jpeg
Hey Fishnut

I am actually considering doing the same thing and putting him in the DT...I do not want to treat the fish unnecessarily , but at the same time, I am a bit hesitant as most of my babies/fish in my DT have been with me for over 8 years and I do not want to jeopardize them in any way!

Did any of your other fish in your DT get affected (discharge stringy poo) after you placed the angel in the DT?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back