Coral beauty white patches, not ich. Help please

Jeisold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, My juvenile (maybe 2 inches if that) coral beauty has developed white-ish patches, 3 in total.
I'm new to the reefing hobby, but I have seen what I understood was ich before and they were many spots and well defined.
These however are not defined at all and dull white, which makes me question. Photos attempt to show, but he doesn't like having his picture taken! They have shown up over past couple days, he's still eating and swimming around grazing on rocks, not seeing anything I'd call odd behavior. 2 on the head are a couple mm the one on the left side is 5 or 6 mm.
Still in the display at the moment (I know catching will be an adventure) other fish are fine currently, the cb is the newest addition (2 weeks)
Any help identifying what this is? Thanks in advance!

P.s. maybe of note, I have noticed him and my diamond goby are "still getting used to each other" not serious, but cb still likes to try and visit goby's cave!
Screenshot_20210425-100009_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210425-100122_Photos.jpg
20210425_094346.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They look a little like 'scratches' or 'injuries'. Could also be the early start of something else - or some damage from shipping/transfer (Not sure how long you've had). I had similar 'patches' on a copperband - which resolved on its own. I'm sure others @Jay Hemdal will weigh in?

OP
OP
J

Jeisold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've had about 2 weeks, they just came up over course of past couple days. I was kinda thinking same thing, Since goby doesn't like cave intruders!

If abrasion anything I can do to help? Is stress guard totally reef safe?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, I've had about 2 weeks, they just came up over course of past couple days. I was kinda thinking same thing, Since goby doesn't like cave intruders!

If abrasion anything I can do to help? Is stress guard totally reef safe?
I don't believe it would cause problems - I'm not sure it will help. Might just watch for infection/redness, worsening. Feed well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post clearer pictures, taken under white light, that would help. I'm struggling to see anything other than a vague splotch...

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeisold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely try and get a better shot. Even to the eye it's vague. I will say it seems directional. Meaning it's more noticeable at certain angles (45 degrees behind) but almost disappears at others. Maybe just the nature of scales but yeah.

OP
OP
J

Jeisold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. While his sides still look wierd (but not worse), the marks on the head are far less noticeable today. He's still behaving normally, and refusing to allow me to take his photo! For now I guess I'll be monitoring, thanks for the replies!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back