Coral beauty with ich?

livcooley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m in need of some advice. I’ve been in the hobby for only a few months now and I have a 75 gallon fish only tank with two clowns, a damsel, a cardinal, and a coral beauty.

Everyone in the tank has been happy and healthy so far (knock on wood). The only major issue I had prior to these last couple weeks was when I bought a juvenile yellow tang from my LFS. He seemed healthy, had no visible issues and no strange behavior, and we found him dead 5 days after buying him. We immediately tested the water- no issues. (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, ~15 ppm nitrates, salinity 1.024). All the other fish seemed fine. We figured it was a fluke. Went back to the LFS about a month later and told the owner- he couldn’t figure out why the tang would have died and replaced it for us. We brought the new tang home, drip acclimated him, and added him to the tank. He was very shy, which I know is normal, and didn’t swim around a whole lot. Instead he spent a lot of time hanging under a live rock arch. The coral beauty spent a lot of time hanging out with him (she got along well with the other yellow tang too for the 5 days we had him).

The day after we got the yellow tang, when the blue night lights came on, we watched the yellow tang swim close to the light and saw that he was COVERED in white spots/patches. We freaked out but didn’t have any medication on hand to treat him. Within about 20 minutes of us noticing the white on him (which was completely not visible under the normal light) he was laying on his side on the sand bed. We tried a freshwater dip but he was still struggling to stay upright so took him out and put him in a 10 gallon with a small power head so he wouldn’t die in the tank as it really didn’t seem like he was going to make it after that. He died within a couple hours. My boyfriend also told me he had seen the white patches the night before (the same day we got the fish) but he thought they were microbubbles (we had just gotten a new skimmer and it was making a ton of microbubbles in the tank).

We went back to the LFS (which has a very good reputation and we really like the owner) and the owner says it looks like ich and that it must have been in our tank because he didn’t see any white spots on the fish when he gave it to us. My question is - is this ich or does it look more like velvet? I know yellow tangs are supposed to be pretty hardy so how likely is it that ich would completely overwhelm and kill it in just over 24 hours? And how likely is it that it came from my tank?

We monitored the rest of the fish very closely over the next couple days as we prepared a QT tank to treat them in. (We got a 40 gallon tank and set it up with a power head and HOB filter.) During the first couple days everyone looked and seemed fine, but after a few days while still in the display tank, the coral beauty had a couple white spots on her face and was also seemingly losing color and becoming pale in the face region. We moved everyone into QT and started dosing Cupramine (I dosed half the recommended amount the first day and then half the second day instead of doing one large dose because I wanted to bring the levels up slowly.) Now I’m stuck on how rapidly or slowly to add the second dose based on what’s happening with the CB. She still looks kind of pale, still has little white dots on her face (like grains of salt, nothing like how the tang looked) and isn’t acting normal. She is hanging in one corner of the tank near the top and is constantly pouting her lips (which I’m afraid could be a sign that she’s gasping for air/has something in her gills?) She isn’t swimming all around like she usually does and she just generally doesn’t seem comfortable/content. I know part of this could be stress because she’s in quarantine and doesn’t have her normal surfaces to graze algae from (which she normally does all day long) so I put an algae sheet in there but she isn’t eating it. (She never ate it when I offered it to her in the display either.)

I’ve read CBs can be sensitive to copper so I don’t want to ramp up the levels too quickly but if she is suffering from ich or velvet I don’t want to lose precious time fighting it off. I took a black light flashlight and tried to see if I could see any white near her gills and I don’t - the only visible white is the spots on her face.

I’ve attached pictures of the tang right before it died (which is about 36 hours after we got him) and the coral beauty now.

I am monitoring ammonia levels in the tank and doing small water changes daily. I have some bio balls from the old tank in the HOB and have also added quick start to the water to help the nitrifying process.

If you’ve taken the time to read this whole post I really appreciate it and could use some help! What should my next steps be to help the coral beauty and any insight on the tangs?!

Editing to add: per API copper test kit (which I only found out isn’t totally accurate for Cupramine after I bought it) the copper level is currently very low (less than 0.25?) probably because I’ve done a couple small water changes to control for ammonia. I’m going to add a small amount of Cupramine now (half the recommended second dose).
95373B4F-C897-4C52-BA5E-721B87984E9F.png
1E904489-0EEA-41A2-ACD9-E82B0F21951D.png
E0F28DF4-8A0C-409B-8F85-BE4F5AAE6A5A.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

It looks like your post got "buried", I'm just seeing it now, very sorry!

Any update on the fish? The spots could be ich, but CB also develop flukes, and you are correct, the YT dying so fast is pretty suspicious, and it could have been velvet.

Key to all this is "rapid breathing", I know this is rather subjective, but velvet will cause rapid breathing, followed by fish loss, while ich will cause white spots and the fish won't breath rapidly until a few days into the infection.

Take a look at the link below my name here, it gives hints as to other information that can help us diagnose the issue with your fish. One thing that might help is a short video of the CB taken under white light.

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
livcooley123

livcooley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

It looks like your post got "buried", I'm just seeing it now, very sorry!

Any update on the fish? The spots could be ich, but CB also develop flukes, and you are correct, the YT dying so fast is pretty suspicious, and it could have been velvet.

Key to all this is "rapid breathing", I know this is rather subjective, but velvet will cause rapid breathing, followed by fish loss, while ich will cause white spots and the fish won't breath rapidly until a few days into the infection.

Take a look at the link below my name here, it gives hints as to other information that can help us diagnose the issue with your fish. One thing that might help is a short video of the CB taken under white light.

Thanks,

Jay
Thanks Jay! The CB seems to be doing much better, she has regained most of her color and I can’t see the white spots anymore. Fingers crossed everyone makes it through this quarantine and back into the display tank without a hitch.

Thanks again!!

Reefium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a uv sterilizer sufficient for your pump size. Make sure pump circulates tank about 10+ per hour min

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would catch all your fish and run them through qt. Just recently did this myself. Its not worth it to deal woth diseased fish over and over. Let the tank run fallow for 76days and start it over with qt fish. Also the peroxide bath and ruby reef bath on humble.fish website both work great.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticing this now, and based on how fast that tang dropped dead, and how dusty the fish look, could be velvet. Velvet isn’t always an immediate killer as you might read. That’s just my experience. It only really kills once it gets a chance to, like it did with a stressed yellow tang. It’s important to QT immediately, which I’m sure you’re on top of. Marine velvet may not always spread quickly, but it becomes a problem fast, especially for weaker fish such as tangs and angels. Best bet for irradiation is QT then fallow. You could even run your DT at hyposalinity seeings it’s a fish-only system. In the future, QT all new fish. It’s just the best method for your tank’s prosperity. As you have experienced with the yellow tangs, you cannot always trust the health of the fish you buy from an LFS. It’s always best to ensure the heath yourself through QT observation and, if necessary, medication. I’d love to hear an update with your remaining fish, though.

OP
OP
livcooley123

livcooley123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticing this now, and based on how fast that tang dropped dead, and how dusty the fish look, could be velvet. Velvet isn’t always an immediate killer as you might read. That’s just my experience. It only really kills once it gets a chance to, like it did with a stressed yellow tang. It’s important to QT immediately, which I’m sure you’re on top of. Marine velvet may not always spread quickly, but it becomes a problem fast, especially for weaker fish such as tangs and angels. Best bet for irradiation is QT then fallow. You could even run your DT at hyposalinity seeings it’s a fish-only system. In the future, QT all new fish. It’s just the best method for your tank’s prosperity. As you have experienced with the yellow tangs, you cannot always trust the health of the fish you buy from an LFS. It’s always best to ensure the heath yourself through QT observation and, if necessary, medication. I’d love to hear an update with your remaining fish, though.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately the coral beauty didn’t make it :( she seemed to be doing really well in QT (we were treating all the fish with copper and running the DT fallow) and she had recovered her color and had no more visible white spots. However one night about 3.5 weeks into running the QT she passed away during the night. We were totally shocked as she was acting normally earlier that day. We were having trouble getting the tank to cycle and struggling to keep nitrites down so I’m wondering if the stress of QT and less than ideal water parameters eventually got to her.
We were pretty devastated to lose her - she had such a great personality and seemed to have an almost maternal disposition with the rest of the fish. We now have everyone back in the DT (we cut the QT short for fear of further casualties) and we are keeping a close eye on everything.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss.
That’s how my firefish went... One day darting around, recovering and healthy, the next day suddenly dead. It’s hard when it’s a fish you’ve grown attached to, so I’m really bummed out to hear you lost the angel.
How did the rest of the fish do? Did they take the meds well?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back