Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral beauty with white patches over eyes​

Amcompton

New Member​

I'm new to this, just started in jan 2021. I have a coral beauty who has been acting fine but started with white eyebrows about 2 month ago. I've had her about 4 months. It has gotten a bit bigger in the last few weeks. She eats like a pig and very active. One person thought she make have scraped herself as she likes to go in the cave at night. Then I was told maybe hlle. I had ick once on a few fish for 1 day and it went away the next the first water change 4 months ago. No stray voltage, I have a sponge, charcoal and bead filter system that hangs on the back. I do weekly water changes of 8 to 9 gals of my 55 gal tank. I switched to rodi water 6 weeks ago. My nitrates go between 20 to 40, ph is 7.8 or 8.0. I have started using angel food with sponge in it along with the brine shrimp, mysis, spiraling and flakes on and off. I try to give variety 2x a day. From what I have read I have tried everything. My Ca was a bit low 320 2 wks ago and the fish store had me add CA for 5 days at 5ml/day. It is now 520 if I did the test right. All other fish are well no signs on them of anything wierd. Its not velvety or ich like. Looks like scrapes but getting larger last few weeks.

2 clowns, 1 goby, 2 chromies, 2 pajama cardinals, 1 gamma, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 giant snails, 2 small cone snail, 2 blue legged and 1 scarlet crab and an emerald crab. The tanks is clean and they all look good except my beauty has those white patches. I dont know what to do or if she is acting fine just be happy. Thank you for any help. AM. Also i amnot sure how to post a picture on this i am not techy at all

Here is a photo of my coral beauty with the white patches. I hope this comes through. I've done everything my fish guy has told .e through learning g about having a saltwater tanks. I have read multiple forums and gotten a different answer each time I tend to go 2 out of 3. I am confused with what to do or not do all I know is if I do one thing someone else will say I should not have done that. Please be kind, im trying. Im hoping she will be ok and that I'm doing alright. Thank you

Attachments​

• 20210815_123222_resized.jpg
    20210815_123222_resized.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2
Quote Reply

1629210600711.gif 1629210600800.gif 1629210600758.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s bacterial. Caused by poor water quality or other exposure as well as some erosion of the skin.
water change plus quarantine and treat with maracyn 2
Also focus on diet feeding:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s bacterial. Caused by poor water quality or other exposure as well as some erosion of the skin.
water change plus quarantine and treat with maracyn 2
Also focus on diet feeding:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
Thank you for your reply. Everything for water is 0 where it should be except my nitrates go between 20 to 40 and sometimes. I do 9 to 10 gal changes everywhere with rodi water. I used tap until 7 weeks ago and have been working on rodi since then. My salinity is 1.023 or 1.022 depending. The stores regractometer is always 1.025 but my digital one calibration with the saltwater packets says I'm good so I've stayed in the middle just in case. I have a mixup of food, mysis, spirulina, mega algae, marine angel, mega marine and formula one. I mix and match. I have this liquid called Rally pro that a friend uses in his tank as a broad spectrum that is supposed to be ref safe and no copper for the shrimp. But I'm a bit nervous to add it. Some reviews are scary. Is there a way to treat her without stressing he with the move, I dont think I could ever catch her, and I dont have a QT now. Is there any way to help her? Will that get on the other fish, so far no one else shows anything and its been 2 to 3 months since it showed up? I have the sponge, charcoal bag and ceramic bead type filter. I've lessened the charcoal to about 4 quarter cups instead of 10 in the bags and chage them every 3 weeks now as of last month per suggestion. There is thoughts that charcoal dust can be an issue when I was told it was hlle. But I dont see the Pitts. Sorry for al the questions, I haven't had any help no matter who I ask until now really. Will this kill her? Thank you

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant i do weekly water changes. And twice I got 10 for nitrates the past month then back to 20
Thank you for your reply. Everything for water is 0 where it should be except my nitrates go between 20 to 40 and sometimes. I do 9 to 10 gal changes everywhere with rodi water. I used tap until 7 weeks ago and have been working on rodi since then. My salinity is 1.023 or 1.022 depending. The stores regractometer is always 1.025 but my digital one calibration with the saltwater packets says I'm good so I've stayed in the middle just in case. I have a mixup of food, mysis, spirulina, mega algae, marine angel, mega marine and formula one. I mix and match. I have this liquid called Rally pro that a friend uses in his tank as a broad spectrum that is supposed to be ref safe and no copper for the shrimp. But I'm a bit nervous to add it. Some reviews are scary. Is there a way to treat her without stressing he with the move, I dont think I could ever catch her, and I dont have a QT now. Is there any way to help her? Will that get on the other fish, so far no one else shows anything and its been 2 to 3 months since it showed up? I have the sponge, charcoal bag and ceramic bead type filter. I've lessened the charcoal to about 4 quarter cups instead of 10 in the bags and chage them every 3 weeks now as of last month per suggestion. There is thoughts that charcoal dust can be an issue when I was told it was hlle. But I dont see the Pitts. Sorry for al the questions, I haven't had any help no matter who I ask until now really. Will this kill her? Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral beauty with white patches over eyes​

Amcompton

New Member​

I'm new to this, just started in jan 2021. I have a coral beauty who has been acting fine but started with white eyebrows about 2 month ago. I've had her about 4 months. It has gotten a bit bigger in the last few weeks. She eats like a pig and very active. One person thought she make have scraped herself as she likes to go in the cave at night. Then I was told maybe hlle. I had ick once on a few fish for 1 day and it went away the next the first water change 4 months ago. No stray voltage, I have a sponge, charcoal and bead filter system that hangs on the back. I do weekly water changes of 8 to 9 gals of my 55 gal tank. I switched to rodi water 6 weeks ago. My nitrates go between 20 to 40, ph is 7.8 or 8.0. I have started using angel food with sponge in it along with the brine shrimp, mysis, spiraling and flakes on and off. I try to give variety 2x a day. From what I have read I have tried everything. My Ca was a bit low 320 2 wks ago and the fish store had me add CA for 5 days at 5ml/day. It is now 520 if I did the test right. All other fish are well no signs on them of anything wierd. Its not velvety or ich like. Looks like scrapes but getting larger last few weeks.

2 clowns, 1 goby, 2 chromies, 2 pajama cardinals, 1 gamma, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 giant snails, 2 small cone snail, 2 blue legged and 1 scarlet crab and an emerald crab. The tanks is clean and they all look good except my beauty has those white patches. I dont know what to do or if she is acting fine just be happy. Thank you for any help. AM. Also i amnot sure how to post a picture on this i am not techy at all

Here is a photo of my coral beauty with the white patches. I hope this comes through. I've done everything my fish guy has told .e through learning g about having a saltwater tanks. I have read multiple forums and gotten a different answer each time I tend to go 2 out of 3. I am confused with what to do or not do all I know is if I do one thing someone else will say I should not have done that. Please be kind, im trying. Im hoping she will be ok and that I'm doing alright. Thank you

Attachments​

• 20210815_123222_resized.jpg
    20210815_123222_resized.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2
Quote Reply

1629210600711.gif 1629210600800.gif 1629210600758.gif
That is how this species exhibits head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). Discontinue using carbon, or just use well rinsed pelleted carbon, but once it gets like this, it rarely reverses. There can also be a secondary bacterial infection that can make it worsen, but in my experience that is pretty rare.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not second guess salinity and all zeros seem a little unusual. Tap water may have been a contributor.
Are you by chance using API test kits?? What is LFS using for testing ?

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how this species exhibits head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). Discontinue using carbon, or just use well rinsed pelleted carbon, but once it gets like this, it rarely reverses. There can also be a secondary bacterial infection that can make it worsen, but in my experience that is pretty rare.
Jay
So do I just take the carbon bag out of the filter and leave it with the sponge and tiles? Would the ralley pro be helpful, someone suggested that but I'm afraid to use it, however it says reef safe and no copper. Also will this kill her or how do I help or will she just keep this look? Thanks

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not second guess salinity and all zeros seem a little unusual. Tap water may have been a contributor.
Are you by chance using API test kits?? What is LFS using for testing ?
Yes I have the API kit. The fish store uses the same. Im not sure if that is LFS. I meant the ammonia, nitrites are 0 range, pH is 7.8 to 8. They had me add CA for 5 days because it was 320 2 wks ago then 340 last week and after 5 days of Ca it was 520 Sunday. Then my nitrates always run 20 to 30 I had it about 10 a week ago on their test, but mine looks higher with my tester.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same issue with my coral beauty! I think it's HLLE like Jay said. I do use matrix carbon but rinse it very well. Too fast for me to get a picture but it looks the same around the eyes as yours. My Hippo tang had it also but it did clear up pretty good.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I have the API kit. The fish store uses the same. Im not sure if that is LFS. I meant the ammonia, nitrites are 0 range, pH is 7.8 to 8. They had me add CA for 5 days because it was 320 2 wks ago then 340 last week and after 5 days of Ca it was 520 Sunday. Then my nitrates always run 20 to 30 I had it about 10 a week ago on their test, but mine looks higher with my tester.
As suspected why quest came up. Water quality was a suspect cause and @Jay Hemdal is correct on carbon cause no matter how well it’s rinsed. API kits are notorious for false readings and have disappointed many reefers hence the low price of 21 .00 for a master kit.
Get an Opinion from A trusted source or store that does not use api kits and have them test the water and see what results they come up with.
LFS = local fish store

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the carbon issue because I have mine in a reactor and it started tumbling by accident. After that issue both my Hippo and coral beauty started showing signs of HLLE. Strange thing is that the Hippo healed but not the Coral did not.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I just take the carbon bag out of the filter and leave it with the sponge and tiles? Would the ralley pro be helpful, someone suggested that but I'm afraid to use it, however it says reef safe and no copper. Also will this kill her or how do I help or will she just keep this look? Thanks

No copper but does contain formalin... meh.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put anything in the tank. It's not ich. You may cause more problems if you start dumping stuff in there.

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suspected why quest came up. Water quality was a suspect cause and @Jay Hemdal is correct on carbon cause no matter how well it’s rinsed. API kits are notorious for false readings and have disappointed many reefers hence the low price of 21 .00 for a master kit.
Get an Opinion from A trusted source or store that does not use api kits and have them test the water and see what results they come up with.
LFS = local fish store
Ok so I should just take carbon out. Anything else I should do? There are only 2 LFS here are they all use API. Will this just run its course and she will have scars? Should I add anything for a bacterial or just keep carbon out? Thank you

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I just let it be after taking carbon out and she will heal over time?
I think just get water quality as good as can be and read a little about use off carbon and its possible effects if i was you.im new so dont really want give you advice what to do with tank.but keeping water good and reading up / researching something only good i think ^_^ good luck anyway

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so I should just take carbon out. Anything else I should do? There are only 2 LFS here are they all use API. Will this just run its course and she will have scars? Should I add anything for a bacterial or just keep carbon out? Thank you
Yes , take carbon out and refrain from medicate unless there is a condition to medicate. For eyes, as I mentioned earlier- you want to use Maracyn 1 (ethromyacin) or even ruby rally pro which will work but take a little longer

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Do you think I should do anything else besides removing carbon? Ralley pro or the maracyn 2 like the other person suggested? Will she get. Enter over time? Thank you

OP
OP
A

Amcompton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just get water quality as good as can be and read a little about use off carbon and its possible effects if i was you.im new so dont really want give you advice what to do with tank.but keeping water good and reading up / researching something only good i think ^_^ good luck anyway
Thank-you this is hard so many answers hard to know what to do and feel so stupid

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back