Coral Box QP-16 Review

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 years of faithful service one of my RW wave makers has stopped working :( I'd seen some posts here about the new Coral Box QP pumps so I decided it was a perfect excuse to upgrade!

Until now I had 4X Jebao RW-8 pumps in my 6x2x2 and they are a good pump, but I have wanted a little bit more flow for a while now. So since one of my RW-8s broke I decided to upgrade and get a Coral Box QP-16.

I live in a remote part of Australia and usually parcels take way too long to arrive, but as always shipping from Fish-street was fast and the pump was well packed.

Straight away I was impressed with the pump. It's way smaller than I expected (only just bigger than an RW-8) and the controller feels very well made.

After putting it in the tank I was even more impressed, it puts out an awesome amount of flow and is completely silent. I ended up doing a quick review video to go over the controller and show how much water this thing moves.

I'll definitely be changing my other RW pumps over to these new QP models as soon as I can! :)

Cheers,

Macca

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice that now they already have a new version called OW because I didn't like the look of the QP?

OP
OP
MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice that now they already have a new version called OW because I didn't like the look of the QP?
Yeah I did see them after I ordered the QP, but that's ok with me because I think the QP pump looks awesome anyway :). The largest OW pump is also not as powerful as it is only 13,500LPH and the controller also looks like the same ones used on the RW pumps - which is a good controller but the controller on the QP is heaps better.

On face value alone (as I haven't used the OW pumps) they look the same as the RW/PP/SW pumps just with a different housing so it can be rotated more. So I would still pick the QP pump over them. But I have no doubt that they will still be a good pump, I'm a big fan off all the Jebao and Coral Box stuff - good quality equipment for a fraction of the price!

OP
OP
MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah still going strong. I ended up getting a second one a couple of weeks later because I like them a lot.

Both are getting quite covered in coralline so I am going to have to clean them soon but even then they are still putting out great flow across the 6ft tank.

I only have 1 complaint so far with these wave makers and that is I can't find anywhere to buy an extension cable for them (the extension cable for the jebao pumps is just a tiny but too small) so I can have the controller further away. The stock cable isn't long enough to have the pump at one end of a 6' tank and the controller at the other end with the rest of my electrics which is a bummer.

Back