Coral Care gen 2 leds

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now that the fixtures have been available for a couple weeks, who has them?

Those that have had them, do you have any tips?

I'd also like to see how people are mounting these guys. They are very heavy ( compared to other fixtures I've had)

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So far I've only seen 3-4 people who have these new lights.
Seemed like alot of interest a few months ago, but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the fixtures have been available for a couple weeks, who has them?

Those that have had them, do you have any tips?

I'd also like to see how people are mounting these guys. They are very heavy ( compared to other fixtures I've had)
We've just had them for 5 days, so I can't say much other then that we've tested to run them without the controller. Without the controller, the light is on maximum PAR. Which is great for us, because we need as much PAR as we can get, and we can run them on GHL sockets with just an on/off function :)

U

User1

View Badges
So far I've only seen 3-4 people who have these new lights.
Seemed like alot of interest a few months ago, but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

The interest is there. Same crowd is probably also looking at ATI's solution with the Straton. Similar design, concept, with each having a unique approach to something to make them unique. I think both set the standard moving forward with their respected designs. Cost, well, I think is a sticker shock to many...

In the case of the coral care gen 2. With due respect to the video they produced I think BRS tv did these lights a disservice that may be a cause and effect (lack of interest). Meaning they said the light is best suited towards a mixed reef and also said that to get the "blue" look you dial down one bank of lights which raise a question of cost and par. Personally speaking there are more to successful tanks than PAR and color is subjective so both should have been removed from the video. Par != success :)

TL; DR - to get that blue look most US hobbyist prefer you dial down too many white lights thus reducing power (par) and making it not cost effective.

Note: no dog in the fight but I'm considering moving away from my 4 kessil a360x for these lights for two reasons. One I prefer the spectrum they offer at base and two I love the passive power and cooling. No bricks equals safer aquarium and house should a leak spring. I like the design.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The interest is there. Same crowd is probably also looking at ATI's solution with the Straton. Similar design, concept, with each having a unique approach to something to make them unique. I think both set the standard moving forward with their respected designs. Cost, well, I think is a sticker shock to many...

In the case of the coral care gen 2. With due respect to the video they produced I think BRS tv did these lights a disservice that may be a cause and effect (lack of interest). Meaning they said the light is best suited towards a mixed reef and also said that to get the "blue" look you dial down one bank of lights which raise a question of cost and par. Personally speaking there are more to successful tanks than PAR and color is subjective so both should have been removed from the video. Par != success :)

TL; DR - to get that blue look most US hobbyist prefer you dial down too many white lights thus reducing power (par) and making it not cost effective.

Note: no dog in the fight but I'm considering moving away from my 4 kessil a360x for these lights for two reasons. One I prefer the spectrum they offer at base and two I love the passive power and cooling. No bricks equals safer aquarium and house should a leak spring. I like the design.
When I first saw the promo for them, I thought that it was something I would like for my 6' softy tank.
I love the no fans idea and the 2 fixtures with no timers to mess with.
I was getting ready to put up 3 XR30 gen 4's, but when a little extra bonus money came my way, I jumped on 2 of these fixtures.
The 2 turn offs IMO are the price and then the weight.
Everybody says the weight is 15 lbs. but my package mailing scale says closer to 20 lbs with the cords.
Now 20 lbs ( x 2) doesn't seem much, but coming from 4.5 lbs Radions, it's alot.

U

User1

View Badges
When I first saw the promo for them, I thought that it was something I would like for my 6' softy tank.
I love the no fans idea and the 2 fixtures with no timers to mess with.
I was getting ready to put up 3 XR30 gen 4's, but when a little extra bonus money came my way, I jumped on 2 of these fixtures.
The 2 turn offs IMO are the price and then the weight.
Everybody says the weight is 15 lbs. but my package mailing scale says closer to 20 lbs with the cords.
Now 20 lbs ( x 2) doesn't seem much, but coming from 4.5 lbs Radions, it's alot.

No fans, passive cooling, no extra power supply or bricks are all great reasons one should consider the product.

I agree on the price. A bit cheaper than the ATI offering but it looks like similar products per watt are the same ball park sadly. Weight - they are heavy but lighter than the Gen 1 model :D I was looking at maybe incorporating an 80/20 frame somehow with a sliding rail. If not sliding then at least adjustable.

My tank is mostly soft with a few lps and sps mixed in. I was planning on 2 over my 210. We will see but that is the plan at least. I was also searching the web and it seems most videos or users are unboxing although more hits from Germany.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm still not seeing much interest in these lights.
So far after getting through a technical issue with the controller and figuring out the program, I'm happy with them.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can we see how they look hung? Also been looking at these lights for a while
I Have taken any pictures of the on.
Someone asked me how I mounted mine ( when I asked how others are doing it) and I took this pic.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back