Coral death: why can't I keep anything alive anymore?

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Waterbox 130. It has been up and running for about 4 years. For the past 18 months or so, I just can't can't keep really any coral alive. There are a few zoas that seem to be okay. Some mushrooms are doing fine too. But I am losing coral within about 10 days of putting them in my tank. I'm losing Duncan corals; candy canes; favias; etc. I just can't put my finger on it.

I ran an ICP test on my RO and my tank water itself and there are a few values that are out of whack (see below). Pollutants came back zeros across the board so I didn't bother to screen grab them. My RO water shows very high silicon (945.2) but my overall tank silicon is only slightly elevated.

Plenty of flow (MP40s), plenty of light (2x Hydra 52HD running at about 60%, 18 inches above the tank), protein skimmer (Deltec 600), and I use an Apex to keep the temperature at 77. I used to only have issues with fussy SPS (mainly acropora), but now nothing will survive. Would love some thoughts. I'm thinking it is maybe bacterial? Viral? Help me out here!

1659899491614.png

1659899517373.png

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say for certain, but it's a good place to start, as it definitely needs fixing.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What state was your tank in prior to 18 months ago? Regarding parameters and what coral were doing well. Are you loosing established hard corals from years ago or just new additions? Any changes at that time?

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom maybe Is the tank cloudy?
The tank is crystal clear. No bacterial bloom. No cyano or dinos.
What state was your tank in prior to 18 months ago? Regarding parameters and what coral were doing well. Are you loosing established hard corals from years ago or just new additions? Any changes at that time?
My tank was in really good shape. I had success with most hard corals (aside from acros...), mushrooms, zoas, everything. I had a single polyp of AOI zoas bloom into about 300+ and then they all just died over the past year or so. I have no idea what the change was. Maybe the nutrients are, in fact, too high? Maybe some of those trace elements (iodine) are too low?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ph?
Old tank syndrome maybe?
Using 0tds water?
Possible coral warfare...
what do you dose?
Whats your water change schedule look like? What things have you changed in this time frame?

Some people say worry about iodine some people don't you could give it a shot. Ive never seen a difference while dosing it but didn't dive very deep or dose it religiously.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few thoughts,

Ground probe for stray voltage.
When you loose coral are they going overnight or slowly
Do you dip or Qt
Have you checked for pests in the tank?
How do you acclimate them

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer some questions (sorry for the delay, work has been super busy):

It has been awhile since I've done a water change. I'm ashamed to admit that. I haven't been changing the water because I haven't been growing any coral or depleting any of the major or minor elements. Maybe I start there. Just do some huge water changes over the next few days?

Except for the high silicon, I'm using RO/DI water and I stay on top of changing those filters. Could the Silicon be from my ATO pump?

The corals die during the day and at night. I saw the flesh peel of a stylo in front of my eyes the other day. I see Acans shriveled up when the lights are on. It is so, so strange. I have some rockflower anemones that look very happy and I've kept my fish alive for several years, so I don't' think I have a stray voltage problem but I can always check that.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, water changes are not only intended to replenish trace, they're also intended to remove things that build up. And those "things" could be anything the tank is exposed to -- household cleaners, air fresheners, smoke, cooking oils, etc. I do not think ICP tests for every possible thing that could be dissolved in your tank water so having a "clean" ICP test only means your tank doesn't have the things tested.

Do a few large volume water changes (both to lower no3/po4 and dilute whatever else has built up), run some carbon, and maybe something like purigen and try another coral that you've had recent problems with.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Waterbox 130. It has been up and running for about 4 years. For the past 18 months or so, I just can't can't keep really any coral alive. There are a few zoas that seem to be okay. Some mushrooms are doing fine too. But I am losing coral within about 10 days of putting them in my tank. I'm losing Duncan corals; candy canes; favias; etc. I just can't put my finger on it.

I ran an ICP test on my RO and my tank water itself and there are a few values that are out of whack (see below). Pollutants came back zeros across the board so I didn't bother to screen grab them. My RO water shows very high silicon (945.2) but my overall tank silicon is only slightly elevated.

Plenty of flow (MP40s), plenty of light (2x Hydra 52HD running at about 60%, 18 inches above the tank), protein skimmer (Deltec 600), and I use an Apex to keep the temperature at 77. I used to only have issues with fussy SPS (mainly acropora), but now nothing will survive. Would love some thoughts. I'm thinking it is maybe bacterial? Viral? Help me out here!

1659899491614.png

1659899517373.png
Have you checked for voltage leakage? Using a multimeter on a/c volts, put the red probe to the water, and the black probe to the center screw on any outlet (Ground). If you are reading high voltage above millivolts, unplug equipment until you find it.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine and few other trace elements are low. Consider supplimentation of trace elements to get them up. Phosphates are also quite high. Would look at refugium possibly GFO to reduce. GO SLOW ON THE GFO if used. It will drop phosphates like crazy and has bottomed out plenty of people's tanks here and other forums. In addition, any fish or verts you notice picking on corals? Also use dim blue light at night to check for them. May have a fish or other pest killing your LPS.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, water changes are not only intended to replenish trace, they're also intended to remove things that build up. And those "things" could be anything the tank is exposed to -- household cleaners, air fresheners, smoke, cooking oils, etc. I do not think ICP tests for every possible thing that could be dissolved in your tank water so having a "clean" ICP test only means your tank doesn't have the things tested.

Do a few large volume water changes (both to lower no3/po4 and dilute whatever else has built up), run some carbon, and maybe something like purigen and try another coral that you've had recent problems with.
This is some good advise.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your nitrates are what is considered high, its not high enough to kill corals. Your phosphate definitely need attention, I also +1 to some water changes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back