Coral Dip Confusion

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reefers, I have recently been convinced by a couple of local reefers that I should try my hand at adding some "easy corals" to my 40 gallon FOWLR tank. I have been super careful so far with everything that makes it into my display tank. I have been following strict quarantine procedures for EVERYTHING. So I know that I need to dip my corals to remove possible hitchhikers and then quarantine them for 45 days. But I'm lost on what to dip the corals in. I thought I could use seachem coral Dip and everything would be just fine. Then I ended up in a last minute YouTube and reef forum rabbit hole and now I am so lost. There are so many options and procedures for dipping. And they are coral specific too!?

I am starting with a green star polyp, a few zoas, and a rhodactis mushroom. Can somebody please simplify what I need to do? I am heading to my LFS in a few hours so I can pick up what I need from there.

Thank you in advance!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer Bio-Advanced. Head to your hardware store instead.

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reefers, I have recently been convinced by a couple of local reefers that I should try my hand at adding some "easy corals" to my 40 gallon FOWLR tank. I have been super careful so far with everything that makes it into my display tank. I have been following strict quarantine procedures for EVERYTHING. So I know that I need to dip my corals to remove possible hitchhikers and then quarantine them for 45 days. But I'm lost on what to dip the corals in. I thought I could use seachem coral Dip and everything would be just fine. Then I ended up in a last minute YouTube and reef forum rabbit hole and now I am so lost. There are so many options and procedures for dipping. And they are coral specific too!?

I am starting with a green star polyp, a few zoas, and a rhodactis mushroom. Can somebody please simplify what I need to do? I am heading to my LFS in a few hours so I can pick up what I need from there.

Thank you in advance!
CoralX Dip has been great for me and has been used in the industry for years. It has removed 4 hitchhikers from corals I have received (even when the corals are from reputable companies). I don't use anything else!

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralX Dip has been great for me and has been used in the industry for years. It has removed 4 hitchhikers from corals I have received (even when the corals are from reputable companies). I don't use anything else!
CoralRX? I am a noob, but that is what I have used. 1 cap per 1000ml for 5 to 10 minutes has been my method. Nothing has died. Your mileage may vary.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem is more for when you frag the coral i.e cut a piece off it, the Seachem helps meant the coral.

I would either use Reef Primer or CoralRx just follow the amount on the bottle, you can reduce the amount you make, just reduce the volume of water and dip at the same ratio, as I find they always give instructions for a tank full of corals when you may only have a few.

Sounds scary but it’s not, just buy the dip of choice and follow the instructions on the bottle…buy a turkey baster if you haven’t got one for squirting the dip over the corals.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralRX is actually what I went with. So far so good! Thank you

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem is more for when you frag the coral i.e cut a piece off it, the Seachem helps meant the coral.

I would either use Reef Primer or CoralRx just follow the amount on the bottle, you can reduce the amount you make, just reduce the volume of water and dip at the same ratio, as I find they always give instructions for a tank full of corals when you may only have a few.

Sounds scary but it’s not, just buy the dip of choice and follow the instructions on the bottle…buy a turkey baster if you haven’t got one for squirting the dip over the corals.
CoralRX is what I went with. All of the corals are in QT right now and so far so good! Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when are you going to dip them? Before or after QT?

I would probably think dipping then putting in QT would be the better option.
That is what I did. I bought these corals in two batches. All corals were dipped in coralRX before going in and were all pulled out and dipped a second tim when I saw a hitch hiker on one of the corals.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove from Frag plug carefully. Usually you can pop it off with a butter knife at the base where the old glue is. A lot of times hitchikers are wedged on or between the old frag plugs. Use safety glasses and gloves when handling zoas/palys as they are toxic. Dip coral in your preferred dip for about 10 minutes (follow directions on dip). Rinse coral in separate tank water to remove dip. Glue onto your own Frag plug or rubble rock and place into your tank.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove from Frag plug carefully. Usually you can pop it off with a butter knife at the base where the old glue is. A lot of times hitchikers are wedged on or between the old frag plugs. Use safety glasses and gloves when handling zoas/palys as they are toxic. Dip coral in your preferred dip for about 10 minutes (follow directions on dip). Rinse coral in separate tank water to remove dip. Glue onto your own Frag plug or rubble rock and place into your tank.

That's a good video, thanks! I re-fragged one plug of zoas and I was terrified I was killing it the entire time. At this point, I think I am just going to leave the rest of the frag plugs in place, but when I buy more coral in the future, I'll refrag them.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good video, thanks! I re-fragged one plug of zoas and I was terrified I was killing it the entire time. At this point, I think I am just going to leave the rest of the frag plugs in place, but when I buy more coral in the future, I'll refrag them.

Happy to help! Zoas are tough because they're so tiny and flimsy! :) But you learn by doing!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use safety glasses and gloves when handling zoas/palys as they are toxic
While it is always good practice to use eye protection and gloves when handling/fragging coral, the vast majority of zoas and palys are NOT toxic (i.e. don't contain palytoxin).

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is always good practice to use eye protection and gloves when handling/fragging coral, the vast majority of zoas and palys are NOT toxic (i.e. don't contain palytoxin).

Curious as to where you are getting your information from??

Screenshot_20220908_215035.jpg

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not notice the word "CAN"?
That means that not all (or even most) do.

Of course I read and saw the word "can" along with other words such as "highly toxic" and "potentially lethal."

Again, I'm asking where are you getting your information from? Just curious as I like to have as much information as possible when forming conclusions.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back