Coral Dreams: What's your DREAM coral?

Do you own your DREAM CORAL?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 64 15.9%
  • NO

Votes: 326 80.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 3.2%

• Total voters

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's probably a blueberry gorgonian. Always loved them but i've heard that they're almost impossible to keep so i haven't tried.

1611061174138.png

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Xmas worm rocks and space invader pectinias. Also koji wada pink neptheas. I have multiples of my dream corals. The addiction is real.

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

A bright orange torch. Not sure if this pic is real but if they do exist ;Drool
1610985726785.png

It's not. I that as a photo from Extreme without a doubt. His photos are... unrealistic.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish a researcher in FL with legal permission to do so would send me a chip of endangered florida staghorn so I can grow it out in a pico

we could then use an armada of bowls to boost up mass greatly, I predict it will grow just fine in our confines.

we could in turn mail them more back than they sent.
I have researched that and visited a few institutions. The issue with that is, if you put it with anything other than things from Florida, it could introduce invasive species in the wild, also it will have to go through a long quarantine process before going back to the ocean. Institutions and universities are much better suited for it so they get the permits. But if there is one near you, you might be able to volunteer like I do.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.

I would bring it up solo as a colony based on that risk mentioned. I guess to be thorough it'd have to be a dry rock system brought up (dislike that option) so maybe if they'd send me a chunk of verified fl live rock for my base the pair would work. legit interference issue there nice one agreed. only feed introduced the whole time, their base rock a few pounds.

imagine the collection permits required for all that/long shot. Im certain that acro can be grown in ultra-simple setups though, wish we weren't having to miss out on all that mass.

maybe they could send some we just plain grow as is, and not ship back, and they benefit from seeing downscaled construction x thousands of picos as we trade the frags. if systems nobody would forecast could grow such a coral directly grow such a coral, we've learned something new about it.

my absolute fav coral of all time is the one I cannot have, its not the coloration ~

I feel strongly the environment as it presents in nature is playing a role in the decline and that by modeling out all the interference and just having our bubbling bowl, the right light and our feeding trick and lid interface + the highest quality coralline live rock avail, we could paint the walls in staghorn mass. as fast as larger setups costing twenty thousand dollars, but spread out among pico friends pumping feed in and out of the systems routinely/mass building cpr.

Last edited:

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love Acanthophyllia and would love to have a rare rainbow variety. Just too expensive! Haha

tank121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a 6 inch colony of Tyree Purple Monster Acro. I lost it and went into seclusion for 90 days while I medicated myself every day to try to erase it from my memory, all to no avail. M@ry Ruth was very sympathetic and understanding and tried to bring me around (and eventually succeded).

Now I have been unsuccessful if finding an authentic replacement at a reasonable price, not even from the people I sold frags to. That's what I want. You folks can have your Homewrecker but I want a PM!
Same here. Lost my PM colony and now can’t find it anywhere.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say that a true multi color rainbow chalice is a dream coral I have yet to acquire, though I am very close. Frags are coral seeds, as far as I am concerned. A frag becomes a dream coral, once it has grown into a colony, housed in a display tank.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Xmas worm rocks and space invader pectinias. Also koji wada pink neptheas. I have multiples of my dream corals. The addiction is real.

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

It's not. I that as a photo from Extreme without a doubt. His photos are... unrealistic.
Wow, I also have this beautiful addictive love for Xmas worm rocks.
Your collection is beautiful.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a rainbow trachy which was the most beautiful specimen I've seen, but when I moved I had to sell it along with the rest of my tank. But now that I've seen some of those incredible Wellsophyllia, I might have a new dream for my next tank:

Seeing these undulate with the motion in the tank is one of the most incredible things. Although I might also be tempted by some of the more incredible shrooms, eg:

1611090301015.png

Last edited:

BStoneking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

I love those frag mounts on the sides! If you dont mind sharing where did you buy them?

BStoneking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1611091121637.png

The coral that got me started and hooked in this hobby was a bright orange acanthophyllia like the one pictured.(not my photo) I've always dreamed of having one and finally pulled the plug last month. Its not one of the crazy $1000 ones that are insanely colored its just blue and purple but theres something about the way it eats and reacts to its environment that always keeps me staring!

Reeferram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week we talked about our dream fish and I thought why not keep dreaming to start this week in reefing! Some people dream of certain corals because they can't keep them alive in their tank whereas others may not be able to afford a certain type or piece of coral. Whatever it may be let's discuss your dream coral today!

1. Do you have a dream coral and if so what is it?

2. If you don't already own your dream coral what is stopping you from owning it now?

image via @lovemyreef
IMG_3994_zpsdcf4eec6.jpg
Space Invader pectinia is one of the first coral i ever truly had to have. I killed my first frag, now have a nice healthy piece that is thriving.
20200513_191125.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back