Coral Fantasy.... is it just a fantasy?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we all chasing an unrealistic coral fantasy through professional macro pics?

PbZYtEn_d.jpg

Bd63cwe_d.jpg

Very expensive DSLR camera rigs with very expensive Macro lens are presenting absolute stunning pics of coral tissues in vibrant colors and textured pigments.

Pics that you'll never see with you own eyes in your own tank. No.matter how much you spend on equipment and water quality.

I think these profesional pic's are making hobbyists feel inferior bc they can never achieve the stunning beauty of what an expensive camera rig can capture.

I mean.... its almost like your average (very impressionable) teenager girl trying to look like the young women in Glamour Magazine... then these young teenagers feel.all depressed bc they all cannot achieve the looks of an international model taken with very expensive cameras and professionally photo-edited....when they compare themselves in a makeup mirror

I think there are some common threads that can be drawn from those inferior-feeling teenagers to us ashamed hobbyists that think professionally macro photographed coral is the high standard we need to achieve

Are we all chasing a coral fantasy? Spending spending spending on everything from dosing to lights?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then you have the other end of the spectrum of people taking blurry hand held pics with a 10 year old cell phone (wait...that sounds like me!) ;)

So maybe both do not accurately represent the corals as would be perceived when viewing in the flesh, but my take is that as long as you enjoy your corals/aquarium that's what really matters :)

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby is for our own eyes, I think. While I agree with all your points - I prefer looking at my tanks more than any of the pictures online. I experiment in my own way and have results that are good and bad at times.
Coral can be pictured a lot better in commercial settings than as a centerpiece home 24-40" deep tank regardless of camera.
And with equipment, I feel I have spent much more for ease of use, and hands free control more so than new methods being better than past methods. To me, its worth it.
I really like your signature by the way, could not agree more :)

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that corals from glossy photos can disappoint a beginner in the future when he sees everything live. But my opinion is still that the photos should be beautiful. Photography has become an integral part of the maritime hobby. Photography develops our hobby by attracting people. People who are not their first year in a hobby, looking at edited photos, still know under which spectrum what colors of corals are

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at your corals through a magnifying glass jammed up against the glass then yes, these macro shots are useful and somewhat accurate representations of coral (not accounting for photoshop). However, if you look in your tank like most people you'll be a few feet back and won't see that teeny tiny speck of pink on one of the corallites that made that coral 10 x more expensive. This is why when choosing coral I choose based on growth pattern and the dominant colour because that's what I'm going to see.
I get really annoyed at Tidal Gardens videos because of the manic overuse of the macro lens. Can I please see the corals shape please,,from a distance?!?!?!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we all chasing an unrealistic coral fantasy through professional macro pics?

PbZYtEn_d.jpg

Bd63cwe_d.jpg

Very expensive DSLR camera rigs with very expensive Macro lens are presenting absolute stunning pics of coral tissues in vibrant colors and textured pigments.

Pics that you'll never see with you own eyes in your own tank. No.matter how much you spend on equipment and water quality.

I think these profesional pic's are making hobbyists feel inferior bc they can never achieve the stunning beauty of what an expensive camera rig can capture.

I mean.... its almost like your average (very impressionable) teenager girl trying to look like the young women in Glamour Magazine... then these young teenagers feel.all depressed bc they all cannot achieve the looks of an international model taken with very expensive cameras and professionally photo-edited....when they compare themselves in a makeup mirror

I think there are some common threads that can be drawn from those inferior-feeling teenagers to us ashamed hobbyists that think professionally macro photographed coral is the high standard we need to achieve

Are we all chasing a coral fantasy? Spending spending spending on everything from dosing to lights?

Thoughts?

Nope not chasing the Coral fantasy. I did buy a DLSR and Macro lens . I am taking photography classes and learning a lot. Still have a lot to learn.
IMG_0302.JPG

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

PbZYtEn_d.jpg

Bd63cwe_d.jpg

Thoughts?

No, when things are going well I’m very happy with how my coral looks and I don’t feel “inferior”. While I can’t always make it look as good as some of the “pros” or take as good of pictures I’m ok with that, cause I don’t do either for a living.
And I enjoy looking at the professional quality macro pics

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in a day and age where everything gets photoshopped. But nothing can match the the real life beauty of our saltwater aquariums!

Pics are 2 dimensional, but our aquariums bring the incredible beauty of Mother Nature & this world right into our everyday lives.

Last edited:

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any corals yet I'm still just growing Brown algie and cyanobacteria and coroline algie (I see the beauty in that but it's not what I want) but I know my tank is not likely to be beautiful for many years to come. So do I have a unrealistic expectations? I don't think so, does that disappoint me? yes because I see the photos and I know that no one but me will see that beauty in the details of my tank, do I have hope? yes,
it kinda reminds me of the first time I took my telescope out side and pointed it at Saturn and saw the rings and moons. I was like wow it's right there is not just a dot. But couldn't bring the telescope on it and to focus for anyone else to see more than a dot because it was focused for my eyes not wearing glasses and it keeps moving!

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever noticed the car commercials showing a Jeep (or whatever) rolling through the ocean shows a disclaimer at the end stating that riding through the beach voids your warranty? You're picking a fight against marketing gimmicks and that is a bigger beast than the coral trade :p

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s ok to take photos of coral and such just for fun, but trying to sell coral with these super HD pictures is wrong in my opinion.

The buyer think he is getting a super pretty coral, and it turns out nothing like the picture.
Sounds like shopping on Amazon without reading the reviews

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s ok to take photos of coral and such just for fun, but trying to sell coral with these super HD pictures is wrong in my opinion.

The buyer think he is getting a super pretty coral, and it turns out nothing like the picture.
I agree! Even WYSIWYG corals are photographed with professional HD lenses and lighting. I think each WYSIWYG coral for sale should also have a non professional photo with it just for a reality check. I love beautiful coral photography, but I want to know what I’m buying without all the special photography.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! Even WYSIWYG corals are photographed with professional HD lenses and lighting. I think each WYSIWYG coral for sale should also have a non professional photo with it just for a reality check. I love beautiful coral photography, but I want to know what I’m buying without all the special photography.
And A lot of photos are top down shots which regardless of camera, most corals look better from the top. I have little use for top down shots since I look at my tank from the side or slightly below.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, totally. Those expensive macro camera lenses with the orange filters make the coral seem better than what I would see with my OWN EYES. Some sellers on here have very color-accurate photos. But a couple of sellers have very inaccurate colors.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And A lot of photos are top down shots which regardless of camera, most corals look better from the top. I have little use for top down shots since I look at my tank from the side or slightly below.
YES! This annoys me a lot. It’s not like I’m going to be looking down at my torch or hammer or zoas every time I look at my tank.

Give me a picture from the side, where I’ll actually be seeing it!!

Back