Coral Farming in the USA & Carribean

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot closed threads on pricing got me to thinking.....I’ve always wondered why nobody has tried to raise corals here in the USA like the do in the coral triangle...
Wondering if we could copy the S.Pacific business model using NSW and concrete raceways....
If it’s feasible or already being done can anyone provide insight from a hobby/consumer POV, as mostly what I read is usually restoration/eco oriented stuff using brown Atlantic brains and stag horns.....any chance the more colorful Pacific stuff being is raised over here or is the EPA and invasive species issues in the way.
Also has anyone tried greenhouses and natural light? Any businesses operations for outdoor farming along the sunbelt coast?
Given the prices of corals I’m doing some quick maths and wondering if it’s cost feasible in Fl at least.... @WWC or any other sunbelt biz any thoughts on outdoor rearing?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot closed threads on pricing got me to thinking.....I’ve always wondered why nobody has tried to raise corals here in the USA like the do in the coral triangle...
Wondering if we could copy the S.Pacific business model using NSW and concrete raceways....
If it’s feasible or already being done can anyone provide insight from a hobby/consumer POV, as mostly what I read is usually restoration/eco oriented stuff using brown Atlantic brains and stag horns.....any chance the more colorful Pacific stuff being is raised over here or is the EPA and invasive species issues in the way.
Also has anyone tried greenhouses and natural light? Any businesses operations for outdoor farming along the sunbelt coast?
Given the prices of corals I’m doing some quick maths and wondering if it’s cost feasible in Fl at least.... @WWC or any other sunbelt biz any thoughts on outdoor rearing?

All Caribbean/atantic stony corals are highly protected, there are a few greenhouse operations like ORA and tidal gardens, Pacific east aquaculture uses some sunlight as well I believe.

Mariculture of Atlantic coral for ornamental trade of would pretty much be limited to gorgonians and maybe Ricordia florida, live rock culture

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive species act would stop this in the States. This has already gotten out of hand with freshwater fish in Florida where many tropical species have gotten into the natural waterways of Florida causing issues with the natural fish population.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive species act would stop this in the States. This has already gotten out of hand with freshwater fish in Florida where many tropical species have gotten into the natural waterways of Florida causing issues with the natural fish population.

Tubastera is already a indo - pacific invasive coral species down here in Florida

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Caribbean/atantic stony corals are highly protected, there are a few greenhouse operations like ORA and tidal gardens, Pacific east aquaculture uses some sunlight as well I believe.

Mariculture of Atlantic coral for ornamental trade of would pretty much be limited to gorgonians and maybe Ricordia florida, live rock culture
Yeah I was going to do a Atlantic/Caribbean tank until a lil research did not turn up anything other than brown/yellow corals...always wondered why that is

I've been surprised why only lionfish have shown up ... Clowns will probably be next on the list

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there are other pacific fish that have Been seen in but lion fish have been the most devastating effect to Atlantic fish.
Atlantic corals have been protected since the early 80’s

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back