Coral Farms and Peppermint Shrimp

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the rare moments I agree with @jda .. just kidding . I like to give him hard time sometimes :)

But Doug is absolutely spot on . In all my dealings with peppermint shrimps , the ones I get from reeftopia are absolutely voracious aiptasia eaters and leave corals alone . Interestingly I didn’t have much luck with others procured from Florida . And their prices and shipping are too notch !

I think Reeftopia is one of the best kept secrets for invertebrates and their fish prices are awesome too !!!
I got mine from RUSalty! Great price and size! Other things ordered from there have been very healthy and no bad hitchikers. Shrimp took care of my aptasia and cleans the starfish. don't bother the corals!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mixed results. My first couple of peppermints from one LFS munched on some of my corals.

went to another LFS who basically confirms they eat aiptasia and don’t touch coral before I buy them. He puts coral frags in a small tank with them for a couple of weeks and tests them out for me. So far the 2 I’ve purchased from him have been great! I think if you get TRUE peppermints (since there are other look alike shrimps) then they should be fine. They are really the only effective way to keep aiptasia down in my tank.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some sinking shrimp pellets from Petco for my freshwater shrimp breeding tank. Saw the peppermint and fire shrimps stealing food and figured why not so now the shrimps get 2-3 each and they haven’t touched a single coral since. Seems Iike a good system to me

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back