Coral & Fish Shortages? What should we try to stock up on?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Salted Tank, May 15, 2019.

1. Salted Tank

Salted Tank Active Member

As coral & fish collection starts to be banned throughout the world... what coral and fish will we start to see shortages of? Any hot coral/fish you are seeing prices rise on locally? Anything we should try to grab now before things start to become hard to acquire? I would love to hear your thoughts.

2. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I think 'hoarding' living creatures is problematic at best LOL. The hobby is mostly sustainable where corals are concerned, even other inverts in degrees. Fish are more problematic, though even there captive raised/bred programs offer expanding inventories. I'm mostly in favor of (hopefully sensible) collection bans or limits. What worries me more is if wild collecting bans are extended to prohibiting the trade of even aquacultured or hobby-traded animals. That would be a big problem for our hobby.

3. WMR

WMR Active Member

I agree with you 8,000,000% The industry’s problem is we’re dealing with countries that don’t understand sustainability for the most part. People from Indonesia, Philippines, Vanuatu, PNG, etc. Plus, government officials & wildlife officials need their money. They don’t know or really care about sustainability until their paychecks get smaller, sad.

4. sghera64

sghera64 Well-Known Member

Prohibiting trade (aquaculture) is a magnificent and insidious way to *guarantee* the pilfering of specimens illegally from the wild. Just ask the rangers that work the African national preserves.

Matt Carden likes this.
  5. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

With regards to coral this hobby is self sustaining. We probably throw more coral away every year by trimmings alone. However, we are at a crossroads today with various chop shops re-branding corals and reselling at ridiculous prices. Nothing wrong with that per say but it probably won't help the hobbyists if the laws are written vaguely such that it hints to, and enforces, hobby level transactions.

With fish - again it is somewhat self sustaining but with a lot of restrictions on what we can readily farm. So as hobbyist our selections will be drastically reduced and prices will increase one or two orders of magnitude if not more.

6. Salted Tank

Not really looking to "Hoard" anything. More so I'm looking for advice on what coral/fish i should be looking at now before they become hard to acquire. I hope that makes sense.

7. Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly Member R2R Supporter

Absolutely makes sense. Now fly to Vegas today and put money down on the 2021 Super Bowl winner. You can take all you know, have heard and think might happen and your odds of being right are probably within the same range. ;)

Matt Carden likes this.
  8. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

9. Fiesty

Fiesty Member

Nice clams seem hard to get now compared to years ago. Even though more being farmed now, its seems a shortage may last awhile?

10. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Seen less euphyllia lately.

Globalbutterfly likes this.
  11. jordan9095

jordan9095 Active Member

rare euphyllia is fetching a hefty price these days & seems to always sell. was a lot less even a year ago. i've been collecting some :)

12. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

As opposed to collecting/hunting something to wild extinction LOL.

13. ca1ore

Haha, yes, understood. My point, poorly made perhaps, was that animals have a limited life so stocking up hardly assures you’ll always have one. I’d not bother with corals as I expect there will always be availability even if prices are somewhat absurd. Most fish will be available for a while, though perhaps more limited from places like Hawaii.

Salted Tank likes this.
  14. Salted Tank

Thanks for the kind responses all. I guess I wont worry too much about sky rocketing coral prices and just enjoy my ride! :) Cheers!

15. tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer Well-Known Member

Hoarding?? Lol better get a massive swimming pool tank built otherwise you are not hoarding anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted