CORAL GLUE: What do you want out of coral glue?

How do you like your coral glue?

• Thick

Votes: 371 86.7%
  • Somewhere between thck and thin..

Votes: 54 12.6%
  • Thin

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love a glue that is so thick that when you squeeze it out it stays in a nice “gob” ready to attach the frag. But I wondering about what you guys like so let's talk about it!

What do you want out of coral glue?

I just picked up a bottle of this glue from our new sponsor @Glue Masters to give it a shot! I will report back!

1609206914074.png

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - I prefer a thick coral glue that bonds quickly. My preferred glue is Ecotech’s coral glue. My turbo snails and urchin can’t bulldoze frags off the rocks.

Last edited:

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! A thick glue is perfect, which is why I prefer Gorilla Super Glue Gel (green cap). I substituted for the regular kind once and only once, it ran all over the plug and onto my hands which was a big mess. The gel stays in a neat little hill that I can spread around like jelly for zoas or sink a nice little SPS frag into. Quick dry time is also important, but it needs to be wet for at least a minute so I can fish all the frags out of my little holding container

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thick but also cost $1.50 or less. I was actually shocked to see I'm on my last tube of super glue. The dollar trees in Canada don't sell those packs of super glue like they do in the US.

Also this appears to have posted early! 2 questions in 1 day? lol

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Lemme get this straight, you can use regular super glue, with all those chemicals, with no sour effects?! I haven't glue anything down since this was a beginners tank. Mind blown, now i know when i get settled in a few months and set up the new tank.

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love a glue that is so thick that when you squeeze it out it stays in a nice “gob” ready to attach the frag. But I wondering about what you guys like so let's talk about it!

1609206914074.png
I agree- I prefer a thicker glue because I feel it helps with more support as well as easier to use. I use BRS Thick Super Glue.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Lemme get this straight, you can use regular super glue, with all those chemicals, with no sour effects?! I haven't glue anything down since this was a beginners tank. Mind blown, now i know when i get settled in a few months and set up the new tank.

No you use glue that just contains cyanoacrylate.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the dollar store super glue gel a no go?

Dollar store glue is a go. I think some of the more expensive super glues may add things to them but anything that is labeled as cyanoacrylate gel should be safe. I have used various dollar store brands. The best bang for your buck is the dollar tree one.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dollar store glue is a go. I think some of the more expensive super glues may add things to them but anything that is labeled as cyanoacrylate gel should be safe. I have used various dollar store brands. The best bang for your buck is the dollar tree one.
is tehre a name or pic of the bottle ?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree that the thicker, the better. A couple of things that I have noticed that help are:

1. Scrape the rock that you are attaching to pretty well to remove any coraline or other algae. Seems to really improve long term adhesion.

2. Even though the glue will bond well within 30 seconds or so, I will hold the coral in place for a couple of minutes to ensure whatever glue is accessible to curious fish sets up enough so that no one gets a mouth full of glue. Voice of experience.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want a good glue that sticks 100%, so that nothing can knock it over, not even if i push it around a little bit. My zoa frag keeps falling off the rock its on XD I never used to have problems with it falling over, it was thriving, always open, but then it started falling over every morning when I woke up. Its right by the crabs lair, and I think it annoyed him to have it so close so he would knock it over every night XD he rarely moves, until today!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid CA as much as possible and stick to the 2 part epoxy. Acroporas grow over it much quicker for some reason (for me at least) and it has a much better bond. Take the frag off the plug, put a glob of epoxy at the base, and stuff it in a crevice/hole in the aquascape.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! A thick glue is perfect, which is why I prefer Gorilla Super Glue Gel (green cap). I substituted for the regular kind once and only once, it ran all over the plug and onto my hands which was a big mess. The gel stays in a neat little hill that I can spread around like jelly for zoas or sink a nice little SPS frag into. Quick dry time is also important, but it needs to be wet for at least a minute so I can fish all the frags out of my little holding container
I have the Gorilla Super glue with blue cap and find frags don’t stick to well? Not sure why . Dollar store glue spears to stick better.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyplab has the best glue IMO. Thick and cures super fast, no effect on skimmer in my experience, comes in small tubes that will glue about 5-10 frags for me. I’ve used the ecotech glue and it worked but not nearly as well. The individual tubes of the polyplab is really a huge bonus, how many times do you mess with an old bottle?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back