Coral growing on underside of frag disk

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leptastrea frag that has grown to the underside of frag disk all the way around. I guess from only making contact with the rock it was on from the bottom of frag. If I let the sides touch the rock will it grow onto it or do I need to cut it back so new growth will grow out onto the rock?

SCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leptastrea frag that has grown to the underside of frag disk all the way around. I guess from only making contact with the rock it was on from the bottom of frag. If I let the sides touch the rock will it grow onto it or do I need to cut it back so new growth will grow out onto the rock?
I've found with any of the sprawling coral if I just glue it down well eventually it does spread to the rock - in the direction of the light. I wouldn't cut/risk damaging and causing possible infection, but that's just me. I don't have good experiences trimming or fragging anything other than the indestructible. lol (xenia, kenya & gsp!)

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it go. Over time, as it grows, it will encrust under the frag then back out onto the rock. Then, as it continues to spread and get bigger, it will also start grow its skeleton beneath the flesh. Unless the gaps between the plug disc and the rock beneath are really bit, the skeleton should eventually fill in the gaps around the plug.

Of course this will take quite some time. So, if you're impatient you'll need to reposition so more of the coral and plug are in contact with rock ... or you could remove some of the coral and glue directly onto the rock. But, if it's already encrusting most of the top and bottom of the disc, you'll be throwing away a lot of the growth you've already got.

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it go. Over time, as it grows, it will encrust under the frag then back out onto the rock. Then, as it continues to spread and get bigger, it will also start grow its skeleton beneath the flesh. Unless the gaps between the plug disc and the rock beneath are really bit, the skeleton should eventually fill in the gaps around the plug.

Of course this will take quite some time. So, if you're impatient you'll need to reposition so more of the coral and plug are in contact with rock ... or you could remove some of the coral and glue directly onto the rock. But, if it's already encrusting most of the top and bottom of the disc, you'll be throwing away a lot of the growth you've already got.
Ok cool. Thanks. Where it was sitting it was only making contact with the bottom of the frag so I moved it a little to make more contact. Now we wait lol

Back