Coral Growth Take Off Time Period

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that when you establish a stable reef environment with everything within limits (lighting, flow, temp, salinity, alk, cal, mag, etc etc etc), coral growth is very slow up to a point when the corals or some of the corals have fully adjusted and acclimated and at this point growth takes off as they say. So I was wondering, approximately how long was the period for you from the time you established a stable environment to when the growth of your corals or some of your corals took off.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should happen relatively quickly. I like to say that if a coral isn't growing its likely dying. The key isn't just getting to a good point but maintaining a constant and excellent water quality.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that when you establish a stable reef environment with everything within limits (lighting, flow, temp, salinity, alk, cal, mag, etc etc etc), coral growth is very slow up to a point when the corals or some of the corals have fully adjusted and acclimated and at this point growth takes off as they say. So I was wondering, approximately how long was the period for you from the time you established a stable environment to when the growth of your corals or some of your corals took off.
It's a constant state of fluctuations.

If coral just kept growing they take over your living room, Then front yard, then your neighbors house, then the whole street. Lololololololololol

Expect lots of fluctuations with growth, recession and sometimes dying and sometimes regeneration

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is a thing. Maybe sometimes. I plopped some new zoa frags (bout 5 or 6 polyps) in one of my tanks last month and they all grew 1 or 2 polyps that week and then slowed again and now they are going crazy again. Hammer coral frag pirfhased ag the same time has gotten more and more fat every day and very noticeably so. I added some more sps today and polyps were fully extended in minutes... I think these little ecosystems are to complex to be simplified to a breakout in growth. Too many factors.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these little ecosystems are to complex to be simplified to a breakout in growth. Too many factors.

I agree. After keeping a small system with many of the original corals going for 13 years, I've noticed a definite flow and ebb in regards to coral growth.

The thing is one can get a tank dialed in (lighting, flow, nutrients, etc.) and consequently see great coral growth, but keeping those optimal conditions stable so as to have that level of growth continue for a longer period of time is a real challenge (especially in a smaller mixed-reef aquarium). Besides our own mistakes and miscalculations, equipment issues, etc., the corals themselves can also destabilize a system when they fight (a flood of chemical substances and sequestered nutrients released back into the water column) or when they grow and change or block the flow or light (negatively effects coral growth). Disruptions of many types can temporarily alter the microbial community which can then result in less than favorable macro organism growth conditions.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank already growing, a few weeks and new coral will take off as well. Agreed all tanks have slow and fast, but it should be all grow all the time if your set up right.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back