Coral growth with yeast

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading an old thread on coral growth and was wow’d by yeast broadcasting. Anyone else doing this ? Any negative effects ? What are the necessities of doing this Or does one just broadcast feed yeast?!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this link will help.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting ….

so yeast .. quick rising bread yeast or brewing yeast ?
What’s the benefit of it ?
How much to dose ?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirk Peterson at Rotterdam was one of the people I knew that was using yeast, and getting pretty dramatic growth rates. He sent his recipe, but I never tried it, as he said you need a shaker plate to keep the food in constant suspension, and they're really expensive. Magnetic stirrers will just burn up from continuous use. I have never heard of anyone just broadcasting yeast into their tanks, lol.

edit: this recipe was for thousands of gallons of water, and was a pretty small amount of yeast, from what I remember.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found his recipe, as follows:

7 g yeast, 56 g sugar, 1.4 L water. Add sugar to water and mix gently, then add yeast and mix gently. Mix on plate shaker (anything used for bacteria cultures) for 24-72 hrs @ 25 degrees Celsius. Sufficient for 100k L seawater.

This was for the Rotterdam aquarium, as he had a lot of Acorpora recruits he was feeding. His coral food study still shows naups at higher concentrations yield the best coral growth, by a lot, over any other foods.

Back