Coral hates blue light

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a goniopora frag that despises my blue light, I have had it for almost two weeks and it has not fully extended. Everyday it keeps looking more and more better and longer. Most so far is about maybe an inch. I found that it does the best with half white and half blue. However, when its sundown, the light turns blue and it closes immediately. Light is of low intensity meant for lps and softies. (about 100 par max) I have it placed in the middle and it looks the most happy there out of the other things i tried. Any reasons for the slow extension? And the closing when there is blue light? I really want the blue to be on because it makes my rastas pop.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture? Where is it located in your tank? The blue light might be an indicator for it to go to sleep. All my gonis exhibit similar behavior when when the lights start to dim. I'll post a picture later this even to see if it matches what you are seeing. If you want them to come out more under the blue light, you'll probably need to acclimate them with a higher intensity of blue during your highlight hours.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture? Where is it located in your tank? The blue light might be an indicator for it to go to sleep. All my gonis exhibit similar behavior when when the lights start to dim. I'll post a picture later this even to see if it matches what you are seeing. If you want them to come out more under the blue light, you'll probably need to acclimate them with a higher intensity of blue during your highlight hours.

Ill get a picture in a second but once the blue light turns off, they begin to open a little bit (about 1/4) even if its pitch black.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank lights turned off a few minutes ago and its starting to open again.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.45.29 PM.png

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni's are fickle little corals... you could try spot feeding aminos to entice them to come out.

I've been feeding reef roids almost ever since I got him, hes slowly extending more and more. The guy who gave it to me said he's seen it at 3 inches before but its been almost two weeks and its barely an inch or a bit less.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas to make him extend? How should I have my flow? I have an output from my filter and a power head on opposite sides of the tank.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple of pictures of the Goni’s at the blue light time...
FDB14567-B037-4C42-9AEF-489B2AEE682A.jpeg
677118B6-4C8E-4354-AC4C-40B64079C309.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple of pictures of the Goni’s at the blue light time...
FDB14567-B037-4C42-9AEF-489B2AEE682A.jpeg
677118B6-4C8E-4354-AC4C-40B64079C309.jpeg
i experience the same behavior with mine. I've started feeding benepets and oysterfeast to my tank. I noticed my goni stayed retracted the next day. It's normally around 3-4" long. Mine likes the sand bed, lower light (in my sps dominant reef so decent light) and medium - low flow.

OP, yours could just be adjusting to your tank but keep an eye on that encrusting edge, make sure it doesn't start to recede.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i experience the same behavior with mine. I've started feeding benepets and oysterfeast to my tank. I noticed my goni stayed retracted the next day. It's normally around 3-4" long. Mine likes the sand bed, lower light (in my sps dominant reef so decent light) and medium - low flow.

OP, yours could just be adjusting to your tank but keep an eye on that encrusting edge, make sure it doesn't start to recede.
Thanks will do, I already started taking pictures of it for future reference. Any ideas to speed up the process?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sheltered mine a cove where the light and flow are the mellowist. Gently sway motion most of the day and it gets great polyp extension. I've had it about a year and its doubled in size in that time.
20200916_175209.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are allot of different gonis and one is not like the rest. Some are encrusting, branching, mounding, long polyps, short polyps, large polyps, small polyps etc.

In some cases just looking at the goni can tell you what it likes. Shorter polyps most likely higher flow.. Longer polyps most likely prefer less current because they can take a beating as much.

If the polyps are not coming out it may be due to to much light or to much flow. A coral that is getting to much light may make its self smaller so it collects less lights or vise verso spread itself out to capture more light.

Also if the current is to much and it will take a beating it may stay closed up..

It could be just adjusting to current conditions. Gonis are one of the more touchy corals I have owned.. I could just stick my hand in the water and some would close up..

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are allot of different gonis and one is not like the rest. Some are encrusting, branching, mounding, long polyps, short polyps, large polyps, small polyps etc.

In some cases just looking at the goni can tell you what it likes. Shorter polyps most likely higher flow.. Longer polyps most likely prefer less current because they can take a beating as much.

If the polyps are not coming out it may be due to to much light or to much flow. A coral that is getting to much light may make its self smaller so it collects less lights or vise verso spread itself out to capture more light.

Also if the current is to much and it will take a beating it may stay closed up..

It could be just adjusting to current conditions. Gonis are one of the more touchy corals I have owned.. I could just stick my hand in the water and some would close up..

So is mine encrusting? I thought they only mounded up. I know mine has long polyps though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back