Coral Health

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

New guy here. I joined R2R a few days ago and I'm really impressed. Lot's of great info.
I am somewhat new to the hobby and wondered what are the most important things you do to have thriving corals? Water, Light, frequent water changes? No water changes?

Just trying to get an idea of what is being done.

Thanks!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I'm happy to see a new hobbyist.
I think one of the most important things for corals is stability. In the ocean, there isn't some huge god hand dosing 2-part and doing water changes! The ocean is stable, and fluctuations are rare and slow, and that is what to strive for in a reef tank. I trust you'll find success with stability, but also make sure your parameters are are good in the first place, that way your corals won't be stuck in low alk or cal.
Good luck, God bless and happy reefing!

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from what has already been mentioned, I believe the biggest stumbling block people hit is putting too much emphasis on the importance of what kind of lighting you have instead of how important FLOW is. And never forget, nothing good happens quickly in a reef keeping your hands out/off is a lion's share of the challenge many times. Lastly, never neglect your water testing. Oh ok one more, water changes are paramount for the first year or so because they make up for the stuff you're bound to screw up and for the things you're bound to miss along the way ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back