Coral Help

sammyanne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking over my husbands tank this morning prior to the lights coming on I noticed his new Duncan has a “slit” in the base that almost looks like it’s breathing. After some searching through posts and google I can’t seem to find what this might be.
Anyone have any ideas on what this might be? Good? Bad? Paranoia? Lol.

58C121CD-88E0-49F7-ABC5-4B45409589BC.jpeg

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell exactly by the picture but it appears to be a little bit of damage to the flesh. Under normal conditions, it should heal up just fine but if it starts getting worse you can give it a nice bath in iodine.

OP
OP
sammyanne

sammyanne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell exactly by the picture but it appears to be a little bit of damage to the flesh. Under normal conditions, it should heal up just fine but if it starts getting worse you can give it a nice bath in iodine.
Thank you so much! It is very new (like 2 day in our tank). I did dip it in seachem reed dip prior to putting it in the tank. It is my understanding that Reef dip does contain iodine. Would this be sufficient if after awhile it doesn’t seem to get better? Or should I get a different iodine product?

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing it could be is a barnacle living there. Do you ever see a feather-like animal filter feeding out of that hole?

OP
OP
sammyanne

sammyanne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing it could be is a barnacle living there. Do you ever see a feather-like animal filter feeding out of that hole?
I haven’t seen anything come out of the hole.. however.. it does move. Moving in a sense that it almost looks like it’s breathing. I originally thought maybe it was moving with the flow which was causing it to look like it was moving, but after watching closer I can’t say for sure if that is the case.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen anything come out of the hole.. however.. it does move. Moving in a sense that it almost looks like it’s breathing. I originally thought maybe it was moving with the flow which was causing it to look like it was moving, but after watching closer I can’t say for sure if that is the case.
If it is something living in there I would try to remove it. Once done give it a bath in iodine to limit any infections. We use over-the-counter povidone-iodine and mix it till it's a faint yellow/brown and 5-10 min.

Back