Coral hitchhiker!?

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Kenya trees on live rock a few months back and as time has passed this little green anenomie looking hitchhiker has grown,
I hope it's a good guy would really appreciate if anybody could I.D it

16222852372841311339924888316650.jpg 16222852579163277869748523822261.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Majano anemone
majano7.jpg

Bad Hitchhiker. This is another pest anemone that multiplies quickly and stings anything near it. Best removed by manual scraping off and super glue/epoxy/kalk past over its spot. Peppermint shrimp will reportedly consume them as well.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Majano anemone
majano7.jpg

Bad Hitchhiker. This is another pest anemone that multiplies quickly and stings anything near it. Best removed by manual scraping off and super glue/epoxy/kalk past over its spot. Peppermint shrimp will reportedly consume them as well.
But it looks so pretty lol

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Majano anemone
majano7.jpg

Out of curiosity - What makes this a pest? It’s quick reproduction rate? It’s stinging nature goes with anemone nature. So I could see that being a problem if you are keeping anemones out of your tank period.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity - What makes this a pest? It’s quick reproduction rate? It’s stinging nature goes with anemone nature. So I could see that being a problem if you are keeping anemones out of your tank period.
They out compete and sting everything else to take rock space. Couple that with quick reproduction and they can take over a tank in short time. Most people don’t want them cause of that. Same with Aiptasia.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
multiplies quickly and stings anything near it
What this means in real terms is new ones of these quickly appear among your coral and then sting them until the coral recede or die.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They out compete and sting everything else to take rock space. Couple that with quick reproduction and they can take over a tank i short time. Most people don’t want them cause of that. Same with Aiptasia.
Thank you!

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
multiplies quickly and stings anything near it
What this means in real terms is new ones of these quickly appear among your coral and then sting them until the coral recede or die.
Ok! So not so much that fish could be stung (Which is also important), but it hurts coral as well. Thank you!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct they typically don’t bother fish or inverts but they become unsightly when they multiply. Not sure what happens if a clown try to use them for a host or if they will try to use them as a host.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct they typically don’t bother fish or inverts but they become unsightly when they multiply. Not sure what happens if a clown try to use them for a host or if they will try to use them as a host.
Thanks so much for clarifying! I worked with wildlife for 10 years and happy Natural habitats are important to me. As well as finding natural forms of enrichment. So I’m super curious as to when something is classified as a pest. I know there are good reasons, I just love absorbing as much info as I can.

Camd4k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been known to keep a pest or 3. They look so tiny and harmless when you find them and then
BOOM
IMG_3579-M.jpg
That stone crab hit really personal right there. Found a cute tiny baby one and brought home to my childhood aquarium I was in charge of and he TOOK OVER and murdered everything then a rock fell on his dingus self and he died I stopped having tanks for a while after that lol.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's worth noting that not all majano anemones are pests. Some of them are, due to the aforementioned fast multiplication and stinging of corals, but some multiply relatively slowly. Those ones still sting, but two or three anemones the size of a quarter don't pose much threat to corals, as long as you don't set any corals directly on top of them. My LFS has some majanos on a rock they've had for years, and there's now about half a dozen of 'em instead of two.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back