Coral ID-- acan, favia or none of the above

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a favia, the mayan sun variety.
Lobo is easily ruled out because they'll usually have a "spikier" structure below the flesh than a favia would(they also do not come in this coloration in the 10 yrs of wholesale exp I've had)
Acan maxima are generally never this small either but leaving that behind, also do not come in this pattern
Pattern is what was throwing me off as well. It just seems too fleshy for favia, but the pattern is correct. You could be 100% right here. Was just hard to tell from pictures. But a single thriving head of favia would be correct, would love to see the growth after 6 months. I'll agree with you on this one!!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of favia/goniastrea will extend quite a bit under the correct parameters. If very "happy" they can get pretty huge. Not so much favites though

I have never seen Favia anywhere near 1.5" per polyp. 1/2" is more typical of what I see. But I don't deal in high-end stuff. I'll be curious to see how it grows.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen Favia anywhere near 1.5" per polyp. 1/2" is more typical of what I see. But I don't deal in high-end stuff. I'll be curious to see how it grows.

Didn't want to stick a metal ruler in there but the big one is about 1.5 inches

20210102_180734.jpg

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a high-end item quality but if you look at, for example, WWC's farm pics you can see some huge favias in there. TSA had some too in some videos from a while back and I think even Reef Lounge had some as well.
IMO its a feeding, light and balanced nutrient thing(not common by any means as its super hard to achieve) but sometimes the ones I have in my personal tank also look extra happy

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a high-end item quality but if you look at, for example, WWC's farm pics you can see some huge favias in there. TSA had some too in some videos from a while back and I think even Reef Lounge had some as well.
IMO its a feeding, light and balanced nutrient thing(not common by any means as its super hard to achieve) but sometimes the ones I have in my personal tank also look extra happy

I can confirm, I used to have a goniastrea that had a very similar growth pattern to OP's coral - just a single, huge head that constantly begged for food. I think it might have been down to how it had been positioned on its frag plug - it didn't really have anything to 'anchor' itself onto for extra heads, so it just kept extending its single head.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a favia. I have one with four heads and the heads have been only growing bigger in the few years I have had it. Very large polyps. Easily 1" or more when fleshy.

Bowerbanki is a possibility except the skeleton did not look right. Goneastrea would also be a good guess based on the structure of the skeleton.

These are just my thoughts from my experience. I am no expert in this stuff. I can tell it is a fleshy LPS and needs lower flow and lower light. :)

DSC_9893.JPG

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm, I used to have a goniastrea that had a very similar growth pattern to OP's coral - just a single, huge head that constantly begged for food. I think it might have been down to how it had been positioned on its frag plug - it didn't really have anything to 'anchor' itself onto for extra heads, so it just kept extending its single head.
I wondered about the mounting as well. It might be higher off of the plug than what is usually done. If this is the case, should I remove it from the plug? It seems happy, so I hate to mess with it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bowerbanki. The size is right
As much as I want this to be a acan bowerbanki (cuz you know, they are a lot more valuable ), I'm pretty sure mine are just the common $20/head dragon soul favias lol

The tentacles do not "flare out" like acans

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post this picture again of the mystery frag when the tank lights were off. The lighting was only that from the ceiling light. As soon as I turned on the tank
20210224_065548.jpg
20210224_065919.jpg
lights to take a picture, it started closing. I didn't know if this information would be helpful to anyone. Thanks for all the input. At least I am in the same boat of inability to 100% identify it. It was cheap and looked really cool, so I bought it.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post this picture again of the mystery frag when the tank lights were off. The lighting was only that from the ceiling light. As soon as I turned on the tank
20210224_065548.jpg
20210224_065919.jpg
lights to take a picture, it started closing. I didn't know if this information would be helpful to anyone. Thanks for all the input. At least I am in the same boat of inability to 100% identify it. It was cheap and looked really cool, so I bought it.
I'm not large into brain corals of any sort, but that looks like a feeding display that one would show off. This coral is very unique, idk what it is. Its almost as if it's a combo of corals put in one lol.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210224_065548.jpg
20210224_065919.jpg
not sure about others but that kind of feeding tentacle expansion is very similar to acans. based on size probably another vote for acan bowerbanki.

OP
OP
FishNerd4Ever

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not large into brain corals of any sort, but that looks like a feeding display that one would show off. This coral is very unique, idk what it is. Its almost as if it's a combo of corals put in one lol.
I totally agree. It has me stumped! I guess what I like about it is that it does have features of several different corals. Thanks for the input. I hope all will continue to chime in. Maybe eventually it will grow a new head or something, and that might be the deciding factor.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back