Coral ID (Apologies if this is in the wrong forum!)

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, complete newb here so apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I've been setting up my first reef tank for the past few months and picked this up from my LFS at the weekend and forgot to note down what it was. It seems to have settled in well but can anyone ID it for me?

Also is there a good reference guide/app in order to help me identify corals for the future??

Thanks

IMG_0334.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an elegance coral, nice find! As it grows, it'll grow bigger and lose it's round shape, and it'll grow a lot more mouths as well. Good luck with the new coral!
God bless.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

It looks like a elegance coral.

Try this website out as it has a pretty extensive database with specs and pictures. I have ordered a bunch from this site and have had an overall good experience.

I loved this corals look and I wanted it to be an anemone substitute. After much research, I found out that it will eat all kinds of inverts and possibly slow moving fish. This would have been horrible outcome as I have many interesting inverts.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I had no idea it might eat stuff! I only have 1 cleaner shrimp ATM but maybe I'd better not get any more!

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly I've just read that live rock damages these corals. I glued my plug to a chunk of spare live rock I had lying around so its tentacles are draping over it but it seems happy enough (been in my tank a week). Anyone with one of these had any issues with it coming into contact with live rock?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly I've just read that live rock damages these corals. I glued my plug to a chunk of spare live rock I had lying around so its tentacles are draping over it but it seems happy enough (been in my tank a week). Anyone with one of these had any issues with it coming into contact with live rock?
I doubt that's true. Maybe where that comes from is live rock has bacteria on it and elegances tend to be susceptible to bacterial infections. IMO, touching live rock is no different from touching the glass, where some bacteria are. Than from Tidal Gardens said that he's had elegances thrive against the glass. That's just me though- I've never had an elegance. Some corals are just weird in terms of their reactions to the stupidest things.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back