Coral ID + dark spot diagnosis - Favites?

hosfordryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got some of my first corals the other week. Got this coral yesterday and the employees at the shop weren't certain what kind of coral it was. They said it was some sort of favia. Anyone know a more specific ID so I can research the best care for it?

I also noticed these dark spots on it this morning that I don't remember seeing yesterday. Any ideas as to what is happening? It had fallen over a little over the night and was sort of leaning against the rock on one part (maybe the dark spot? Not certain)

I have been having a bit of a green algae problem. It's covering most of the rock and sand. Not sure if that would cause issues with coral health.

The Zoas, duncan, and frogspawn that I added about a week and half ago are all doing well. No signs of distress

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15
Phosphate - 0.03
Alkalinity 8.2

20220807_102352.jpg 20220807_102242.jpg 20220807_102306.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark spot is an area of tissue loss. Doesn't look new to me, as it's dark brown. Brand new loss would show the white skeleton.
You have a favities. You can tell because all the sections share a wall. Favia each have their own wall.
They have a powerful sting, so keep them away from other corals. I keep mine on the bottom of my tank. They don't need super strong light.
As far as other stuff looking good, if you're having water quality issues, it may take several weeks for corals to show stress.
How old is this tank?

OP
OP
H

hosfordryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I should do to help the tissue loss? Not sure how I missed it when picking the coral out yesterday. Will definitely have to inspect corals closer before buying next time.

Tank has been fully cycled for about a month and a half. From what I can tell, the water quality is fine. I'm assuming the algae is just part of the ugly stage. Started with diatoms which went away and were replaced with this green algae.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral looks like a dragon soul 'favia,' which is either favites paraflexuosus, or dipsastraea rosaria.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back